BCB ''Ultimate'' Survival Kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Thats an interesting point actually, maybe something to attract attention to yourself that doesn't rely on networks. Perhaps a GPS beacon? The use a totally different system I understand.

One of the Breitling Watches has an Epirb built in. Broadcasts a distress and location signal for 24 hours. An Epirb as a stand alone item is maybe £300.

A Sat phone is about £50 a week to rent for a trip. Should get around lack of coverage.

Again it's about proportionate response to risk.

@21stCentuaryPict. In terms of the bowstring I wasn't questioning how long the string was I was trying to envisage where you were going and what kind of duration you imagined a bowstring being a desirable item?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
@21stCentuaryPict. In terms of the bowstring I wasn't questioning how long the string was I was trying to envisage where you were going and what kind of duration you imagined a bowstring being a desirable item?
With a bit of string and half an hour I could have a reliable hunting weapon, getting hold of a good thin string with about a 200 - 400lb breaking strain not easy.

So then we get into the purpose of a survival kit.

Exactly, you never know what you need and for how long. That's why I would choose a good cordage for my Kit. If I was to try and make a fire bow string with natural cordage I think I would try a different fire lighting technique.

The dude in Canada did well to survive for five months. Coincidently I mentioned this to someone the other day, when Alexander Selkirk stepped on to that beach, you can bet he never imagined he was going to end up being marooned there for four and a half years.

PS I know what you mean about 11 miles ,may as well be a 100 some times , My sister lived on the west coast, If I was to walk out her back door for 500 yards , Id be about 1000ft above her house. As the crow flies her nearest shop was about 2k across a loch, that was about an hour's drive there and back by car.

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Yes I understand but other than as an intellectual exercise where would you be going that you would need to fall back on making a bow and hunting with it?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
But what would you include? THAT is the question! Seriously , I've been thinking about revisiting the 'survival kit' concept ( just for the theoretical side ) into something more realistic and pragmatic than a Survival tin , I'm starting to think that the near perfect container is a Steel Guyot Bottle , which I admit is substantially larger than a Tin but offers a host of benefits.

Maybe the start of a thread in its own right.

Keep thinking that a stainless vargo bot, with some butterfly handles, and a drinking spout of some sort in the lid would be good.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Hell no! .300 Win Mag.

Buddies Son was bow hunting when charged by a Black Bear. He only had one shaft left when he loosed at 30 yards watched it disappear into its chest and started making a strategic withdrawal. Lucky for him it dropped before it caught him up.

I doubt a bow would do more than annoy a Grizz.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Keep thinking that a stainless vargo bot, with some butterfly handles, and a drinking spout of some sort in the lid would be good.

Yep , Haven't seen those before. Anything paint tin shaped would be good - wide mouth , capable of being sealed and boiling water.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Check out the North American Super Slam,Brown Black Grizz and Polar, the African Big Five has been done with a bow to.

Sure you can be set up to hunt these. It's not quite the same when they are hunting you.

Even with a rifle things go wrong.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-28198203

I promise you based on years of experience that when the blood is up and facing a predator as large as a bear it will be, with a technically complex item like a gun or a bow that you only hope that you will behave as you think you can now.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Check out the North American Super Slam, Brown, Black, Grizz, and Polar all on the list, the African Big Five has been done with a bow to.

Like the idiot American vet who recently shot a Lion with a bow or crossbow in Zimbabwe, wounded the creature and it took him and his 'experts' 40 hours to find it and shoot it to death. :mad:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Idiot Dentist hunted the lion illegally and should be dealt with as any poacher.

Population control is a necessary evil Rik. (No avoiding that in a world of 7 billion folk) If the money from controlled shooting flows into conservation then hunting is a good thing in its own right as it means somebody values the wildlife and will protect it.

Not keen on bow hunting personally as there is significantly less margin for error but I wouldn't impose that value on those with the skill and the freedom to hunt that way.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Population control is a necessary evil Rik. (No avoiding that in a world of 7 billion folk) If the money from controlled shooting flows into conservation then hunting is a good thing in its own right as it means somebody values the wildlife and will protect it.

Whilst I agree with that sentiment and a few of the Eco-Safari tour operators also did around a Camp fire we had in the South African Bush , it still requires one government to stand up and take control of its animal resources from a welfare and stewardship standpoint.

And that is yet to happen.

Its such a massive subject in terms of ethics and applied realistic practicalities.

WHO controls the money? WHO appoints where it goes? WHO decide which animals are to be culled and priced accordingly?

I agree sensible animal stewardship is required but can't see a realistic method to enforce it across what is a massively impoverished continent.

( Sorry to OP - Massive thread hijack and divergence!! )

Last edited:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Like the idiot American vet who recently shot a Lion with a bow or crossbow in Zimbabwe, wounded the creature and it took him and his 'experts' 40 hours to find it and shoot it to death. :mad:

He's no hunter he's a poacher. A skilled archer with the right equipment can make a clean kill. But shooting animals like that has no place these days. Never take alphas and don't even consider luring one off a reserve! Culling is all well and good, but trophy hunting isn't for me. Ivory looks better in the elephant and you can't eat lion meat, so what's the point of safari hunting?

Sorry for the hijack

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Idiot Dentist hunted the lion illegally and should be dealt with as any poacher.

Protect and value it? for who? so some rich Dentist/Vet trophy tourist with the cash can come along to a game farm, probably gut shoot the beast, then stick its head on a wall just to impress other idiots. Louis Liebenberg said, The only thing worse than a trophy hunter is a lame bottom armchair conservationist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE