Bear Eats Sea Kayak!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I think the bigger mistake was that apparently she was on this trip alone.

Really? *REALLY*?

Men have been exploring the wilderness alone for millennia, but a woman can't? Do you always take someone with you when you visit the wilderness?

No, her mistake was thinking that in the 21st century she could post a video of her interactions with a bear online without receiving criticisms for her appearance (audible rather than visual in this case).

J

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Really? *REALLY*?

Men have been exploring the wilderness alone for millennia, but a woman can't? Do you always take someone with you when you visit the wilderness?

No, her mistake was thinking that in the 21st century she could post a video of her interactions with a bear online without receiving criticisms for her appearance (audible rather than visual in this case).

J

Actually her mistake was sitting in the forest cabin eating her lunch without first securing her canoe in a safe place. That was her real mistake, because if she'd done that, she would never have encounter the bear in the first instance.

And please, stop with this 'Woman can't' business... Santa made no reference to her not being out alone because she was a woman... he was simply saying it is probably a mistake to be out there alone. It is you who has assigned the "Its because she was a woman" line.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Really? *REALLY*?

Men have been exploring the wilderness alone for millennia, but a woman can't? Do you always take someone with you when you visit the wilderness?.....

I go out into the woods alone. BUT! I absolutely DO always take somebody with me when exploring the real wilderness. We're talking about Alaska, not some rural area back east or in Europe.

Yes men have been exploring alone for millennium. They've also been dying alone for millennium. What's you're point? That men can be (and often are) stupid too? If so, I'll agree now.

No traveling companion = no back-up kayak with separate supplies in case of losing hers.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Tell you one thing. If it was a dude with that voice, folks would take the mick even more......hows that for yer sexual equality :D
Seriously though. It would have been the same if it was a bloke with funny voice

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Tell you one thing. If it was a dude with that voice, folks would take the mick even more......hows that for yer sexual equality :D
Seriously though. It would have been the same if it was a bloke with funny voice

Are you saying you'd take the mick more just because he was a MAN?!? :eek:

You need to take a look at yourself. Disgusting! :p

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Actually her mistake was sitting in the forest cabin eating her lunch without first securing her canoe in a safe place. That was her real mistake, because if she'd done that, she would never have encounter the bear in the first instance.

That is entirely plausible.

And please, stop with this 'Woman can't' business... Santa made no reference to her not being out alone because she was a woman... he was simply saying it is probably a mistake to be out there alone. It is you who has assigned the "Its because she was a woman" line.

Would everything said in this thread be said if rather than being a woman with a high pitched voice, it was a bloke with a growly voice?

Would you tell a man not to go into the wilderness alone?

I go out into the woods alone. BUT! I absolutely DO always take somebody with me when exploring the real wilderness. We're talking about Alaska, not some rural area back east or in Europe.

Ah, so now we don't get real wilderness in Europe, I'll let the Scandiwegians know...

Yes men have been exploring alone for millennium. They've also been dying alone for millennium. What's you're point? That men can be (and often are) stupid too? If so, I'll agree now.

No traveling companion = no back-up kayak with separate supplies in case of losing hers.

Does that make it wrong to venture into the wilderness alone? If done with proper planning, proper equipment and training, it shouldn't be a problem, sure the risks are greater, but so are the rewards. As long as those doing it know and understand the risks, what's the problem?

J

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I would if he had the same voice as the woman in the vid.....i'd be well within my rights too :D
Was that even a woman in the vid? I'm so PC i don't even see gender anymore :p

Julia, we're just being lighthearted. *Don't get yer knickers in a twist *

*couldn't resist that one. Hey, if you can't laugh :D

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
That is the whole point though, she didn't plan it properly... if she had, she'd have secured the canoe and probably not had the encounter with the bear.

As for whether a man would have had the same criticism, I can't speak for others, but I personally would have been equally as critical and equally amused by the video.

Not one person has said she shouldn't have gone it alone because she was a woman. That is an argument of your own construction and bias. Sorry, I don't mean to offend... but this has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with stupidity from the maker of the video, who happens to be a woman.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
OK - voice was kinda funny - surely no-one can dispute that? Although I did kinda sympathise with her plight, as the pleas got more and more desperate! I'm sure I'd heve felt the same way, seeing a much-loved bit of kit being demolished by something with big teeth and bigger claws that was 10 times stronger than I was!

As to the "bear-expert" ranger saying she should have confronted the bear to drive him away. Really? No cases on record of a black bear actually killing humans? The woman can tell at a glance that the bear wasn't carrying an injury, or was otherwise so desperate for food that it wouldn't act predictably? Or just irritable that day?

And was she in any great danger where she was, with presumably a cabin just behind her that she could lock herself into, plus the bear spray? And as someone who paddles 100+ miles alone in those conditions, presumably has a sat-phone in case of emergencies, and has left a record of her planned trip with forest rangers etc in case she doesn't return on time? Plus the boat anchored just off the beach?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE