Basic kit for a 1 night stay?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
If it's an overnight, low impact camp this is the kit I usually take.

Small-Camp.jpg

Reactions: TheGreenMan

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Wayland, I have a couple of those Ikea pots at home, and had thought they would make a perfect brazier, but my 12 cm Zebra is just slightly the wrong size to use with it.

That must be the 10 cm right?

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Wayland your pictures always look like their professionally done, is it just a case of setting your camera on timer and hoping for the best or is someone taking then for you?

Cool idea with the stove spotted the Ikea job straight away. :D

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Dunk said:
thanks for your advice guys & gals?

what the best way to tie guy lines to a tarp?
If it is a tarp with eyelets use a bowline through the eyes. If it doesn't have eyes, or they have ripped out :rolleyes: , I fold the corner and use a jack ketch(hangmans) knot. You can also put a small pebble in the corner or along the side and fold the tarp over it, but I find folding it and pulling the knot tight works well enough.
http://www.folsoms.net/knots/
Failing all else, lots of knots works, just a bit of a bugger to untie again!

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
plenty of socks and underwear :) especially if your eating dodgy salad 3 times a day like i did in the high atlas :lmao:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
dommyracer said:
You're going to walk 4 Miles wearing Thermals, Wool Jumper and a Goretex Jacket? :eek:

I dunno about you but I get quite warm when I'm walking, so strip back to basics - then put the warm stuff on when I'm not moving around.

You'll probably end up carrying the Wool jumper and the jacket, unless you want it all to get damp.

I'm with Dommyracer, 4 miles in thermals and goretex! A lesson I learnt the hard way is to always start off cold when walking because you will soon get warm!

By the way what is a dommyracer? :confused:

But after all that I hope you have a good night mate.. :D

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Localy all i take is my tarp, sandwiches, gas stove, coffee,milk,sugar, torch,mobile,sleeping bag and a hammock.

My bivvi too if its very wet

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
Wayland said:
It's an Ikea cutlery drainer with a hole cut in the side and a couple of skewers through the top to stand the pot on.

It costs about £2.29 I think.

Having seen you photo on that thread from yesterday I was inspired to have a play today.
STA70410.JPG

STA70412.JPG

STA70422.JPG

Ikea stainless cutlery drainer. I have not cut a hole in the side as of yet - dropping fuel down side or taking billy off heat briefly to add more if needed.

Ikea stainless sealed lid pot (coffee holder) for a billy can. I did not own a nice round billycan so took the wooden lid attachment off this pot, added a removable handle from an broken British army mess tin, and fitted a stainless lid from a disused teapot. It holds over a pint of liquid and fits neatly down inside the cutlery drainer for stowage.

Skewers are from supermarket I think. Straightened them out then bent the prongs outward to give a sprung fit to the existing holes in the drainer.

Thx for the fun, I enjoyed playing.

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
saffy said:
Thx for the fun, I enjoyed playing.
Just wait until the better looking half of your relationship finds out what you've done :eek: , the cutlery holder aye, but what about the skewers, the teapot and the coffee jar ??? i can see :soapbox: on the horizon :D

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
Bhod said:
Just wait until the better looking half of your relationship finds out what you've done

One of the major priorities in my life is titled in bold and underlined in red marker pen "MAKE SURE MY BUDDY BHOD NEVER EVER HAS A CONVERSATION WITH MISSES AGAIN" :buttkick:

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Goose said:
If it is a tarp with eyelets use a bowline through the eyes. If it doesn't have eyes, or they have ripped out :rolleyes: , I fold the corner and use a jack ketch(hangmans) knot. You can also put a small pebble in the corner or along the side and fold the tarp over it, but I find folding it and pulling the knot tight works well enough.
http://www.folsoms.net/knots/
Failing all else, lots of knots works, just a bit of a bugger to untie again!

Goose/anyone,

For the other end of the line as a lashing to a tree would you recommend a clove hitch? Or is there a better technique?

Matt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE