Bear Grylls and Scouting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

havocsdad

Jun 10, 2010
dorset
I know its been done to death on here and he is a bit "marmite" you love him or hate him, but at least he is out there engaging the youngsters which in anyones book must be admired. A colleague of mine met him and his family at this years Southamption Boat show whilst he was working, saw him in Ambulance uniform and took time to say hello and chat with him and told him how respectful he was of all the emergency services and what a great job they do. My mate said he was a great chap even if he didnt realise who he was !

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
He's a really nice guy and i think he was a better choice than Ray mears for scouts as he has a lot more fans with children than Ray, building rafts, jumping out of planes etc is cool when your that age.

Judging by Mears comments regarding grylls and grylls comments regarding mears i think grylls was the better man, also grylls seems to know why people like him and what people like to see him do which ye's great at, also if we look at mears comments about doing the remake its obvious mears would prefer doing different types of programs.

Mears is a half decent woodsman but grylss is a nice guy.

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
Typo on the third paragraph, i was referring to mears being very annoyed about being asked to do the remake of survival as this seems odd given his interests and profession, Though judging by his programs he probably won't mind being on a cooking show.

Also if we look at youtube you'll see a few videos where mears is approached for autographs and he isn't very nice whereas grylls will sign autographs and talk for a few mins( look at the woodlore site mears charges a fortune to talk).

I do prefer mears programs but grylls programs are fun to watch and have some good info, i'd rather go for a pint with grylls than mears.

Typo on the third paragraph, i was referring to mears being very annoyed about being asked to
Also if we look at youtube you'll see a few videos where mears is approached for autographs and he isn't very nice whereas grylls will sign autographs and talk for a few mins( look at the woodlore site mears charges a fortune to talk).

QUOTE]
Would like to see this, link if you have one , kind Sir.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Unless this is off-topic it is worth pointing out that Bear represents an organisation that excludes those who do not subscribe to a god as members including Brownies as well as adults wanting to help. He seems happy to support the distress of young children who in all respects apart from hypocrisy would make very good Scouts. No, the organisation has not changed except I believe it patronisingly accepts assistance from atheists not full members. IOf course those who lie to gain admittance are not really scouts nor are those who lie about the comprehensive nature of Scouting.

"If a scout were to break his honour by telling a lie, .............................................. he would cease to be a scout, and must hand over his scout badge, and never be allowed to wear it again" Baden-Powell

I have no idea of Ray's beliefs which at least have not been paraded.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
Unless this is off-topic it is worth pointing out that Bear represents an organisation that excludes those who do not subscribe to a god as members including Brownies as well as adults wanting to help. He seems happy to support the distress of young children who in all respects apart from hypocrisy would make very good Scouts. No, the organisation has not changed except I believe it patronisingly accepts assistance from atheists not full members. IOf course those who lie to gain admittance are not really scouts nor are those who lie about the comprehensive nature of Scouting.

"If a scout were to break his honour by telling a lie, .............................................. he would cease to be a scout, and must hand over his scout badge, and never be allowed to wear it again" Baden-Powell

Err, no child is excluded from scouting based on faith.
And I can't say anything about brownies as they are part of the guide movement....

Currently adults are required to have a faith, although there has been many discussions on this (I don't agree with it either and am borderline myself (I write unanitarain on the form as it's the closest to my actual faith that I can find))

The general consensus is that if TSA weren't bound by WOSM the rule would probably no longer be there.

Unfortunately WOSM insist on TSA keeping this rule most likely because of the influence of BSA who are very religious (and also exclude gays),

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Good to see the Chief Scout working hard and getting some of the old Scouting values and skills practised

Yep. Great stuff. I wish we had had a televised Scout leader like him, when I was kid in the early seventies.

I know its been done to death on here and he is a bit "marmite" you love him or hate him

Dont love him or hate him. He is ok. As is Mears, Parry, and the rest. [Seems to be a real 'Class' warfare/prejudice thing going on with Eton educated Grylls]

........ referring to mears being very annoyed about being asked to do the remake of survival

Mears series of Survival absolutely sucked in comparison to some of the Sixties/Seventies/Eighties versions....................many of which still stand out today as landmark series and filming.

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

Wow an unbridaled Troll.....

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
My experience of the scouts as a kid was certainly a secular experience. Grylls does 'ham' up the Christianity though. Probably for the American audience?
[I very much doubt he would do that at a scout meeting as a representative of the cubs though mate. Probably told to do, by his USA producers, of the show as it will appeal to a large demographic in America. Maybe the same prat who dances about in a bear suit? :D]
Having said that, certain comparative organisations [The Woodcraft Folk springs to mind] certainly seemed, historically [in the past now?] to push a 'certain version' of a political philosophy, which to my mind is just as unwelcome.

Difficult to find any organisation without an 'agenda' these days isnt it............? :D :(

[Of course Britain went through a 'heck of a time' becoming a secular society, so I dont see anything wrong with reminding people of that...whatever their beliefs......even if they are celebrities]

Last edited:

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton

Please get your facts straight. No Child is excuded from membership and its only an absence of faith which would exclude and adult.

I've been in scouting for 15+years as an agnostic without any problems.

Brownies by the way are members of Girl guiding UK and I'm not sure of their requirements. Funny that religion or Faith plays very little in day to day scouting.

Ahh well

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im an atheist and got though Brownies and Guides with no one questioning my beliefs or lack of.

We were too busy having fun!

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Went to watch my son gain his silver cub award as he moves up to scouts. I was ignorant of the Christian push until then. I was surprised as to how they are ' programming ' them with prayer and hymn. Me an my partner being closer to paganism were the only ones not to join in hymn and prayer.
Nearly all the parents seemed like regular church goers. I'm not going to go on. Just found it all a bit strong and even though I acknowledge the good the movement does , I can't agree with the ' imprinting '

The Mighty Oak Is Merely A Nut Who Stood His Ground

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
i was lucky enough to have lord baden powell as my chief scout but would gladly had bear if he had been in my era as i think he is an all round good bloke and someone the youngsters of today can look up to regards dave:camping:

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
[h=3]The Scout Promise[/h] On my honour, I promise that I will do my best
To do my duty to God and to the Queen,
To help other people
And to keep the Scout Law

Can't see an opt out for a non-believer, I know that hypocrisy is encouraged for non-believers but that isn't the answer. I didn't raise the question of Bear's qualities but this has to be part of the assessment. And to the person who posted that only those lacking a faith as adults are excluded I would say case proven.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Also from the Scouts own website:
[h=2]Faith and spiritual development[/h] The Beliefs and Attitudes zone within Scouting gives young people the opportunity to develop spiritually.
It provides opportunities to explore and develop Scouting values, personal attitudes and a range of beliefs. It is at the heart of all our Scouting Activities.
The Beliefs and Attitudes zone underpins all of the 5 other programme zones for Beavers, Cubs and Scouts; as Values and Relationships for Explorers; and as Skills and Development for Network.
This section deals with incorporating faith events and activities into the Balanced Programme, as well as adapting to the religious beliefs of individual members.
[h=3]What is spiritual development?[/h]Spiritual development implies that leaders and Members should be encouraged to follow the five principles.

1. Develop an inner discipline and training.
  2. Be involved in corporate (group) activities with others.
  3. Understand the world around them.
  4. Help to create a more tolerant and caring society.
  5. Discover the need for prayer and worship, both personal and shared.
These principles are what is meant by spiritual development in The Scout Association and it should be an integral part of every activity, meeting and event.

View What is spiritual development? (FS322021) (PDF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE