Basic wash kit contents?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No really set "kit" here. Mine varies with the duration of the trip and distance from settled areas.

At the most basic I always have:
- a bandana in my hip pocket and possibly another around my neck (or a GI scarf)
-some type of wet wipes

I add more if it's an overnighter or longer or if I'll be doing something messy:
-toobrush/tootpaste
-soap (on short trips it'll be a small bottle of liquid camp soap, on longer trips it'll be a regular bar)
-deoderant? (depends on where and with whom)
-skin lotion
-small towel or camp towel

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
It depends. On a long camp away from "real women" I agree :) On the otherhand if you want to get near said real women...........

just find deodorant masks sweat or worse clogs the pores more severe than talc. So would rather use soap and water and talc powder a little bit more often for your latter reason.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
Toothbrush, toothpaste, disposable razor, travel shaving soap and brush (in a tube), Half a microfibre towel, a couple of soap shards in a ziplok, gel hand cleaner, baby wipes, steel mirror (small) and some talc. All in one of the little drawstring bags.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
just find deodorant masks sweat or worse clogs the pores more severe than talc. So would rather use soap and water and talc powder a little bit more often for your latter reason.

No worries. My comment was half in jest anyway. TBH when out for an extended period the smell of smoke, ashes and assorted outdoorsy odors are more prevelent than body odor anyway.

Johno76

Jan 4, 2014
United Kingdom
100ml bottle of multi use liquid soap
folding toothbrush
small tube toothpaste
dry wipes
small Snugpak Microfibre Antibacterial Travel Towel
I only take shaving kit if i'm on operations or mil exercise.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I've got to ask, but the solar showers, do you find the work, or do you fill them from the kettle ? That's what I always found, and your never without hot water anyway.

Alcohol dry wash if without meths.
Nail clippers
towell, microfibre
tooth brush and paste
soap in a plastic sleeve
razor

other hygene things

washing up liquid
scourer
tissues
washing up liquid
clothes washing soap
mozzie rep

MarvTommo

Forager
Feb 2, 2014
Sittingbourne
Havn't tried them yet but those new(ish) pits n bits dry shampoo and shower gel might be worth a look? Not sure how they review.

All about baby wipes otherwise. Never tried rehydrate with warm water but sounds good. Used to use them cold and get a right shock wake up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Hands,water, towel, and for my teeth a muswuk stick as for solar showers bloody waste of money if you fill the bag with water and either sit on it or keep it next to your body for a hour or two you get the same temp.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hands,water, towel, and for my teeth a muswuk stick as for solar showers bloody waste of money if you fill the bag with water and either sit on it or keep it next to your body for a hour or two you get the same temp.

Depends on your location. In the Florida sun, they get more than warm enough quickly. But on the downside, you really don'y want hot water here, you'd rather cool off.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I tend to use this, both in my pack or just when i go on holiday.

utf-8BV2luY2hlc3Rlci0yMDE0MDIwNS0wMDQ2NS5qcGc_zpsf00ff3bd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

utf-8BV2luY2hlc3Rlci0yMDE0MDIwNS0wMDQ2Ny5qcGc_zps9c5c91b3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The wash kit is stowed in the small dry bag, wrapped in the towel then placed in the black dry bad which is also a shower bag.

Louis

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
... as for solar showers bloody waste of money if you fill the bag with water and either sit on it or keep it next to your body for a hour or two you get the same temp.

Regardless of how you get the water to temperature, they are still worth the money, because you get the bag itself, (which could easily be improvised), but more importantly, the attached shower head with adjustable output. Your not gonna easily improvise that. Having said that, I can kind of see where you were coming from, because I never bother taking one when I'm backpacking. I'd rather save the weight.

On a different note; it's interesting to see that almost everyone takes toothpaste. I always take a toothbrush and dental floss, but never toothpaste. Why would you? It's the scrubbing action of the brush that cleans the teeth. Some may say that you need the flouride in the paste, (others would say not - but that's a completely different debate), but for the sake of just a few days, the lack of flouride would make no difference whatsoever. Of course, if you just like the minty flavour, then that's a separate issue, but if were going to start talking creature comforts then there's a whole host of extra weight that we could lug into the bush.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I tend to use this, both in my pack or just when i go on holiday.

utf-8BV2luY2hlc3Rlci0yMDE0MDIwNS0wMDQ2NS5qcGc_zpsf00ff3bd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

utf-8BV2luY2hlc3Rlci0yMDE0MDIwNS0wMDQ2Ny5qcGc_zps9c5c91b3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The wash kit is stowed in the small dry bag, wrapped in the towel then placed in the black dry bad which is also a shower bag.

Louis

That is a great wee kit, simple and contains all that is needed.

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
Flannel (big one, so it doubles as a towel)
Small block of soap
Half a toothbrush
Some toothpaste in little bag
Some plastic bags.
Oh, and a little tin to put it all in.

Not good for hugh expeditions, but great for anything under a week long:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE