Battery powered lantern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trail Snail

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2009
Wales
I live in a semi rural hamlet which usually experiences at least 1 power cut a year. Due to the recent spell of inclement weather, these have been happening more frequently.

I have a wind up LED lantern, but frankly, it needs almost constant winding to emit any real light. I'm looking to get a couple of battery powered ones, the only real requirements being a reasonable price and that they are use either AA or AAA batteries - I don't believe in using obscure batteries in anything I own as I want the type of batteries that will be available in the local shop.

Any recommendations?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Get a hurricane lantern (or two or three) and a few litres of paraffin, will last you ages. Back up with a couple of LED head torches and your good to go.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I seem to keep suggesting the poundstores this week :)

However, I bought the rings of led lights meant for under garden parasols in Summer evenings to use in my tepee, and they are absolutely excellent in a power cut too :)
One ring of 20 lights, powered by 4AA batteries lasted six hours, and literally lit up a room. I put one on top of a candle stick on the kitchen table and we could see clearly enough to read by.
Cheap enough to keep one in the cupboard for every room in the house, just in case. Safe to use in the bathroom and loo as well.

Not as bright or as warm as a hurrican lantern, but instant, right there when needed, and surprisingly effective.
I stuck one onto the wall of the pantry and just press the button when I go in and it's been in use for the past year without needing the batteries changed.
Very pleased with my £1's worth :D

Like a very much cheaper version of this,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Umbrella-Circular-Rechargeable-batteries-included/dp/B00E0HVWPG

cheers,
Toddy

Mr Adoby

Forager
Sep 6, 2008
The woods, Småland, Sweden
Get a good flashlight that can tailstand and add a diffuser. You can make a diffuser from a small plastic bottle or buy one for the flashlight. This way you both get a good flashlight and a good lantern.

Most LED lanterns use inferior LEDs compared to good flashlights, so you get less light per battery with a lantern. The only benefits with LED lanterns are that they may use bigger and better batteries than flashlights (R20/D) and that they stand and hang better.

My best lantern is a Fenix TK12 with a diffuser. But most good AA flashlight would also work fine.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE