Barely legal EDC?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
As I said it's my opinion and I don't feel the need to expansively detail why nor justify the same.

All I'll say is this: it looks like the sort of thing someone with a 'Taliban Hunting Club' t-shirt and a zombie patch on his daysack would carry. Ironically when I bump into those types in the woods (and yes it's happened) and I ask what service they were in, it usually turns out they never did get around to actually joining.

So if it's your thing then all well and good to you. I've no dog in this fight but I'll stick with my SAK for everyday carry I think.

Posting on a forum usually suggests you're open to discussion. All I can say is I'm glad you're not a police man, because it sounds like you'd be booking people based off their appearance rather than on the law.

Personally I think it's over priced tat and wouldn't carry it, but this thread is not about the knife's aesthetics it is about it being a friction folder.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I just saw a video where the linked knife below is mentioned as a UK EDC legal knife. I thought this must be a mistake but Heinnie also list it as EDC legal carry. I just thought I'd see what the opinion is here but as far as I can see this could/would be viewed as a small fixed blade with a handle extension not a folding knife. It's similar to a Svord Peasant but the extra grip on the tang would make it fairly usable without the handle. What do you guys reckon?

https://www.heinnie.com/tops-tac-raze-friction-folder

Yeah, mod it and its a different knife. I wouldn't own that much less carry it but it is legal until case law says otherwise

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Yeah, mod it and its a different knife. I wouldn't own that much less carry it but it is legal until case law says otherwise

indeed - this was said post #3 but I bet it will still turn into a 5 page thread...

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Posting on a forum usually suggests you're open to discussion. All I can say is I'm glad you're not a police man, because it sounds like you'd be booking people based off their appearance rather than on the law.

Personally I think it's over priced tat and wouldn't carry it, but this thread is not about the knife's aesthetics it is about it being a friction folder.

Do you somehow struggle to process the fact that I replied means I entered a discussion? I even expanded on my reason.

As for your assertation on my character ref. should I have chosen a Police career, I'll instead leave my impressions upon your character which are formed based upon your numerous postings in this thread to one side.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
UK law is always open to interpretation and argument. So, say someone is stopped by an officer while carrying the knife mentioned by the OP. The police officer doesn't think that the knife is allowed for general carry and charges the person carrying it. CPS agrees and it ends up in court. The prosecutor argues that the *intention* of the 'no locking' rule is to prevent knives that can be used to stab people, and that the friction folder in question, because of the extended tang, can be used for stabbing and hence falls under the description of a 'fixed' blade. Magistrate listens to this argument and finds it reasonable.

That is a possible event. It could also go the other way, the CPS could look at the charge, look at the knife, say "No way will this fly in court, the knife doesn't lock and is under 3 inches, we won't prosecute". Or a magistrate could say the same.

It is hard to say for certain what way it would go and one court case going one way does not guarantee it always going that way.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
UK law is always open to interpretation and argument. So, say someone is stopped by an officer while carrying the knife mentioned by the OP. The police officer doesn't think that the knife is allowed for general carry and charges the person carrying it. CPS agrees and it ends up in court. The prosecutor argues that the *intention* of the 'no locking' rule is to prevent knives that can be used to stab people, and that the friction folder in question, because of the extended tang, can be used for stabbing and hence falls under the description of a 'fixed' blade. Magistrate listens to this argument and finds it reasonable.

So far as I remember this is the way locking knives were moved into the same bracket as fixed.

Also I wonder if they are measuring blade length there or cutting edge. Given the tanto design the latter may well be outside the law. Either way its a dam ugly military style knife guaranteed to upset folk and could end up getting friction folders classed the same as lockers. IMHO friction folders are an out-dated design that are pressed into service that friction folders better serve. I tried one of the Svord peasants and the tang, once closed regularly stuck in my thigh or hip :( . Only option was to belt carry but for every day? no ta. My UKPK pushes the sheeple approach but has a much better chance in court. Usually its my TBS boar.

5teep

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2017
Scotland
It's all down to intent. Walking down the road waving a 2" open Swiss Army Knife about would be frowned upon. If you have the Tops knife above in your pocket and a good reason to be carrying it then there is no issue. I wouldn't have that knife because it's fugly but otherwise if it's legal it's legal as long as you use it legally.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I wonder what kind of use did the legislators have in mind when it was decided what could be a 'legally ok to carry' knife?
Because, to be fully honest, we do not need to carry a knife!
Nobody uses a pensil, use strings, and so on.
Of course the trades that need a knife are allowed to carry whatever design and blade length suits them!

Last edited by a moderator:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
So far as I remember this is the way locking knives were moved into the same bracket as fixed.

This would be my worry. If more manufacturers start pushing the boundaries of what counts as a friction folder then sooner or later the law on them will change. Given that this manufacturer sells a fixed blade knife that is almost identical to the blade on the folder then you would have no chance in arguing that it is just a folding knife in court. A svord or similar has a blade that would be hard to use a fixed blade but this one has a finger grip and a long tang. I've seen plenty of similar fixed blades sold for survival kits etc.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I'm sure Hennie Haynes will have looked into this before advertising it as UK legal, I think once again the aesthetics of the knife doesn't fit with some tastes on this forum would this tread even exist if i was made by Helle and had a walnut handle?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I wonder what kind of use did the legislators have in mind when it was decided what could be a 'legally ok to carry' knife?
Because, to be fully honest, we do not need to carry a knife!
Nobody uses a pensil, use strings, and so on.
Of course the trades that need a knife are allowed to carry whatever design and blade length suits them!

What!....i cant go a day without knife, string, and pencil in my pocket. Theres yer EDC trifecta right there

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
What!....i cant go a day without knife, string, and pencil in my pocket. Theres yer EDC trifecta right there

^^^^^ True although mines just a knife and a pen, knife also has a bottle opener which i deem essential as i can never find the one in the drawer.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Bottle opener? What is wrong with your teeth? Support your lical dentist!

Jokes aside, i seldom have a need for a blade except when at work or at home.

Last edited by a moderator:

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Bottle opener? What is wrong with your teeth? Support your lical dentist!

Jokes aside, i seldom have a need for a blade except when at work or at home.

I do not use mine all that much, but when I do need one, it's great to know I have it. Like a smart phone.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Was thinking the same, so how did the locking blade judgment set a precedence mrcharly?
I said 'does not guarantee'. If you look up those court cases, in the second one the judge initially dismissed the charges. It was only on appeal and the presentation of the ministerial discussions of what 'readily foldable' meant that Deegan (sp?) was found guilty.

Something like a friction folder with a long tang will be ambiguous. I wouldn't want to chance arguing it in court (and I usually have a locking SAK in my bag). MAWM privilege lets me get away with that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE