Bear Eats Sea Kayak!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Mean ole bear. One day he'll pick the wrong girl in a kayak https://youtu.be/UkC0Qwc5JFk

No comparison. She deliberately called the bear in so she could kill it. It wasn't charging - it was lolloping. Wonder how many arrows it really took to kill it, and how long it took to die.

Hunt for food? No problem with that. Hunt for trophies with bow and arrow? Hmmm. Seen too many videos on youtube of "hunters" taking game with bows and arrows - the game ends up looking like a pincushion.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Hunt for food? No problem with that. Hunt for trophies with bow and arrow? Hmmm.

Have to agree wholeheartedly... if that video was meant to be some sort of sport, sorry, but I just don't get it. The bear didn't appear to be even paying attention.

Watching it again and through the end, which I didn't do the first time, she is making a sport of killing bull bears.

Have to say, pretty disgusting in this day and age... if you want a thrill, ride a *%&$ing roller coaster, jump out of a plane... blimey, even set yourself on fire and jump into a lake... but why kill a bear to get a buzz?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes she called it in (that's why it's called a "predator call") ALL modern hunting is for sport. Most of us eat our quarry (apart from wild hogs and coyote and such we're killing for the express purpose of vermin elimination) or share it with someone who does (including her eating the bear) but virtually NONE of us depend on it. The "food" aspect is just a bonus.

How many arrows did it take? Considering she (Melissa Bachman) is a professional hunter who makes these hunting videos for a living, it's safe to bet this one (like all her other quarry) took a single arrow; to be honest, you just don't get second shots when bowhunting. At least not often enough to change any game counts.

How long did it take to die? Hard to tell with the video editing, but normal for a heart/lung shot such as that is from one to three minutes. More than acceptable.

We finally have a bear population in Florida large enough to sustain hunting again. Cost of Bear permit is $100 for state residents and more for non-residents. The hoped harvest is for a total of 320 statewide with quotas per individual areas http://myfwc.com/media/3004350/bear-hunting-draft-rule-summary.pdf

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Have to agree wholeheartedly... if that video was meant to be some sort of sport, sorry, but I just don't get it. The bear didn't appear to be even paying attention.....

Not paying attention? He was running in to investigate what he thought was a wounded animal (the sound coming from her game call)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Blimey... so it pays attention to an intentional call to lure it in.

I meant it wasn't paying attention to her... it wasn't offering any threat in other words.

Wow, all modern hunting is done for sport... well that makes it okay then. If its all done for sport, what the devil would anyone have to complain about?

So you're essentially defending killing something for fun? Really? That is the level we're at now... running outdoors to kill something like a bear just because it gives a bit of buzz to pretend it was a threat?

As far as it taking a single arrow... is that meant to make anyone feel better? She shouldn't have been shooting the thing in the first place, unless it was a direct threat, which you've already said isn't the case because she 'game called' it in!! I mean what the %^&*?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Blimey... so it pays attention to an intentional call to lure it in.

I meant it wasn't paying attention to her... it wasn't offering any threat in other words.......That is the level we're at now... running outdoors to kill something like a bear just because it gives a bit of buzz to pretend it was a threat?......

"Threat?" No. A "danger?" Yes, because she called it in looking for a meal. A self created danger? Yeah; so what. Threat or no, danger or no; what does that actually have to do with it? (granted the danger makes it a bit more fun)

Turkey aren't a "threat."
Quail aren't a "threat."
Doves aren't a "threat."
Deer aren't a "threat."
Geese aren't a "threat."
Antelope (Wapiti) aren't a "threat."
Mountain Goats (nor Dall Sheep nor Nelson's Sheep) aren't a "threat."
Rabbits aren't a "threat." Squirrels aren't a "threat."
Raccoons aren't a "threat."
Elk aren't a "threat."
Caribou aren't a "threat"
Moose aren't a "threat" (usually)
MOST of the critters we hunt aren't a "threat."

But damn! They're fun to hunt.

I'm guessing none of y'all ever watched the weekend hunting shows on tv as a kid?

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....As far as it taking a single arrow... is that meant to make anyone feel better? .....

It was meant to answer an erroneous comment (from somebody with an obvious dislike for bowhunting) that it took more.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Wow, all modern hunting is done for sport... well that makes it okay then.....

No, that's not what makes it Ok. Nothing is needed to "make it Ok." it just is Ok in and of itself. No justification is required.

However it gets very, very, very tiresome hearing somebody whining because they "don't get it" that people actually do enjoy hunting for it's own sake.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
lol

Whining.

Kill a animal for the sake of it and you're the noble one.

:bigok:

Idiot.

Ahhh. Now that's a real cultural difference. We don't consider hunting as something for the "noble." It's the sport of commoners, leaders, rich and poor. That's why we keep all the costs down so EVERYBODY can afford it.

So in answer to your comment; no, it doesn't make me "noble." It makes me "normal" and unashamed to not be squeamish.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Squeamish?

Justify it anyway you want to. I've killed for food, I've killed to stop an animal suffering, but for fun?

Nope.

Normal? Define normal for me? There is no such thing when it comes to a human being.

Cultural difference? I could understand that if there was a point, but there isn't. It is killing an animal for the sake of your own ego... and whilst I appreciate we will never agree on this, I object to you referring to me as whining. That is why I classified you as an idiot. It has nothing to do with your willingness to kill an animal for sport, it is more the fact that you're so ignorant you can not see that someone might disagree with your practice on moral grounds.

Feel free to continue your justification (or whatever) and what I suspect is a wind up with your 'costs down so everybody can afford it' but frankly, if you're willing to take a life for the sport of it, you're not really worth listening to.

I wasn't fully aware until today what my view was and how strongly felt it was, which is why I've watched video after video of so-called hunters. Now I know.

Incidently the word noble in this context has nothing to do with culture... try of an exalted moral or mental character or excellence... or admirable in dignity of conception, manner of expression, execution, or composition... or very impressive or imposing in appearance... or of an admirably high quality; notably superior; excellent.

Whatever. Nothing noble in killing an animal for fun.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Cultural difference? I could understand that if there was a point, but there isn't. It is killing an animal for the sake of your own ego........

Ego? "Fun" and "ego" aren't synonomous. It's loads of fun to eat popcorn and watch a movie too but I really don't see how it does anything for the ego. The "ego" only comes into play if you're driven to do it better than anybody else.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Squeamish?............ It has nothing to do with your willingness to kill an animal for sport, it is more the fact that you're so ignorant you can not see that someone might disagree with your practice on moral grounds.......

Actually I classify that entire "moral" view as a squeamishness.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Feel free to continue your justification (or whatever) and what I suspect is a wind up with your 'costs down so everybody can afford it' but frankly, if you're willing to take a life for the sport of it, you're not really worth listening to.....

Perhaps you've forgotten, no justification is required. 12.48 million licensed hunters (and untold millions more that don't require a license) are more than enough evidence of "normal."

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Incidently the word noble in this context has nothing to do with culture... try of an exalted moral or mental character or excellence... or admirable in dignity of conception, manner of expression, execution, or composition... or very impressive or imposing in appearance... or of an admirably high quality; notably superior; excellent.......

Exactly what the "nobility" claimed as their traits.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's an enormous gulf between what europeans believe(!) and what those of us in western North America actually do.
I don't give a sweet rat's patootie what you think of my hunting for food. Birds, big game = all the same to me.
Bears are good to eat, like all other big game here. I'm really good at birds = if it flies, it dies.
I have a good annual source for bison.
So, I barter that with friends for moose/elk/deer. I don't eat white-faced range maggots.

Seems to be several threads here, tangled in a knot. You want food? Real food? Real meat? Get your buns over here.
Opportunist hunting would give me a diversity of meats that I'd really like.

In the meantime, play nice and learn what we do for food.
How many dozen grouse do you put in your freezer each autumn?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Must say I'm allready tempted to shut this thread down as I can see it turning into a worse slanging match. Hunting for vermin control/fun are things that both side can get emotive about and there are heavy cultural differences between the U.S.A./Europe/U.K. Which I don't see being sorted out peacefully.
So NO personal pops at each other and wind all your necks in please.
GB with Mod hat on.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE