Basha vs Hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 14, 2013
Hampshire
So a good friend of mine and me continually have this argument. Which is better, a Basha pegged down into the ground with a roll matt for comfort or a hammock with tarp above it suspended in the trees? Pros and cons for both obviously but just wondered if anyone could sway me. I go by the Basha principle myself.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I love my hammock, have tried a basha and it was ok but not as comfy as my hammock.
Hammocks can be a bit daunting the first time you use it but well worth it.

The main factor is where you are going to use it. If there are no trees a hammock is pointless.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
In the spring and summer I like to use my hammock and tarp for comfort and easy set up, but if there are no trees I will bivi down on the floor.

In the autumn and winter I like to use the bivi and basha and I would set up in a way that I can reflect the fire to myself. But if the ground is uneven, wet,soggy or muddy I would use the hammock.

So to answer your question? Depends really

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
A hammock can be used where there are no trees. I have used my TW Green Hornet as a bivvi bag, a good tarp will also give you more shelter set up options. The only downside to hammock and tarp is the weight issue, but for me that's not a problem.:hammock:

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I spent many years sleeping under bashas, then tried a hammock and haven't looked back since.

Personally, I sleep better in my hammock than I ever did under a basha. There are no roots/rocks to dig in to you, no pressure points etc.

With the hammock, you do need some form of insulation underneath, otherwise you get a cold back. I started using a roll mat, then a semi inflated thermarest, but could not get on with it as it moved in the night. These days I use a down under quilt and top quilt, so it's actually lighter than my ground dwelling kit...and packs up smaller.

Last edited:

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Ah the age old question. Hammock for me . My son uses a tent it always winds him up that usually I can sling the tarp suspend the hammock and put the brew on while he's still looking for the "right pitch site".

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Tents, basha and hammock they all have thier place dependant on terrain season and circumstance not sure it's possible to rate one above the other.
That said for the woods I'd take my hammock over a bivvi/bed roll 9 times out of 10 purely for the comfort and general awesomeness of hammocks :)

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hello and welcome to BCUK

As above tents/tarps ground/hammock all have their place I will do both just depends on were I am , who iam with , and what I want to do, I have to say a tarp and Hammock is my perfered method as I find it the best for a number of reasons that I like, feel closer to nature, and find iot more comfortable,

Do what you think is best but dont knock it untill you try it for a while.... not just one night, some times people take time to adjust to the delights of hammocking

I have to say it is nice to say Hi as well on your first, but hey ho some are more frendly then others.

Feb 14, 2013
Hampshire
Apologies for not saying Hello, didn't see an introductions area so thought I'd get stuck in with a controversial topic opener. I'm Chris, Assistant Cub Scout Leader, Climber, Mountaineer and general outdoorsy type. Oh and with regards hammock v Basha I think I will stick with the floor for the moment. I Enjoy keeping a low profile and tend to roll around a bit too much in my sleep for a hammock.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I say versatility so my thoughts are
a tarp-big enough for the hammock ? on the diamond but also for the ground
a hammock- for when you want or have to on a slope etc
a groundsheet- always needed
a sleeping mat -more versatile than a self inflating and in my case more bombproof
a bivvy bag -light and waterproof Its primarily to use under a tarp
and a sleeping bag-whatever works for you in the conditions anticipated in combination with the above
Dont forget the string

Keep the weight down and you have a versatility no tent can match

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE