BCUK Springwatch Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Okay, it is still January, but the days are getting longer, and I'm starting to see the first signs of sping growth. I thought we could start a thread for "first sightings" of things - bud break, flowers, insects and so forth.

Let me start the ball rolling:

New green growth of Mullein, Knapweed, Cleavers, Nettle, Primrose, Foxglove, Buttercups, Wild Strawberry, Bramble, Dock, and Spurge. Plus various ferns, especially Hartstongue. Also spring bulbs pushing through in the flower beds at work.
A few daisies in flower, nothing else yet
Hazel catkins in evidence today.
I did see some oak bud break, but that was cheating since the oak had been felled and so was putting everything into a final flowering effort.
Oh, and some lovely oyster mushrooms from a fallen poplar yesterday.

Pictures very welcome. :)

Mahikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2008
Canada
www.mahikan.ca
Okay, it is still January, but the days are getting longer, and I'm starting to see the first signs of sping growth. I thought we could start a thread for "first sightings" of things - bud break, flowers, insects and so forth. :)

Sigh... sadly here in the Canadian Rockies we are still under tons of snow, finally a break from the - 30 degree celsius temps (went to 0 today :) ) So I shall live vicariously through your springwatch and join in around May?

Mahikan

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Okay, it is still January, but the days are getting longer, and I'm starting to see the first signs of sping growth.

Don't speak too soon. We could still be in for another major freeze before Spring gets a look-in. Right now we are just having a temporary respite.

I thought we could start a thread for "first sightings" of things - bud break, flowers, insects and so forth.

Can I include a "last sightings"? I found some Mycena inclinata last week - an autumn species of fungi which ought not to be growing in January at all. They think it is still autumn!

file.php

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Very excited. We still have some snow but have seen tracks of a Pine marten in the woods next my house. Will have to set up observation post once it warms up a bit. Also flock of Scottish crossbills.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Last Sunday (9 January) was a day of glorious sunshine which produced much bird activity on my walk with the dog round the wood....several parties of long-tailed tits, some noise and activity from a buzzard and the resident ravens and, for the first time this year, from the mistle thrushes. But the thing which really hit home was a pair of hares in the middle of a field of rape....they were really going for it with their dancing routine, circling around then "boxing" on their hind legs. I've seen this many times closer to and in March but never this early. I wondered if it was a reaction to it being the first relatively warm day of prolonged sunshine after a month of bitter cold....?

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I have never seen boxing Stu would love to see that.
Its too warm for me in Shrops at the mo dont seem natural. Having a stretch of the legs tomorrow will see what spring offerings we have before the next cold snap wednesday!
D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got the first caterpillar of the year .....in a jar on the kitchen windowsill with lettuce, brocolli and pak choi leaves to tempt it.
I found it in the bottom of the salad drawer in the fridge. No idea what it came in on.
It's dark green with a darker green stripe, and it seems to be munching the lettuce and pak choi.

Probably a cabbage white or somesuch, but it's interesting to watch.

As soon as it becomes a pupae thing though it's going to a friend who hatches butterflies for Amazonia, it's too cold to set it free unless I can get it to chill out until the Sun's properly back, and I'm no' fond of fluttery things.

cheers,
Toddy

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i have daffodils coming up, not seen the snowdrops yet. theres still some fungi which seem to have forgot to die...
the seagulls are cleaning up their nest site in the chimney as usual, i have seen pigeons chasing each other around.
a lot of stuff seems to have not bothered dying back through the winter, i expected the wild strawberries in the garden to but they are still there.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
yup gorse here in norfolk, buds already on my cherry and peach tree!! considering the winter we've had im amazed!! also, the dawn chorus is starting in earnest around my way first thing in the morning and the daffs are starting to push through...seems like things are starting to wake up already.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I've got the first caterpillar of the year .....in a jar on the kitchen windowsill with lettuce, brocolli and pak choi leaves to tempt it.
I found it in the bottom of the salad drawer in the fridge. No idea what it came in on.
It's dark green with a darker green stripe, and it seems to be munching the lettuce and pak choi.

Probably a cabbage white or somesuch, but it's interesting to watch.

As soon as it becomes a pupae thing though it's going to a friend who hatches butterflies for Amazonia, it's too cold to set it free unless I can get it to chill out until the Sun's properly back, and I'm no' fond of fluttery things.

cheers,
Toddy

I was listening to the radio rececntly and they said that some species of butterfly are more than happy with the cold weather, some semi-hibernate.
It was "Home Planet" on Radio4 i think, its on iplayer.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Today's contribution from me is an adult stonefly, on a fencepost. Also lots of evidence of juvenile money spiders ballooning (dispersing), although I didn't actually see any.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE