BCB ''Ultimate'' Survival Kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Hi, A friend has asked me to find and buy him the BCB Ultimate survival tin kit,But I'm having trouble finding out if this kit still comes with the Water Purification straw.
Any help welcomed.
cheers

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Yeah I've searched online at loads of shops,And it looks like they contain the straw in the picture's,But as you say it doesn't say in the contents list.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Been there, done that.
Waste of your time, his money, and then space in that drawer full of string and screws. And no, the tin is crap to so "I will slowly replace the items with better ones" excuse won't work either.

Buy your friend a maxpedition pouch, drop a sol bag in it and a fire steel to start, and point him to this forum.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Been there, done that.
Waste of your time, his money, and then space in that drawer full of string and screws. And no, the tin is crap to so "I will slowly replace the items with better ones" excuse won't work either.

Buy your friend a maxpedition pouch, drop a sol bag in it and a fire steel to start, and point him to this forum.

Good call.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
There's a few school of thoughts; consider what you do/where you go and make a kit to provide you with fire, water signalling and food with some kit to fix and repair or look at kits out there and make your own with quality items you can be assured of. I made my own AMK/Ritter Pocket Survival kit here;

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134357

Its not that there's anything wrong with the original kit but I had a lot of stuff lying around. I agree with all the above, add money, coins and notes.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Been there, done that.

Agreed, I've had one of them bought as a half joke gift. They really are fairly shoddy. You can put a decent kit together for less to be honest. If the tin instead of the max pouch is important a tobacco tin will do the job.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Agreed, I've had one of them bought as a half joke gift. They really are fairly shoddy. You can put a decent kit together for less to be honest. If the tin instead of the max pouch is important a tobacco tin will do the job.

But what would you include? THAT is the question! Seriously , I've been thinking about revisiting the 'survival kit' concept ( just for the theoretical side ) into something more realistic and pragmatic than a Survival tin , I'm starting to think that the near perfect container is a Steel Guyot Bottle , which I admit is substantially larger than a Tin but offers a host of benefits.

Maybe the start of a thread in its own right.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
One of the most difficult things to make is undoubtedly a vessel to boil water in the sort of quantity needed to support human needs. I think it makes sense to build a kit in or around this.

In terms of a survival kit, I would build this around the priorities of survival.

Shelter (and warmth)
Water
Food

I would then consider
First Aid
Rescue
Navigation

A few suggestions:
Orange Survival Bag
Mylar Blanket
Fire Steel
Lifeboat Matches
Puritabs
Kendal Mint Cake
Small fish hooks and line.
Emergency Whistle
Compass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
One of the most difficult things to make is undoubtedly a vessel to boil water in the sort of quantity needed to support human needs. I think it makes sense to build a kit in or around this.

In terms of a survival kit, I would build this around the priorities of survival.

Shelter (and warmth)
Water
Food

I would then consider
First Aid
Rescue
Navigation

A few suggestions:
Orange Survival Bag
Mylar Blanket
Fire Steel
Lifeboat Matches
Puritabs
Kendal Mint Cake
Small fish hooks and line.
Emergency Whistle
Compass

Hi Countryman
I have often thought about this, one very old school method of cooking/ boiling water was to use a leather bag full of water and adding hot rocks to the bag. one of my PSK's is in a good quality clear zip lock poly bag, No boil, just fill the bag with water, filter if necessary with a T shirt or grass, add puritabs, use a straw to drink. It's a very personal choice I know but I prefer the poly bag kit for different reason, in my kit there is a Tritium vile, so even in the dark with no torch I can still find the kit.

A couple of items I would add to the list would be.
Small torch, a very small torch single AAA battery torch or a thumb light.
Straw.
Fresnel lens.
Cutting tool, small knife or razor.
Some very good cordage, Kevlar or Technora and a string for a longbow.
Chemlight.

Personal again, but I wouldn't bother with the mint cake.

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
So then we get into the purpose of a survival kit.

Parts for a longbow? Where and how long are we talking about here?

Don't get me wrong, my bootlaces are para cord and into the end I have inserted a ferro rod. The toggles on my coat are ferro too but in most UK situations you are talking about waiting it out until rescue.

Having read about a guy lost 5 months in Northern Canada this coloured my preparation for my recent trip to Ontario but I'm a firm believer in building a kit proportionate to risk and purpose.

Yes you could also hollow a log and drop hot rocks into it too but think about the conditions that lead you to be in an emergency situation. Is a metallic water bottle or mess tin too much to carry? A hot drink will fight off Hypothermia and frankly in this country that will kill you before dehydration or hunger.

Night is a lengthy period for sure and a torch is useful. I love my Tritium Markers and my critical bags have them attached also two on my car keys!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442221582.147155.jpg

I wouldn't leave home without a blade, at least a penknife.

You think differently when you are starved and a bar of Kendal can help to keep you on an even keel. I brought someone semi-conscious round with a bar once so I'm a believer.

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
But what would you include? THAT is the question! Seriously , I've been thinking about revisiting the 'survival kit' concept ( just for the theoretical side ) into something more realistic and pragmatic than a Survival tin , I'm starting to think that the near perfect container is a Steel Guyot Bottle , which I admit is substantially larger than a Tin but offers a host of benefits.

Maybe the start of a thread in its own right.

Well as I basically get paid to stitch the factory lads up and call them stupid I think I can use my time productively and start a thread :lmao:

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Just make a sat phone number one your PSK list for the UK or Canada.

So then we get into the purpose of a survival kit.
The OP wanted a BCB Ultimate Survival Kit.

Parts for a longbow? Where and how long are we talking about here?
8ft bit of string.

Yes you could also hollow a log and drop hot rocks into it

I wouldn't bother hollowing out a log , Id just light a fire right next to a puddle or dig a hole right by a river and let it well up.

Is a metallic water bottle or mess tin too much to carry? .

Not really, if you want one take one, I have 2 survival kits, its the one in the tin I don't carry because I think the tin is unnecessary, it's a BSB role top tin, the tin is actually ok, as a cooking pot its tiny, frying pan maybe but I don't think it's worth carrying for that one purpose.

Even in the remotest part of mainland UK your only about 11 miles to the nearest house, " having said that a plane crashed up here a couple of years ago, it still took about two months to find it ,so still remote" If you have a map and compass just pick up your stuff and go.
You never know how long contents of a Survival kit will have to last you, that's why I don't have any snacks in the kit.

Tritium lights are ace, I have one attached to my Gegber Recon torch that way if I drop it at night, not a problem, they are also handy if you want to drop off your pack or mark your camp and go off on a reccy.

My revised PSK list;)
Sat Phone.
GPS.
Rain coat.
Self heating meal.
Taxi/Bus fare home .

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Well as I basically get paid to stitch the factory lads up and call them stupid I think I can use my time productively and start a thread :lmao:

Feel free.
I wonder if since the time that Lofty ( maybe someone before him as well ) talked about if there have been any major changes in kit , I remember seeing his original suggested list and thinking Beta lights were SO space age and cutting edge - lol!!

Go for it.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Even in the remotest part of mainland UK your only about 11 miles to the nearest house, If you have a map and compass just pick up your stuff and go and make a mobile or sat phone number one your PSK list.

Bow string 8ft
I wouldn't bother hollowing out a log , Id just light a fire right next to a puddle or dig a hole right by a river and let it well up.
I have 2 survival kits, its the one in the tin I don't carry because I think the tin is unnecessary, it's a BSB role top tin, the tin is actuality ok, as a cooking pot, I don't think it's worth carrying for that one purpose.

Assumes of course you can walk and that there is mobile coverage!

In August 1985 I and a bunch of mates got caught up on Helvelyn in the Lake District. Being inadequately dressed for anything more than British summer when bad weather blew in and we tried to take shelter and hope it would blow through but it set in and when the shivering stopped in some of the guys I recognised we were in deep trouble.

Well I and my best mate, cajoled, kicked and beasted the others into getting up and getting off that hill. We collected a French Hiker along the way. It was Herculean effort in the weather and nothing like 11 miles.

This experience taught me that you cannot count on mobility to get out of trouble. Plenty of water!

I have a lense in my kit but not sure how useful it is.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Assumes of course you can walk and that there is mobile coverage!
Thats an interesting point actually, maybe something to attract attention to yourself that doesn't rely on networks. Perhaps a GPS beacon? The use a totally different system I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE