Battered or new - whats your preference?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have just had a very exhausting week away with a group of our disaffected pupils as guests of the Army. One of the guys commented on my mug and how it had seen better days...
SDC13553.jpg

Now I like shiney gear as much as the next person:rolleyes: , but I do like my gear to be used, not kept looking showroom clean.

So how do you prefer you kit - pristine or used looking?

If you have a battered, but loved, piece of kit post a pic then we can see it too.

Simon

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Well, if it's new and shiny I try to keep it like that as long as possible, after all it will last longer that way. However if I have older kit, then I don't care if it's shiny or not, but it still gets looked after the same. I think I don't have a preference to how something looks.

Improviser

Tenderfoot
Battered - as long as the item is still functional & fit for purpose.

A bit sad but i've actually roughed some of my new stuff up a bit before now to avoid the 'o look here comes another cybercrafter' looks :eek:

At least you are using the gear for what it was designed for and not stroking/admiring like a kit bitch!! :rolleyes:

If I have my stuff out it's generally used but looked after but still blackened and bumped and dented and working! You should see the state of my kelly kettles!

I'm not into this "prissy" attitude with gear, like the person who spends £300 on a knife but doesn't use it yet wears it??? Seems a bit pointless and shallow to me and I wouldn't want to hang around with someone like that either.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Theres something quite comforting about something thats seen good service and keeps coming back for more, like an old friend.

Suppose that makes me one who likes used but perfectly servicable things.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I like shiny and new toys :)
But after having used them over a longer period it gets more and more personal and you know their strengths and weaknesses.
The shiny and new is easily replaced while a loyal companion for many years is not something I'd like to miss... (Almost sounds like I'm talking about girlfriends now :p)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I tend to think of my gear as "burnished", think of the pattena that old leather has, like an old pair of shoes or WWII engineers waistcoat! That's how I like my gear. I remember meeting an old poacher who was of renown where I lived, he had this canvas slip. all battered and worn on his shoulder, I knew he was a wonderfull shot from the tales I'd heard though he was shy as I was the new forester in the district. After much coaxing and rollups he let me see what lay beneath that slip...( I was an affectionado of shiny things back then), and it was an old battered springer rifle with iron sights. I was slightly non-plused, but he explained that this was his tool and that was all you needed. It taught me a lesson and to this day though I have some pretty space age gear I still love the depth of colour on my dutch oven and the fact that carbon steel shows in its depth the love and care that a cherished tool can take on. Remember that a blackened pot is more fuel efficient, a well pollished boot is more waterproof, that Simo Häyhä is the worlds greatest ever defender of his country and the best sniper ever with his iron sighted rifle.
Just because its plain and simple doesn't mean its not good, what did they build scara brae or the pyramids with? what tools did my forebears use in their forge, what ancient tools and processes to some of the craftsmen and women on this site use to create things of beauty and wonder that we all lust after.
Age can bring beauty to people and things. It's how we percieve and use those things that make us what we are
Goatboy.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I have just had a very exhausting week away with a group of our disaffected pupils as guests of the Army. One of the guys commented on my mug and how it had seen better days...
SDC13553.jpg

I have exactly the same mug/flask and it looks identicaly bashed, i use it most days.
I think if you keep stuff shiny you get paranoid about mucking them up, i reckon a few scratches and dents are worth the risk of a fun day!

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Well I guess I like the look of new stuff, like a shiny new knife but I think I like it more when it's battered a bit. Like when it's new, I take it out and look at it and just think "wow this looks cool..." but then once it's been used, I take it out and just think "this is my knife" (or whatever) because it's become a part of me and so all the little scratches on it or the colour that's wearing off just give it more character and make me like it even more.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
kit has to have charactor, it can hold alot of memories:) also with alot of kit it makes you trust it, if it were to go wrong it would have done so by now.

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE