BCUK Springwatch Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've got snowdrops too! And lots of new growth of Herb Robert, and the Cuckoo Pint are unfurling. There's a definite air of 'greenness' about the place. Some buds are starting to swell on the trees now.

Shingsowa

Forager
Sep 27, 2007
Ruthin, North Wales
Snowdrops aplenty here (near Ruthin). Also interesting to note the week-long delay between 50m altitude and 310m where the farm is.
Lilac bushes are budding and nest building going on here and there. I do fear that they have been tricked into thinking Winter is over, and that a few more cold spells are due yet...

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Water lilies starting to grow, but leaves still submerged at the moment (the melting ice leaves the water very clear, so I can see them!). Masses more birdsong than there was just a week or so ago.

Oh yes, and I saw gorse flowering. Is that a sign of spring? :rolleyes:

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Beech bud a few weeks away from blossoming...

Bring on the Noyau :)

az9v1g.jpg

wolflore

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2005
Twickenham
Maybe we should have where to compare?

Twickenham: Snowdrops on show now and the showey but short-lived Magnolia just about to burst open.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Yesterday I spotted what looked like new leaves on the Buddleia (butterfly bush). Then I realised that I had no idea if these plants hold their leaves over the winter. New growth, or not? Can anyone help?

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
snow drops in full bloom, first lambs of the year, buds on all sorts of trees, it seems like everything is waking up. SWMBO says she's seen lords and ladies growing quite merrily and bluebells poking their heads out of the leaf litter in the woods at her college.

stuart

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
So far my list of flowers in flower for the years reads as follows:

Groundsel
Daisy
Snowdrop

Insects are just the bumble bee, not counting some small indeterminate flies, and a micro-moth or two.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I notice next-door's flowers (no idea what they are - I can only identify wild plants) are emerging, and the leaves are opening on the spiky bush thing at the end of my garden.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Yesterday I spotted what looked like new leaves on the Buddleia (butterfly bush). Then I realised that I had no idea if these plants hold their leaves over the winter. New growth, or not? Can anyone help?

They hold most of their leaves over winter in Brighton. I suspect they lose them all in colder climates, but this species will grow back each year to the size of a small tree even if you chop them off right down to the ground. It never ceases to amaze me where they manage to grow. I've seen a large buddleja growing out of a crack in a third-floor windowsill. Their natural home is bare rock slopes so they can survive with no reliable access to water and almost no nutrients. I think B. davidii has to be classed as an invasive species, but it is hard to dislike them too much given their ability to colonise useless space and provide resources for so many insects.

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I have to say it's the first time in a long time for me that it feels like we're having a proper, timely season.

Seeing daffodils out on Christmas day, as has happened in recent years, is a little too weird.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
All the birds are in full courtship mode now. Mallards, Collared Doves, songbirds. Saw four species of spider in about 5 minutes today, mainly juvenile wolf spiders and baby nursery-web spiders - amazing how they appear when the sun comes out. Lots of ballooning threads too but I still haven't managed to see a money spider. Greenery burgeoning everywhere - ragwort, buttercups, herb robert, vetches, wild strawberries...

Thanks for the info about Buddleia Geoff. I was suspicious when some of the allegedly new leaves I was seeing were so big, although there appears to be new growth in there too. Birch buds have that lovely purple sheen at the moment, but not open yet.

2 big moths on the windows at work today too, but as they were on the outside and I'm on the first floor I couldn't see them properly to identify them

I'm sort of expecting Butterbur and Marsh Marigold to start flowering soon. Must check out the local sites...

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Hey... You only have yourself to blame! ;)

plenty of bulbs pushing through on my wooland bimble yesterday and the ivy seems very green and vibrant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE