Basic kit for a 1 night stay?

Wayland said:
If it's an overnight, low impact camp this is the kit I usually take.

Small-Camp.jpg

your very good at the far away thoughtfull look into the distance :D

ATB
Duncan

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Ahh,

Thanks led.

I definately need to bone up on knots so I'm sat here at work putting knots into CAT5 ethernet cables :)

Edit: CAT5 is no good for tying a tautline hitch (too slippy) so I'm off to find some rope ;)

Edit: Nipped out at lunch and bought some paracord. I have cut a small length and have been practicing the bowline and tautline hitch over and over all afternoon and am pleased to say I'm getting pretty profficient :)

I think I'll be having a crack at putting the tarp up in the garden when I get home :D

Matt.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I usually use the falconers knot/hitch to fasten the first end of my tarp to the tree and a variation of it on the other end that allows me to pull it tight, but will undo with a good tug on the standing end. On my hammock I take a turn round a tree usually, depends on size of tree, and a slip knot to tie it back to itself. It is a lot easier to show than explain! I will dig out my hammock and camera later today or tomorrow.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Here is a link for tying the falconers hitch http://www.themodernapprentice.com/knot.htm
Thanks to LED for the link.
I use that on one end of the tarp line then on the other to keep it tight I take the rope around the tree then take it back the the other way, it pulls the line even tighter and if there is enough cordage I go back around again. Then i finish this with a slip knot usually similar to the falconers.

My hammock is the mosquito hammock and I use basically the method described on here to tie it up, not had chance to get my kit out today. http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
If it is too far between the trees, or the trees are too wide, I tie a loop through the hammock so I have one longer line out and tie on using the falconers knot.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
As a side note I want to apologise to Dunk for the thread hijack. Could one of the mods please move the posts regarding knots for tarps. Probably best to stick them in rigging a tarp if possible.

Thanks,

Matt.

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
Well seeing as this is a bushcraft website and not a camping website. I would say nothing and see if you cam improvise everything you need.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Oooh, a smart-alec reply on a thread over a year old. Very good! Bonus points for trying to dictate what you think the forum should be about.

I'm sure we're all in awe of your purity. Do enlighten us, oh master...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Well seeing as this is a bushcraft website and not a camping website. I would say nothing and see if you cam improvise everything you need.

Bushcraft is camping the minute you setup for the night. While some find it trendy to proclaim 'I'm a bushcrafter' I still think of all of us here as a bunch of happy campers who like to keep some old traditions and camping methods alive and well;)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/camping

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
Bushcraft is camping the minute you setup for the night. While some find it trendy to proclaim 'I'm a bushcrafter' I still think of all of us here as a bunch of happy campers who like to keep some old traditions and camping methods alive and well;)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/camping

I think it's a bit more than that though, considering you can practise bushcraft without camping. Yes, there's camping involved, and in that aspect I'd agree with you, but then there's wild food/medicine/leatherwork/woodwork etc etc that doesn't really have much to do with camping..

Of course that's taking your post out of context, without much relevance to this (very old) thread :p

May I also ask why the revival of this thread? :eek:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I think it's a bit more than that though, considering you can practise bushcraft without camping. Yes, there's camping involved, and in that aspect I'd agree with you, but then there's wild food/medicine/leatherwork/woodwork etc etc that doesn't really have much to do with camping..

Of course that's taking your post out of context, without much relevance to this (very old) thread :p

May I also ask why the revival of this thread? :eek:

When I was a boy scout some 40 years ago, we used tarps, made leanto shelters, lit fires, learned first aid, we were just scouts not bushcrafters;) The leatherwork etc you mention goes back to what I said about keeping old skills going, these often fit in well with camping.

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
When I was a boy scout some 40 years ago, we used tarps, made leanto shelters, lit fires, learned first aid, we were just scouts not bushcrafters;) The leatherwork etc you mention goes back to what I said about keeping old skills going, these often fit in well with camping.

But you wouldn't call scouts just campers would you?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE