Basic Leathercraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I couldn't find much info on this when i did a search, so here goes:

Can anyone recommend a good book that covers the basics of leathercrafting?

Also, what would be the very basic set of tools required to make a sheath or possibles pouch?

Thanks in anticipation, :D

Neil

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I buy tools ,dye and leather from LePrevo.
There are plenty of other suppliers but i find them very helpful and the postal service is spot on.

rb

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Get yourself up to the North Scottish Meet in two weeks time. I'm bringing two sides of leather, loads of linen thread, wax, saddle makers needles and awls by the dozen. I'll be teaching anyone who wishes to learn, how to make sheaths. I'll even demonstrate making a pair of shoes. In fact, I'll be finishing a pair off for one of Toddy's friends. I buy all of my stuff from Le Prevo. I only live a few miles from them so I call in regularly. One advantage of that is I get to rake in the offcuts bin and I get tons of good bits (big enough for possibles pouches) for pennies. It's like an Aladin's cave in there, and the smell of leather.... Mmmmm! (No I don't have a fetish!)

If you can't make the meet, get yourself some saddler's needles (blunts), a diamond shaped awl, something to lean on (don't push holes through the leather on the dining room table), and a pair of pliers (to pull the needles through when they get stuck in the hole). You'll need linen tread and beeswax to run the thread through before you stitch the leather. That's about it for the gear. Oh, and a sharp knife. All you'll need to learn is the saddle stitch.

You might also want to look up embossing leather. That's basically soaking the leather till it goes soft then pressing stamps or drawing depressions in the leather with a blunt point. Once the leather dries, you have a nice pattern embossed in it.

Have fun,

Eric

Thanks Eric,

I'm not sure SWMBO will let me go to Scotland for the meet!
(Not this time anyway ;) )

Thanks for the tip about the table, I'm not actually sure I would have thought about that (no seriously, i remember a stapling incident a few years ago..LOL)

Any leather going spare for a small fee?? :D

Thanks again,

Neil

Hi Raskusdrottie,

As Rapidboy mentioned, there's a lot of stuff over on BB about leather work. My sister has a thread answering people problems and giving advice as she's a Master Saddler. I know that she reccomends La Prevo and uses them a lot. They're happy to give advice over the phone as well so it's always worth giving them a call, letting them know what you're doing and seeing what they reccomend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE