Bear Eats Sea Kayak!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Animal ecologists often estimate that predators catch no more than 10% of the prey population.
In 50+ years of grouse hunting, some days, I never miss, some days I can't hit the broad side of a barn.
Hindsight says I harvest maybe 15% of the grouse I see, grouse that give me a reasonable expectation of a clean shot.
Our Ruffed Grouse are forest birds which commonly escape simply by running through the underbrush.

Our local limit is 10/day (I've actually done that 4 times.) with a bag total of 60 (got to 55 one year.)
Clean, good-tasting, organic chickens.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Dewi, without knowing you better i wouldn't be sure if you can understand what the hunt means to a hunter. I was born to it and its just a part of my being
personally what i hunt, i hunt for justifiable reasons but i respect your right to disagree. Fair is definately fair.....i tried to get that across in my last post but lunchtime was running short :D

Don't get me wrong Sunndog, I don't disagree with hunting... we've done it for thousands and thousands of years, it is how we survived, even after farming came about. I don't object to guns, bows, crossbows, traps or fishing. What I object to is it being done for 'sport', the only objective being fun, which was my initial objection in this thread.

Fishing is slightly different because catching a fish doesn't mean the fish is dead, it can be released... but other animals, if you shoot to kill, my belief is simply that it should be something you're going to eat, or it is an animal that needs to be controlled for the greater good.

Killing a bear that happens upon a town and poses a direct threat to human life... that isn't done for fun, its done to preserve life. Killing a bear wandering in the middle of nowhere for the thrill of the hunt, pretty abhorrent (unless that bear is going to be supper) and for the most part, people say bear tastes good. I wouldn't know... never eaten one.

I've hunted myself, for food, so I'd be a first class hypocrite to kick up a fuss about the act of hunting... my objection is to killing something purely for the fun of it, which is what the girl in the video with the bow and arrow appeared to be doing. Fine and well, she didn't kill a 'defenceless' animal because I don't think anyone would class a bear as defenceless, but she called it in and lured it to its death. Is she going to eat the bear? If so, fair play... but if her only reason for killing it is so she can stand over it with a stupid grin for a trophy shot... I object.

Anyway, its not as if I'm going to don a cape and mask, thwarting the trophy hunters in a single bound... its just an opinion, ironically about what is sporting.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I cannot help feeling that it would all be a bit fairer, and more fun, if the animals had the same weapons as the hunters. Or say grouse all got a grenade.............

I suppose that's one way to look at it. But do we get the same weapons (or countermeasures) that the quarry get? Do we get the 6 inch fangs and claws of the bear? The speed of the deer? The wings of the grouse? The sense of smell of MOST quarry? I'd say our weaponry is just our more developed brains compensating for the physical differences.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......I've hunted myself, for food, so I'd be a first class hypocrite to kick up a fuss about the act of hunting... my objection is to killing something purely for the fun of it, which is what the girl in the video with the bow and arrow appeared to be doing. Fine and well, she didn't kill a 'defenceless' animal because I don't think anyone would class a bear as defenceless, but she called it in and lured it to its death. Is she going to eat the bear? If so, fair play... but if her only reason for killing it is so she can stand over it with a stupid grin for a trophy shot... I object.

Anyway, its not as if I'm going to don a cape and mask, thwarting the trophy hunters in a single bound... its just an opinion, ironically about what is sporting.

Well in Melissa's case I'll have to admit she's not doing it "purely" for fun; it's how she makes her living. That said it's obvious she definitely enjoys her work. Is she going to eat the bear? Given her background and the normal protocols for pros like her, I'd say she'll have a meal or two and the rest will be sold or donated.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Fishing is slightly different because catching a fish doesn't mean the fish is dead, it can be released... but other animals, if you shoot to kill, my belief is simply that it should be something you're going to eat, or it is an animal that needs to be controlled for the greater good.....

I rarely release any fish; they're just too good to let go. That said, those who DO practice catch & release don't usually fish for the harder deep water sea fish; they just don't have much chance at recovery after an hour (or several hours) fight to land them. Especially the ones that have to be fought up from the depths. It's POSSIBLE but not reliably so.

All that said, if I ever catch one of record size, it's more likely going to end up on my wall than on my plate.

Just to clarify; why do you say "unless you're going to eat it?" Do you have a problem with donating meat to charities, gifting it to friends, selling it on the market, feeding the dogs, etc?

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No - I don't shoot stuff on the wing, or when they're moving. I'm not into injuring animals by potting away on the off-chance I'll injure it sufficiently to get to it. Hence I no longer use shotguns other than clay pigeon. I now only hunt with air-rifles, and only pull the trigger when I'm sure about the head shot. Sure, I could end up with a much larger bag if I hit anywhere on the body, but that's not me.

It's not entirely the "bigger bag" that's an issue. Generally it's illegal to shoot game birds on the ground. Nor or there many still deer in front of the dogs. Also generally air rifles aren't legal weapons over here (some leeway is given in your own yard as the law is generally unenforcable there) and many populated areas don't allow rifles (shotguns or bows only) Nowhere allows any thing other than shotgun or bows on game birds.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Well, over here, pigeons aren't regarded as game birds! And most of the time the pigeons I hunt are in trees or barns. Although if one was on the ground, and I could get a clear shot, I wouldn't rule it out.

Actually, reading the above makes it seem like I'm constantly on the prowl with trusty air-rifle! I'm not. It is an occasional thing only.

Interesting to hear that air rifles aren't legal in the US. Crosman, Beeman, Gamo , Daisy and a whole host of others advertise and sell them over there - Walmart, KMart and all the sporting stores have a selection of them! There are even loonies who make huge air-rifles with massive compressed air cylinders who use them to hunt big game!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Interesting to hear that air rifles aren't legal in the US. Crosman, Beeman, Gamo , Daisy and a whole host of others advertise and sell them over there - Walmart, KMart and all the sporting stores have a selection of them! There are even loonies who make huge air-rifles with massive compressed air cylinders who use them to hunt big game!

Perhaps I worded it poorly. They're legal to own and shoot, but their legality to hunt with is severely limited. Here in Florida the only game legal with air rifles are Grey Squirrels and Rabbits. Here's a link to the relevant page of the FWC regs http://myfwc.com/hunting/regulations/taking-game

Specifically, here's the relevant paragragh:

Resident game birds and mammals:

Rifles, shotguns, pistols, longbows, compound bows, recurve bows, crossbows and birds of prey (falcons, hawks and great horned owls) may be used. Longbows, compound bows and recurve bows must have minimum draw weights of 35 pounds. Hand-held releases may be used. Arrows and bolts used to take deer, turkeys or bears must be equipped with broadheads having at least two sharpened edges with
minimum widths of 7/8 inch. Nonmigratory game can be taken from stationary vehicles. Gray squirrels and rabbits are the only game animals that can be taken with air guns.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well, over here, pigeons aren't regarded as game birds! And most of the time the pigeons I hunt are in trees or barns.....

Nor are they here; but shooting pigeons wouldn't be considered hunting here. Rather like shooting flying rats TBH, and yeah, that sort of thing is perfectly legal.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Reading this thread, I'm appalled at everyone mocking a woman for her voice. She stood upto a bear. And all you have to do whine that her voice is that high?

Seriously guys, look at yourselves. Disgusting.

J

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Reading this thread, I'm appalled at everyone mocking a woman for her voice. She stood upto a bear. And all you have to do whine that her voice is that high?

Seriously guys, look at yourselves. Disgusting.

J

Personally I was more amused by what she said rather than how she said it, comic timing and all that. The fact she was a woman was irrelevant, and not to nitpick, but she wasn't standing up to a bear, she was standing up for her canoe... monumentally stupid when faced with a bear. The fact she isn't up for a Darwin Award is sheer luck!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Personally I was more amused by what she said rather than how she said it, comic timing and all that. The fact she was a woman was irrelevant, and not to nitpick, but she wasn't standing up to a bear, she was standing up for her canoe... monumentally stupid when faced with a bear. The fact she isn't up for a Darwin Award is sheer luck!

I you were in a remote wilderness and a bear was chewing up your only way out, you'd probably say some pretty silly things too.

And yes she did stand up to it, she sprayed pepper spray in it's face.

Think about what you say on here. Would you say it to her face? If not, then don't say it here.

J

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I you were in a remote wilderness and a bear was chewing up your only way out, you'd probably say some pretty silly things too.

Think about what you say on here. Would you say it to her face? If not, then don't say it here.

J

If I met her tomorrow, I'd shake her hand... but if she asked me to express an opinion, I'd say exactly what I've said on here. She's lucky not to be in receipt of a Darwin Award.

Put in the same scenario, I wouldn't have given a monkies about the canoe... once the bear started to walk away, so would I... in the opposite direction. When the bear started attacking the kayak/canoe, there is little or no chance of getting it back in one piece, so immediately you have to find another way off the island, which ultimately she did.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
A ranger who is an expert in bears in the region said what she should have done was to continue advancing and driven the bear off. He said that was her only mistake.

So not a Darwin award candidate at all.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
A ranger who is an expert in bears in the region said what she should have done was to continue advancing and driven the bear off. He said that was her only mistake.

But she didn't do what the ranger who is an expert in bears in the region said to do, so candidate for the Darwin Award had the bear turned on her. It may well have been her only mistake, but it only takes one mistake in that scenario.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If I met her tomorrow, I'd shake her hand... but if she asked me to express an opinion, I'd say exactly what I've said on here. She's lucky not to be in receipt of a Darwin Award.

Put in the same scenario, I wouldn't have given a monkies about the canoe... once the bear started to walk away, so would I... in the opposite direction.......

She was in Alaska, Not a few miles from town somewhere in Europe. Depending on her exact location that canoe could well have been her only way of getting back to safety. Not enough details to know whether that was the situation or not though.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
She was in Alaska, Not a few miles from town somewhere in Europe. Depending on her exact location that canoe could well have been her only way of getting back to safety. Not enough details to know whether that was the situation or not though.

Watch the video again... whats that in the background floating on the water?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

J

All in all she did pretty well but yeah, with a Black Bear she could have been a bit more aggressive with better results. Was that her only mistake? I think the bigger mistake was that apparently she was on this trip alone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE