BCUK Meetup - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi All. I need to get a few things off my chest about the weekend and I’m afraid some of you are not going to like it… Well, those of you that didn’t come…It was FANBLOOMINTASTIC and you missed a great weekend. It was favoured by all the Gods of nature, the land was mostly dry, the trees were positioned just right, the weather was wonderful, to sum up where we were…It was just right.

I was asked many times how I felt over the weekend and in many ways I didn’t know how to answer, I was so busy thinking about things that needed to be done, talking to people, making sure this and that were going to plan that I found it hard to collect my thoughts. But, Sunday rolled around and a feeling of contentment settled upon me, I realised that the weekend was going exactly how I had envisioned it. We all paint pictures in our imaginations and we have expectations and hopes all thrown in together. I had the rare but pleasurable experience of having it all come true, a wonderful experience.

I have to say though that visions and dreams don’t make reality. It’s the guys and girls on bcuk that have done that. True, those that did not come have not fully experienced it, there is no doubt however that you should still be included in the thanks and gratitude I extend to you all for helping make bcuk a great place. The meet up was a resounding success because of you all. :notworthy Nearly everyone that frequents this site is willing to spend time and effort helping others and that’s what it’s about, that’s what the meet ups are about and that’s why it was a success.

Descriptions of what went on have already been posted, those of you that did not go have a good idea of what we got up to and what you missed. We’ll see you at the next one…and the one after that…I’ve got about 300 photos to go through and I’ll get some of them up for people to see. If there are any photo that people have I would appreciate a copy of them. John aka; e11even is writing a perspective summary of the weekend which will go up soon and then be transferred to the main site when it’s all running smoothly, it will be good reading I’m sure. Any other bloggs or general thoughts posted would be great, to have a record of it in the years to come will be a great thing to look back on.

Now…The Knife…It’s famous already and I think it should stay that way. Peter did a fantastic job on the knife and it really does represent the ethos and nature of the bcuk meet up. So, I’ve decided that it will not be raffled off, given as a prize and such things but it will be a type of bcuk Meet Up mascot and it will come to all future meet up for all to see.

I’m really happy that everyone likes the T-shirts. It was a nightmare getting them in time for the meet, but it was well worth it. It was great to see them on people and they will be great for helping identify bcuk members at the smaller regional meets that you organise for yourselves. I’ll get some pics up and get them in the shop ASAP.

It was a great weekend, spent with great people at a great location. So, to sum up my little epistle… Thanks guys and girls for helping me feel content, it was a wonderful experience.

:You_Rock_

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
:You_Rock_

i second that big time!
we had a great time, my wife has eventually prized my new BCUK t-shirt away to be washed! Norwich will continue to be advertised to!

i shall spread the word! :biggthump

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We had about 45 adults (that includes sargey and his wife visiting) and 25ish kids.

Umm, we're working on the next one and will let people know ASAP :eek:):

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Tone :You_Rock_

Thanks for bringing this community together, and all the friends we have made and experiences we have shared, and the the great things we've all learned and the advice shared.

Nice one :super:

Rich

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Will the next one be in the same place(or i it to early to start planning :lmao:) ? I will cancel anything else which clashes with the event to make it!

Cheers,

Jake

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Where to start?! It was a fantastic weekend! It flew by far too quickly and is all a bit of a blur... :wink: Went along with a long list of people to talk to and things I wanted to do and forgot all about them until it was all over! :?:

Tone & Shell - thanks for all your hard work and dedication to make it happen. They are a great couple and their kids are a credit to them! :-D

Jack - you are a wizard with a billhook and I could watch you using it all day. Truly an artist at work!! I'm totally converted and can't wait for Adi to buy me one - (gonna melt the GrannyB down now and use it as a paperweight!! :eek:):)

Jamie - thanks for all your help mate and the jokes were pretty funny too! Remind me not to camp near to you guys next time - I laughed too much the whole time! :wink:

Stuart & Cindy - you are both incredible people and I love you to bits. Thanks for looking after my kids, Cindy, which gave me a nice break. :rose: And Stuart thanks for taking out the little one's wobbly tooth (for the week before we went she wouldn't let anyone else take it out because she wanted Stuart to do it and she'd only ever met him twice before! :lol:) Excellent trapping demo Stu - learned loads!

Rhoda and Kurt - fantastic tracking training, as usual. Thoroughly enjoyed both sessions and cannot wait to attend the ShadowHawk tracking course next month!!! :biggthump

Bowdrill Dave (DG) - Thanks for the help with the bowdrill - and for your patience too! Excellent demo! (Am hoping to come along on one of your courses soon too.)

Roving Rich & Fiona - You are a lovely couple. It was a pleasure to spend time with you! Even if you did laugh at my foxwalking! :wink:

Lovely to see everyone again especially Lithril & Sam, Ed & Karen, Mark (Buckshot) & Lorraine (thanks for the bowdrill help!!), Gilli :star:, Chris, Martin (Jakunen) - thanks for showing me the clematis!!, Peter (Espy) for a great squirrel and a grand forging demo. Paul for the beers!! :wink: and to all the other lovely people that made it a truly unforgetable weekend. I'm sorry it flew by so fast I didn't get more time to talk to you all.

BCUK: :You_Rock_ :super: :You_Rock_

D'oh! Still need to go unpack now ... :roll:

Kath (Stalking Fish)

PS. Oh and last but not least a very big thank you to Adi007 for coming along after all (and for taking such excellent care of me when I was all tired and grumpy!) :love:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
C_Claycomb said:
And a big THANK YOU to Adi and Kath for volunteering their Landrover to be the focal point for so many activities!!! :rolmao:
Yeah when exactly did I do that??? :eek:): Must have been the beer ... :eek:):

(Coming in a mini-metro next time - less of a land mark!! :wink:)

The Landy, as well as being a bit of a leaning post for a lot of the time, ended up covered with people's kit, squirrels, books, billhooks, mugs, food, handbags! Had to make sure it all got back to its rightful owners at the end ... and I still have to post some bits back! :lol:

And when Jack dragged a great big log off the bonnet with one hand :yikes: it made me realize just why I :love: my Landy so much - coz with the self-healing paint it didn't leave a mark! :nana:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I think everythings already been said about the people who were there and the quality of the lectures etc

the amazing thing was having so many people in the woods without leaving a trace, if you were standing on the edge of the woods you would never know anyone was in there except for the sqeaking of bowdrills

many thanks to everyone who came i dont think any one left at the end of the weekend without some knowleadge that they did not posses when they arrived

Oh one more thing..... why do i look like an escaped mental patient in all the pictures of me???? do i look like that in real life?? :yikes:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Um :roll: Stuart's cover has just been blown! :rolmao:

Hey, just think what kind of newspaper story could have been writen if a reporter had stumbled across us all... :yikes:

"Concealled deep in the Welsh country side a 2 day training camp was run for people disaffected with the course of modern society. Outfitted in a motly collection of camouflage and army surplus these individuals were taught poaching, stalking, camouflage and concealment, and how to produce weapons from readily at hand materials such as car springs and bamboo canes........." :rolmao:

How's it feel to be part of a neo-tribal-subversive group? :eek:): :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE