Basic traditional kit ideas please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 4, 2015
Wales
Hey folks. Just a quick post, I'm after ideas for a traditional style, basic, small kit. I've been in the army ten years so I'm after something different when I'm out and about, not all the modern kit. I'm drying a rabbit skin I shot the other night, so I plan on making a pouch with this. I have a small canvas haversack, and an opinel number 8. I'm debating a hatchet but unsure what, and what is fairly cheap. Most of my outings are just day hikes rather than over nighters. All ideas would be appreciated. Basic, cheap to buy or make, and not too much. Thanks.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Compass and maps, Mora #1 knife, husquavarna hatchet for under 20 bucks and some trekking poles and i'd be offski, maybe a mini water filter too so i could go further without carrying so much water weight

Jan 4, 2015
Wales
I will look at the challenge. Is that hatchet decent enough to get you going? I've looked at DIY oilskin tarps from a bedsheet and linseed oil. I'm curious if I could use the same method to waterproof my canvas javeesack.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Traditional kit can mean different things to different people - to some it is authentic pilgrim pieces that cost an arm and a leg, and to others it can be hand made stuff.

I know that you've said that you are Ex-army, but take a look at the kit from other countries forces - some of it beats the Brit issue kit hands-down.

Failing that, an image search for traditional kit, then a fossick through the charity shops to see what you can press into service.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE