Beadwork

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Ah yes. The Zoo. A home away from home. Hitching post.
Was nice to be there.
Art was a wealthy prospector, his skills were very much in demand.
He pitched a camp at Red Kelly's fly-in place on Nipew, I had a rented cabin there for fisheries research.
My piece of the river runs from Black Bear Island Lake to Keg Falls.

Do you remember the 21' Chestnut freighters with Vee sterns?

Weary readers, let me translate.
The Zoo is aptly named, in that day and time, the only bar in Lac La Ronge, SK.
Full of sharks, pigs, wolves and about every other animal you can name.

I speak of wider parts of the Churchill River. Sort of fake lakes with a current.
Canada's fur trade highway. The Chestnut freighter is a very large canoe which can hold
a couple of 45gal drums of gas and a whole family. We might be able to fit a dead
moose in there but 2 loads would be safer.

Damndest boats on this planet.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Do you remember the 21' Chestnut freighters with Vee sterns?

The Chestnut freighter is a very large canoe which can hold
a couple of 45gal drums of gas and a whole family. We might be able to fit a dead
moose in there but 2 loads would be safer.

Damndest boats on this planet.

Out of use before my time I'm afraid, but I know of them. There's still the occasional one to be found rotting away in the bush. A shame really, beautiful canoes. I found one that still had the painted canvas mostly intact.

Anyway, I've managed to take a couple other pics showing more detail of the floral patterns. The mitts are moosehide with beaver trim. The jacket is also moosehide, but the lighter coloured hide is caribou. Both are traditionally smoke tanned.
sI10qVt.jpg

zbQKbQ5.jpg

IXHVfaP.jpg

Sadly, I used to fit this jacket. Now I'm too darned fat.:eek:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That is art. Those are the things I remember.
The smokey moose hide.
These days, my pronghorn shirt would fit like a leather leotard.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I wonder if the symmetrical flower designs didn't evolve from the far older aboriginal art form
of birch bark biting. Google birch bark biting and Select Images.

I bought some from a native woman in the city of Prince George, BC.
Every summer, she travelled to N. Sask for supplies.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I wonder if the symmetrical flower designs didn't evolve from the far older aboriginal art form of birch bark biting.

I honestly don't know. Possibly, in some areas, but here the Dene don't do birch bark biting, at least not to my knowledge. Here it's done by the Cree people, and even at that it's relatively little known.
Another beautiful art form is moose and caribou hair tufting, which also has floral designs, like this http://www.carmackscap.com/html/twyla/technique.htm

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
They are beautiful but a little too busy for my likes.

I like the jacket though. Now I have jacket envy.

I made a couple of Lukhas for my Very Deserving support staffs christmas presents. They were very pleased and you can hardly get them out of them now.

(They are the envy of their friends now too.)

But they were undecorated apart from colored blanket stitching...No doubt your wife would find them very drab.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
They are beautiful but a little too busy for my likes.

I like the jacket though. Now I have jacket envy.

I made a couple of Lukhas for my Very Deserving support staffs christmas presents. They were very pleased and you can hardly get them out of them now.

(They are the envy of their friends now too.)

But they were undecorated apart from colored blanket stitching...No doubt your wife would find them very drab.

Tengu, I'm unfamiliar with Lukhas. Do you have a pic?

I showed the gloves in post #19 and the mitts and jacket in post #23 to better demonstrate the floral patterns in Dene beading.
I think I may have caused a bit of confusion though in showing these along with my wife's work.
To clarify, the three items I mentioned above were made by my wife's mother, while everything else shown has been made by my wife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE