Battery bank

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi alan have you the link for what you bought please and let me know if it works regards dave

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Bit late but i bought the cheaper (direct from whereever) and it works well. Very glad i bought it. Charges tablet,iphone and android phone no problem.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Very doable with flat cells Alan, Ive got 10ah hour cells 3 of which would easily fit that case

But I'd put money on them being a set of 18650s in there.

Only video I can find for a disassembly is a 20000mAh unit which has 6 x 2200mAh 18650.. so only 13200mAh

[video=youtube;8iR8wxc0lDE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iR8wxc0lDE[/video]

And if your unlucky might get a single 18650... and a couple of bags of sand.

Dishonest+power+bank+3.jpg

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I believe the 30k is actually nearer 20K, but thats fine, the 50k is over 30k, thats fine. You obviously have a problem with these, I and others don't as they do the job just fine; in fact I have two of the 50k coming for a ham radio project. Certainly better than paying three or four times more for a product that only gives out 20% of these banks.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I have a 20k mah version of these, paid £20 for it. Very pleased with it after 4 months occasional use, seems to keep its charge just as well as when I bought it.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I believe the 30k is actually nearer 20K, but thats fine, the 50k is over 30k, thats fine. You obviously have a problem with these, I and others don't as they do the job just fine; in fact I have two of the 50k coming for a ham radio project. Certainly better than paying three or four times more for a product that only gives out 20% of these banks.

I don't have a problem apart from the exaggeration of the rating.

As long people realise they maybe over rated, but if they perform well enough to meet their needs then there isn't a real problem.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I don't have a problem apart from the exaggeration of the rating.

As long people realise they maybe over rated, but if they perform well enough to meet their needs then there isn't a real problem.

Glad to see common sense has kicked in with you. I like the term 'Fit for purpose' with regard any bits and bobs I use. These are fit for purpose my (and others) needs. Why not spend a tenner or three jacks alive or so and try one? I for one would look forward to any impartial review you submitted here :)

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Common sense has always been present ;)

That's why I have a slight issue with these packs, the physical dimensions of the pack, and the fact they use 18650s give a far better approximation of their mAh than whatever is stated.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
But I'd put money on them being a set of 18650s in there.

Only video I can find for a disassembly is a 20000mAh unit which has 6 x 2200mAh 18650.. so only 13200mAh

[video=youtube;8iR8wxc0lDE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iR8wxc0lDE[/video]

And if your unlucky might get a single 18650... and a couple of bags of sand.

Dishonest+power+bank+3.jpg

Those above are the cheap Chinese clones of the PowerSeed bank so its not surprising that they are not accurate.

I have the 15000mah PowerSeed and I can tell you that the rating is accurate because I can charge my 3100mah battery in my Note II 4 and a bit times while its also still in use. I also have a NewTrent which is a 5000mah as far as I remember and that charges a 1600mah battery 3 times. If you want accurate ratings its best to stick with brand names for battery's.

However as stated as long as it fits your purpose it makes no difference what the actual rating is.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Common sense has always been present ;)

That's why I have a slight issue with these packs, the physical dimensions of the pack, and the fact they use 18650s give a far better approximation of their mAh than whatever is stated.

No, its not... I'd really like to reply in depth...I really can't be bothered chum...the banks work, you don't like them then fine...go suck a Zube but really...just shut up for a bit; your now tiresome.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
No, its not... I'd really like to reply in depth...I really can't be bothered chum...the banks work, you don't like them then fine...go suck a Zube but really...just shut up for a bit; your now tiresome.

Your getting terribly personal just because I pointed out that the ratings are over exaggerated. I never said I didn't like them, just to be wary of their stated mAh.

And if you look to my first post on this thread, it was a reply to someone suggesting they could be using flat cells in the boxes to achieve the stated mAh. It is possible, and no doubt there could be expensive high end brand battery packs that are made this way, but these cheap ones aren't.

So I would suggest it's not me with the problem. And telling people to shut up on the internet isn't going to work.

Last edited:

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0063AAIRG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought one of these specifically to keep in my bag when travelling and it's charged all my gadgets with plenty left too - I have no qualms recommending it. No idea what's inside it but if I can travel and stay connected (East Cost train to London plug socket full of chewing gum for one example, spending too long on a corporate booze up and missing the 'one every hour' train - until 7pm after which the next one is at midnight and takes 3 hours to reach home the other, so far) then so far so good

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Dying for a smack this thread.

mah are voltage dependant, how many hours it will last when drawing 1 milliamp at a set voltage. Just like amp hours (Ah).

Watt hours is the measure of stored power. To get wattage, you multiply the nominal voltage by the amp hours (so divide mah by 1000). A 1000mah battery at 5v is 5 watts, if your 5 watt battery is drawing 10v it reduces to 500 mah, even though its the same capacity. As a selling point alot of manufacturers rate their batterys as the nominal voltage of their standard flat li-poly cells, which is 3.7v, which gives the illusion of higher capacitance. I don't know about the specifics of said battery.

About 5.5g per watt hour for lithiumpoly and 4g per watt for lithium ion is about the limit, plus all your circutry and casing on top.

Last edited:

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Dying for a smack this thread.

mah are voltage dependant, how many hours it will last when drawing 1 milliamp at a set voltage. Just like amp hours (Ah).

Watt hours is the measure of stored power. To get wattage, you multiply the nominal voltage by the amp hours (so divide mah by 1000). A 1000mah battery at 5v is 5 watts, if your 5 watt battery is drawing 10v it reduces to 500 mah, even though its the same capacity. As a selling point alot of manufacturers rate their batterys as the nominal voltage of their standard flat li-poly cells, which is 3.7v, which gives the illusion of higher capacitance. I don't know about the specifics of said battery.

However if using Android devices you can underclock and undervolt your device ;)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
However if using Android devices you can underclock and undervolt your device ;)

you may sir, but I fail hitherto see the benefit as such, as ones capability shall be compromised to a factor in line with the said reduction of power, thus leading to reduced performance of ones telecombobnick. so there

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Well this is all getting very arsey.

For the record, I have the 20,000 mah pack. I discharge tested it through my multi charger at 500 mah and 1 amp. It managed 12380 mah at 500 and 11200 at 1amp. A perfectly useable amount of power but clearly not as per the rating. I have no issue with this as 12amps is plenty for what i need. The only time i would carry a branded setup is backpacking when i want the weight to power ratio to be the best it can be.

Jared i thought your points were raised politely and you didnt deserve a personal attack.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Having seen this topic again and having had hassle over the summer with the iphone running low when away camping, just ordered the 20k version, thanks very much :)

Cheers, Paul

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Well this is all getting very arsey.

For the record, I have the 20,000 mah pack. I discharge tested it through my multi charger at 500 mah and 1 amp. It managed 12380 mah at 500 and 11200 at 1amp. A perfectly useable amount of power but clearly not as per the rating. I have no issue with this as 12amps is plenty for what i need. The only time i would carry a branded setup is backpacking when i want the weight to power ratio to be the best it can be.

Jared i thought your points were raised politely and you didnt deserve a personal attack.

Thank you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE