Basic kit for a beginner?

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Hi, I'm pretty much just starting out and I'd like some advice on what kit is essential for a beginner at bushcraft.

I'd like to be doing get-togethers and camping, not for really hard use but for the odd trip out for a couple of days.

What items of kit do you recommend I get as a foundation that I could go to a get-together or a few nights camping by myself without having to add to unless I find something that I want to take?

I'm a student so funds are limited so I want to make sure I am getting what I need and not getting things I don't need so I can enjoy a couple of nights camping but not buying excess things I don't need.

Thanks for any info/advice :)

Asa.

EDIT: Sorry I just realised I put this in the wrong section! Could a Mod please move it to Kit Chatter?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Most important will be an open mind,
any number of people might jump in with kit that they wish they'd had when starting out, but if your budget is restricted, read/learn and try other peoples kit before you part with your own cash. If you can get along to any of the moots/meet ups, there'll be plenty of folk willing to show you their kit so you can make an informed choice based on what your personal expectations are.
Everyone will recommend a Frosts More knife, but beyond that, there'll be selections to be made according to budget and any number of other factors.
For a few nights camping, you could be looking at a tarp and bivi or hammock set up but if you have a tent already, why not use that before you buy anything else.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Mr Mears summarises a basic kit list quite well in his books ...

Something to carry it in,
something to sleep under,
something to sleep in,
something to sleep on,
something to cook over,
something to cook in,
something to carry water,
a mug,
eating utensils,
food,
medical kit,
illumination,
wash kit,
"possibles",
clothing &
navigational equipment.

Take from that what you will but I think the first 5 or 6 items are key and of course they can be sourced fairly cheaply, ex-issue etc.

Have fun and keep your eye on the classifieds section.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Try and go for kit that you already have in the house. An old 2 litre coke bottle makes a good water bottle for starters. Knife fork and spoon from the kitchen drawer, a plastic cereal bowl won't break and a plastic beaker or a mug for your brews. You can put dry goods such as sugar, coffee and cereals (weetabix, oats, etc) into plastic freezer bags. Grab a small pot from the kitchen and you have a cookset sorted for nowt. You can use a duvet camping, you can place it inside some tough bin bags and that will keep it dry. It is bulky, but at least you won't have to shell out on kit. Failing that, a couple of blankets will keep you warm, and it is getting to the warmer part of the year so you should do OK. You don't even need a pack, you could make a Roycroft Pack Frame and wrap all your gear up in a cheap blue builders tarp that will double as your shelter.

Don't start envying everybody and their expensive kit, it isn't a necessity. If you can get by with cheap kit and enjoy yourself to boot, then you are doing OK.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Lol, ok what I have already:

SAK,
opinel no.6
fallkniven DC4
Small NATO firesteel.
I can probably get my hands on a tent, sleeping bag and camping mat, and maybe a small camp stove.

Pretty small bunch of stuff really, what I want to acquire next are: Mora clipper, proper sized fire steel, folding saw, bivvi bag, tarp and stove. That might take me a while to get though.

EDIT: Got mixed up with the dates, I might be able to make the 30th and the 31st meet up.

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
The local clan meet is at Woodland Valley Farm at Laddock, the next meeting is 30-31 May (costs a fiver). If you need transport PM me, I live close to you.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE