Bcnl ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
add one more dutchy to the interested people list ;)

ive been dabbling a bit for years but finaly went on a starter course a few months ago. (extra-survival the owner is rene nauta) we went to a nice piece of private owned woodland he could use for the first time,great fun all in all and if my work hadnt sent me to mexico on short notice id have gone on some more of his courses.

one of the nicer things he also plans in some weekends where you dont have to learn or do anything but can use the woodland (there will be as always the zero trace rules)

also having a "vuurkorf" in your garden helps a lot with firemaking skills,my 3 year old daughter refuses to go to bed now if she thinks ill be out there at an evening :)

basicly look at bushcraft and slice the things youd do outside up in small parts,you can do lots around your own house.

Porc

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Sounds like a case of how to survive using bushcraft without breaking the law over there. we should get Ray Mere to do a programme from NL see if he can live off the land for a week without getting busted by the law lol

Eelco

Nov 7, 2005
The Netherlands
Hi Chris,

My name is Eelco and I'm also doing some bushcraft/hiking/camping. It's indeed very difficult to do some real bushcraft in the netherlands, so I generally go to the Ardennes or even further towards germany or france. A dutch bushcraft site is indeed a good idea!

with kind regards,

Eelco Koppert

Eelco

Nov 7, 2005
The Netherlands
Correct, it's illegal to camp in the wild there and it's certainly illegal to make a fire. But I usually go on my own, in which case I can keep out of sight of any rangers.
It's a matter of ethics. I've never left anything behind, no trace whatsoever. In this particular case I have no problem breaking the law. I'm gonna try making a small smokeless cooking fire, which I'll bury afterwards.
The next closest thing for bushcrafting for us dutchies is France. Where it's sort of permitted to do wildcamping, but as a poor student it's hard for me to get there.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
In northern Scotland you see lots of cars with Netherlands licence plates, and I have also met quite a lot of Dutch folk who have settled in Scotland. Here in Scotland the right to wild camp is now enshrined in law.

Perhaps in the summer we could have some Dutch participation in one of the Scottish meets? I would be happy to pick up people from Edinburgh or Glasgow airports.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Doc said:
In northern Scotland you see lots of cars with Netherlands licence plates, and I have also met quite a lot of Dutch folk who have settled in Scotland. Here in Scotland the right to wild camp is now enshrined in law.

Perhaps in the summer we could have some Dutch participation in one of the Scottish meets? I would be happy to pick up people from Edinburgh or Glasgow airports.

I would be in for that!!
Only depending on the exact date (uni exams in August, second chance ... so it really depends on my performances this January ... ).
Maybe in combination with a (small) hike true the Highlands :D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Apart from money and time there's no reason for you not to come over to one of the area meet ups or to the Bushcraft UK Moots.

Also it might be an idea for you to see if you can source some land, even if it's a field and get a meet organised. Feel free to start a thread in The meet ups forum on a meet in NL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE