Battle of the invasive species!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've got a sneaking respect for invasive species - makes me feel comforted that whatever we do to the planet, the plants will always take over again.

There is a corner of my garden that is fenced off so the dogs can't wreck it or go in the pond but as a result, it's been neglected. I call it "the jungle" :)

Was doing a little bit of maintenance in there today and noted that there are several invasive plant species that are all competing for space:

• bamboo
  • willow (both grey and goat)
  • sycamore
  • bramble
  • bindweed
  • mint

Apart from the mint, none of these were deliberately planted and I'm sure in a few years I'll have thick enough trees to hang a hammock from! Pity we're moving really :)

franglais

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2013
France
I would get rid of the bamboo, as it may put some people off, you usually have to burn the roots to get rid of it, it's quite a problem in Parts of France and Spain.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
We hv bamboo in the garden but thank goodness it gets severely cut back by the cold every winter and has to start from scratch again, so it is actually not a problem, but in MILs garden it has taken over. Not good.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Where I work the bamboo has taken over - it has lifted paving slabs, appears INSIDE the garden shed and has pretty much ousted all other life!
Horrible stuff - and too thin for making much out of!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The empty house next door has knotweed. We cut it back and lob our most competative weeds over where we have cleared. It is making that patch a lot more diverse. We also have ground elder, himalyan balsam, horse tail and bindweed. It is like a game of top trumps.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Should I then feel bad that I have planted buddlieia in our garden? I wanted to attract the butterflies, but I don't want it to invade the river banks around here. Japanese knot weed is not up to our section of the river yet from the town, but I don't want to be responsible for letting buddlieia loose. It would be easy to uproot the bushes, I only planted them three months ago.

When the knotweed gets up to our part of the woods, I am going to eat it.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
*chuckle* miles irving says the shoots are nicer than asparagus apparently in his Forager book. But I would be paranoid about going anywhere near it just in case I spread it around, I don't let my children touch it.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You can also eat bindweed and bamboo (it's river cane as far as I can tell - a North American species). The brambles, if they grow back, will produce blackberries and the mint will make tea. The willow and sycamore will produce fuel eventually.

Not planning on removing most of it, just interested in seeing what triumphs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE