Power of nature

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am not quite sure where to put this - flora and fauna or DIY!
In my little patch of woods that I have perm to play in I built a semi permanent table and seat. I used green, fresh cut Rowan for the seat legs and one of the table legs, as there is masses of Rowan growing there and no hazel. I used only one straight branch.

Today I noticed that not only the table leg but all 4 seat legs are sprouting new growth - including one seat leg that was pushed into the soil upside down!

I have seen this with Hawthorn and willow before (andhave deliberately planted some cut willow in my wood to build a better windbreak on the more open side of the main clearing) but never before with Rowan.
Some sycamore I rammed into the ground as another table leg had sprouted but has died back again.
How common is it for trees to take like this?
I will try and get some photos next time I am up in the woods.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Cheers - but I have loads - the next doors keep on at me to trim one of my trees as it shades their garden...
Lots of nice straight wands grow every year!

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Trees are great :D

never a truer word spoke. :approve:

I've just spent the weekend at treefest in Edinburgh.

It was ace: green woodworking, stewardship, horse forestry demos lots of Eco stuff, good beer and good vibes. :)

My support for my runner beans this year consists of hazel poles which are all sprouting and a ridge pole of willow which is a year old and even it is sprouting!

troy ap De skog

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
In a Shack
almost all member of the rose family, will grow from a "cutting" alsolng at ther is living materal, mosture and nitrates and phosphates in the soil...

if managed it with hawthorn, dog rose, sweedish whitebeam as well as;
willow, rowen, elm, poplar, hazle and birch..

planning to try, oak, ash and lime next march..

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
photos of my table and chair legs.
DSCF1740.jpg

DSCF1741.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE