be prepared

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Just a comment from an old man.
I am burnt out, used up. Been shot, stabbed, slashed, broken, fractured, crushed, bruised, contused, burnt, frost bitten just plain mangled.
Most of this was in the service of others. I have but little time left (don’t sweat it I don’t).

I am Iroquois, very proud of my people, my race to the point of vanity. I have some Scottish and French blood in me (does not help with humility) but I am savage through and through. I am a tracker from a long line of trackers, I am not a “warrior” my father was the last warrior in our line, it has another meaning, responsibility in my culture.

Too many times I read of “the more I know the less I have to carry”, some try to justify it by putting parameters that are self serving, others by being ultralight, nothing has ever happened to me, so stop being paranoid.

Even with the “limited knowledge” I have I still carry a small kit, always, as my ancestors did. It’s ever changing, improving, evolving, but always present. What I carry I do expect to use, that why I have it.
No one plans to get “lost”, actually the just gone for a short walk is a common scenario.

A couple I was sent to take out had just started in the morning for a small warm up hike 6:00am, this was in the evening, They each had a 500ml water bottle (now empty), a light windbreaker, I was sent to find them in a series of trails. I had spare “yuppie runner” that one of them wore (makes it easier), found their track and started to follow. I soon found them, they were in the process of making what they thought a debris shelter looked like, a good wind would have blown it away in a few minutes. I gave them water, they had run out early in the morning (it was now 5:15pm). Walked them out, the worst of it was that they were on a beginner trail (hence not meeting anyone else that day), a loop trail that is, they had walked all day in a circle. The plan was just a short walk, nothing needed…. It was the easiest rescue I ever had, but it just goes to show you, be prepared.
I had left a family dinner gathering, to get them, no pay ever, not in my culture. I even brought them with me for the rest of the evening. If you have lost the point of this rant, just take a small kit, practice what you need to and be realistic of your capabilities.

I am an old man, to used up to go anymore, not many like me left, it’s up to you, be safe be prepared. YO

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ah - a small pack of essentials is very useful ... but counts for nothing if you leave your brain behind!
"Be Prepared" is a great motto - one I try to live by - and I am constantly amazed that folk are constantly amazed that I can produce that "needed thing" when they have not even thought to bring anything along....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes :)

Thing is too, carry less by knowing more only really works if you know the land, if you understand the land, and the weather.
The corollary is that the more you do, the more likely you are to see how much we truly need to learn.

People who go out of their way to find others, who put effort into restoring others safely to their families, should be highly valued and respected.

In my society, among my people, it's known as giving someone their 'place'; it's a respectful courtesy to acknowledge experience, capability, and a lifetime's learning. tsitenha I hope your community gives you your place :)

kind regards,
Mary

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Best advice in a long while.

I try to plan trips carefully...Part of my condition means if I have a setback my brain freezes...Not much good then. Planning helps.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
relying on equipment though is a false hope for some, especially where you come from, some people are ill prepared with there own limits too. What of bears do you take a firearm with you ?
local knowledge and community relations are far more relevant than modern methods like gps. the old ways are often forgotten, and people hold to modern more sterile ways of thought. Modern equipment puts people into more and more precarious positions.

A riddle -

be prepared for your gps to fail ?

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
petrochemicals, I am unsure of how to understand your post. I did post of knowing your capabilities (knowledge/proficiency with kit and knowledge). The physical kit has little value just resting on your back, that being said when in need I would rather spend time making/improving a shelter, adding firewood etc... than making fire by friction (how fast can you do it (realistically, repeated,)) how many branches wrought off tree trunks as opposed to being cut/chopped. Being efficient has nothing to do with going modern. A sandwich , can of beans rather than hunting gathering the next meal. My point was having something and knowledge/ability to use it, kit is for bush being rather than dedicated camping but suit yourself.
I am or most people not in their immediate local so I must offset chance in my favor.
Don't know how to answer your question better than this typing, talking at the end of day, around a campfire share the knowledge best for us.

I don't carry a firearm unless hunting or subsistence trekking. If I was that concerned about bears then a can of bear spray would be best used.
This is meant in the best way, if I misunderstood.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
well I suppose the point I was aiming at was ultralight lures people into a false sense of security, but so does modern equipment in general.

Nice piece. Be prepared I agree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE