"bark" containers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I just thought I'd post a few pictures of some containers/pouches I have been working on recently. They are very much "work in progress" as I haven't decided exactly how they will be finished off yet.

P5220007.jpg

They are in fact, leather copies of the basic Ash bark containers I make around this time of year.

P5220002.jpg

I was thinking about knocking up some demo containers for our bark container workshop, then I was talking to Jed and Ben in Le Prevo the other day, ( Bens booked up) Anyway, we were talking about the type of containers Ben would be making during the event, when it struck me that you could make the same design, only in leather. I had plenty of material, in this case; 2.5mm colombo, so I set to.

P5230002.jpg

It's actually much easier to work with leather than bark, so bits like the "turn-ups" were a doddle.

The rims are 3mm veg moo cow, with some recycled leather thonging fixing them to the "pot" the sewing is all artificial sinew. I made a shoulder strap for one of them; complete with 1/2inch solid brass buckles to make it detachable.

P5230001.jpg

The other thing with these is that they remain soft, whereas the bark containers dry out, becoming like thin wood. The rims can be closed up or opened out as you wish. I'll be making flaps to close them, as well as fitting belt loops.

I have resisted decoration so far, but it's bound to happen:rolleyes:: EDIT (actually...I did a bit of stamping on the shoulder strap, but that doesn't count!:D )

I'm quite happy with them up to now, I like the "rustic" or even "primitive" look they have and I may simply oil them or perhaps just leave them to "season" a bit like buck skin "mountain man" troozas!:cool:

Anyway, just thought you might be interested:)

Oh, btw, the container workshop event is now fully booked ( with a few reserves:eek: )

Thanks for looking
R.B.

rancid badger

Y'know, dipped in hot wax, they'd make excellent water containers.

Eric

Ah..your right but if you have a closer look; I haven't sewn right into the tips of the corner bits. The "turnups":D if you like!
It's a bit of a struggle getting all the way in. I suppose I could have sewn the turnups afterwards, in the same way that I have pinned them up. The thinner colombo is very nice to work mind you. I'm trying to think of how to make a closing flap or lid at the moment, but I can't quite get an idea straight yet:(

I'd like to try to keep the "primitive" look to them rather than a super neat, leather case, type lid-I thought of something like the lid on a binocular case but it just doesn't "go".

Any ideas?
cheers
Steve

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Try a dome shaped lid the same size as the edge of the basket. Then edge stitch a single strip of belt leather to the underside so it makes a snug fit on the inner diameter of the basket wall (a bit like the lids on your saucepans work). That way it'll not interfere with the hanging strap and can be completely removed if needed, while still offering protection to the contents within.

Eric

rancid badger

Try a dome shaped lid the same size as the edge of the basket. Then edge stitch a single strip of belt leather to the underside so it makes a snug fit on the inner diameter of the basket wall (a bit like the lids on your saucepans work). That way it'll not interfere with the hanging strap and can be completely removed if needed, while still offering protection to the contents within.

Eric

Right, I'll have a go, cheers Eric;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE