Be-Well Expedition Foods - I'm impressed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Hi all,

Recently I was looking for some decent ration packs for my Explorers to use on thier Cheif Scout expeditions. I wanted Dehydrated, and after my experience years back of Raven Meals, I wanted to make sure I found a decent ration pack for them.

I cam across Be-well, who do a whole range of expedition foods, dry and wet (Link). I wanted to find a decent dehydrated pack, to keep the weight down, so had a look at the 24 hr pack they do called the Day Pack Base Camp - 2400 kcal.

I presented the Explorers with the menu choices and let them choose, and ordered a couple of extras to test. They all went for either menu 4 or menu 7.

I have to say, I am really impressed with the quality of them and the taste. I tried the Chilli (menu 4), it had a nice spicey kick, and was very filling. The Flapjack was very nice, as was the hot chocklate. Feedback from my Explorers was that the museli was nicer than the hot cereal for breakfast. The isotonic drink was not all that great, and if made up and left in the drinks bottle smelt revolting!

In all, for a dehydrated ration pack I was very impressed. What made it even better as that when I contacted Be-Well, and explained that I was looking to place an order with them for Scouting, they did me them for trade price, and promised trade price in the future.

BAsed on what I found with the dry packs, I intend to at some point try the wet, to see how they measure up. They also do a self heating wet pack too.

In all, for those who like to use rat packs, I'd recommend a look.

Rob

BobvanVelzen

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2010
Netherlands
I work in an outdoor shop in the Netherlands, and you would be surprised how many people think dehydrated food tastes like carp. I could live of them for weeks and still be satisfied and not bored. My advice: stay away from patatoes, and pick rice meals of pasta. Take some dried fruits and nuts for some variation in the meals. Ans always add less water then it says on the instructions, no one likes soup...

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Be aware that some of the meals contain aspartame as a sweetener. I could eat them to survive, but I'd have a blinding headache if I did. :(

jack by the hedge

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2009
Leeds, W.yorks
I used their high Kcal packs for a wee trip I took to the Arctic this year. There was a small mess up in the order which the company sorted out very quickly. The food tasted good, easy to use (snow everywhere so no need to carry water) and did the job. I'll be using them again in the future.

JBTH

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
Aspartame? What a shame. For me, numb 'rubber' lips, stinking headaches and a foul irritable temper are good reasons to steer clear. On a positive note, menus 1 & 4 look to be clear of the stuff

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'd avoid rice myself as the rice doesn't hydrate that easily. Noodles and pasta are best IMHO.

Check out outrdoorsgrub.co.uk (or similar without the s). They are pretty good and all their stock of brands and meals are what the owner recommends and has tried and approved of. Not too bad on price. Plus they have an expeditions website too for bulk orders. I often wonder if there would be the opportunity or interest for a group buy. You need to be spending over £100 before you start getting decent savings over their standard prices which seem cheaper than most other retailers anyway. They do Turmat (expensive but THE best tasting), Be-well and the French company called MX-3. They do a few USA ones too but only vegetarian due to regulations over importation of meat based products. Worth looking at that website. BTW the MX-3 company has made the closest to non-dehydrated foods in terms of taste. I mean say a Chinese takeaway standard after re-hydrating. It shocked me and made me involutarily make those "Mmmmm" noises we all make when something is tasty!!

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Good review Rob, thanks.
I have one quick question though, do the freeze dried pouches have a food manufacturer identification code like the one bellow and if so what is it?
euidentificationmark.jpg

Some times a certain type of food can be available from several other packagers at different prices.
Expedition Food's chicken korma(800+kcal, £5.99) and Mountain House's chicken korma(800+kcal, £7.49) are both manufacture by European Freeze Dry(UK PN015 EEC) but have a big difference in price.
I'm just curious, thanks.
Happy trails...torc.

Last edited:

spartacus

Forager
Sep 10, 2010
Bulgaria
Hi guys, stumbled upon this site and I think you will find it very interesting. I have taken with relish and sucess making my own fruit leather and crystalised orange and grapefruit peel. Tried them out on friends (civilians not into our lifestyle) and they have been well recieved.

This guy on the other hand takes things to a new and unexpected level for me. Here is the address.

http://www.backpackingchef.com/dehydrating-food.html

Let me know what you think please. I'm for buying a dehydrator lol.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Aspartame? What a shame. For me, numb 'rubber' lips, stinking headaches and a foul irritable temper...

Bad temper eh? Not heard of that one before, must look into this a bit more. I do remember going through a bad-tempered patch myself a few years ago, and I couldn't understand it because I normally keep on a fairly even keel. It's a few years since I cut out all the fizzy drinks (I still love 'em but I daren't drink them so I stick to sparkling water at 8p/litre from Tesco). Looking back that was about the time I seemed to stop struggling for patience. Maybe modern foodstuffs have more to answer for than we all think...

On a positive note, menus 1 & 4 look to be clear of the stuff

Yes, it looks that way. I still think I'd make a specific enquiry of the manufacturer before stocking up on them though.

Last edited:

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Bad temper eh? Not heard of that one before, must look into this a bit more. I do remember going through a bad-tempered patch myself a few years ago, and I couldn't understand it because I normally keep on a fairly even keel. It's a few years since I cut out all the fizzy drinks (I still love 'em but I daren't drink them so I stick to sparkling water at 8p/litre from Tesco). Looking back that was about the time I seemed to stop struggling for patience. Maybe modern foodstuffs have more to answer for than we all think...

If you've never read the book "Your Body's Many Cries for Water"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Bodys-...5882/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306408037&sr=8-1

you really should. It'll have you checking the labels of everything in case it has aspartame in it. Awful stuff:red:

Been thinking about a dehydrator for a while now and this thread has kicked it off again. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE