base camping day bag contents

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
It all depends on what I was doing TBH Drew...

Could be:
  • A shoulder bag for around the camp area with water, FAK, cutting tools and field guides.
  • A day sack with full waterproofs and food / water for the day if aiming to go further afield.
  • A large day sac for winter exploring with warm clothing etc.

Sorry, but I can't be any more specific!

Simon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have a MaxP Rollypoly Extreme in my pack which I use for a daysack, containing ...

A brew kit or drink of some kind.
A couple of snacks if I'm away from camp for a few hours
Knife
Camera or Binos
Book (if I'm trying to ID something)
Waterproof jacket if the weather's looking iffy
Smokes

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I have a few bags that I use depending on the terrain. If I am doing a forest trail or low level hills I use my Maxped Malaga gearslinger, which holds a lightweight waterproof jacket, a flask of water, my sarnies, binoculars, compact camera and FAK. The various compartments take my notebook, pen, compass, bug net, small knife, sunscreen, spare bootlaces and of course, my map. The whole caboodle is pretty lightweight and the single shoulder strap means I don't get a sweaty back.

If I am going to a more remote area or up to the high tops I will take a 35/40L rucksack. This would hold everything mentioned above plus a fleece, gaiters/leggings, a survival bag and a flask of tea/coffee/soup. A tad heavier overall but still reasonably lightweight. For this type of work I switch between a Berghaus 35L and a Woodworm 40L sack - the latter tends to get used more as it has a decent hip belt and spreads the load a bit better.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
As a round-the-fire handbag / toolbag I have a Maxped Sabrecat with all my stuff in. For day forays I have a Maxped Sitka Gearslinger (a sort of one strap rucksack) which I really like.

Really useful if gathering under a tarp during the day but your tent is some way away.

Last edited:

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
i use a finnish army gas mask bag ( only £ 7 ) inside that there are various pockets in which i put (F.A.K, dutch army water bottle with the steel mug on the bottom,opinel no.6 with the safety ring took off to make it uk legal,a little knife sharpener,one of those little commando wire saws,british army 58 poncho for shelter or just as a rain coat,water puri tabs and a mini millbank copycat,a micro expanding towelette, handwash spray in a pen like tube,silver emergency blanket,orange emergency bivi bag,plastic spork,15 metre's of para cord,fire starting kit e.g matches,bic lighters,hexi cubes,char cloth,fire steel ,all in a baccy tin wrapped up in a 1 litre alpkit dry sack,a milcom tommy cooker with hexi cubes,and various packets of food,e.g miso soup,bovril cubes,savory rice and veg,pasta and broccoli with cheese sauce and drinks too like tea and coffee with whitener,and a small digital camera in a dry sack. ps. i nearly forgot to mention i'll take a over shoulder water bottle as extra if im not near water. it sounds a lot but if u google a finnish army gas mask bag u can see how small it is.

cheers andrew.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
For around base camp I use a Tesco bag for life carrier bag. I keep odds and bobs in it including my main FAK, small shortwave radio, cakes, emergency brandy, backup torch, spare can opener (who pinches can openers, are there can opener pixes?), jumbo crossword book and pens, spare batteries, pack of cards and as of next trip a Backgammon board.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The plan is to spend a year living outdoors in a wood.

A whole Year....... Strewth.... Make sure it is a wood near a Tescos.....:)

These are a heavy duty plastic bag, tougher than you may think, cotton/canvas will rot a lot quicker than these, don't knock it until you try it. I've been using four or five for well over two years carting stuff to and from camps. If your in a sedentary camp they will work.

Aug 13, 2011
These are a heavy duty plastic bag, tougher than you may think, cotton/canvas will rot a lot quicker than these, don't knock it until you try it. I've been using four or five for well over two years carting stuff to and from camps. If your in a sedentary camp they will work.

Errr..... Rik... This was a quote from and for Drew....... Crossed wires an that....:) A reference to Food an clothing not carrier bags.....:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE