Barely legal EDC?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I wonder what kind of use did the legislators have in mind when it was decided what could be a 'legally ok to carry' knife?
Because, to be fully honest, we do not need to carry a knife!
Nobody uses a pensil, use strings, and so on.
Of course the trades that need a knife are allowed to carry whatever design and blade length suits them!

I think I must be the Last Boy Scout because I am always prepared. I don't/can't leave my house without being prepared for 1,000,000 things unlikely to happen to me. I carry and use pencils, string, fruit, even a small bit of fatwood (as a keychain) etc...
In reality though most times I've used a pocket knife away from home have been food related but also cleaning nails, removing splinters, pencil sharpening, turning fallen branches into impromptu walking sticks (and swords), whittling, making pooh sticks, collecting flora and once fixing a kite.
Granted most of these aren't necessary but it's nice to know I have a pocket knife in case I need it.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I carry and use pencils

I've never seen the attraction of pencils over pens for EDC. You can't write in the back of your hand and you can't just chuck them in a pocket because the lead is sharp and brittle.

I have the memory and attention span of a goldfish so I carry a small pad and pen everywhere to keep notes. Last night I was walking the dog at about 9pm and a client of mine stopped me in the street to ask me to email him something in the morning. If it wasn't still written on the back of my hand I would have forgotten (hand notes are more urgent that pad notes...)

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Do you somehow struggle to process the fact that I replied means I entered a discussion? I even expanded on my reason.

As for your assertation on my character ref. should I have chosen a Police career, I'll instead leave my impressions upon your character which are formed based upon your numerous postings in this thread to one side.

Mate you replied to say you didn't feel the need to justify your opinion.

Your other comment, well, you're basically saying you judge people on their appearance. Whether someone has a 'zombie slayer' (weather they slay zombies or not) or 'taliban slayer' (whether they slay taliban or not) patch, camo'ed up, or whatever, it shouldn't make the tiniest iota of difference to the legality of a pocket knife they're carrying.

As I said this thread is really about friction folders and not really about this particular knife, and to get caught up in how it looks is a mistake you and unfortunately a lot of police officers seem to make.

Put it another way: my 3 edc knives are a Spyderco UKPK, a SAK, and a F&F sodbuster. They're all slipjoints. They're all under 3" in blade length. If I'm going into the city I reach for the SAK, but if all three are equally legal, why do I do this?

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I've never seen the attraction of pencils over pens for EDC. You can't write in the back of your hand and you can't just chuck them in a pocket because the lead is sharp and brittle.

I carry pens as well, but I mostly use pencils when drawing and writing in certain journals. I personally find pens too definite sometimes, they are great for reminders and to-do lists. Sometimes I often have thoughts/ideas I want to keep but are too ephemeral to really use pens. I like that pencil can easily be written over or rubbed out, especially if/as the thought changes.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I carry pens as well, but I mostly use pencils when drawing and writing in certain journals. I personally find pens too definite sometimes, they are great for reminders and to-do lists. Sometimes I often have thoughts/ideas I want to keep but are too ephemeral to really use pens. I like that pencil can easily be written over or rubbed out, especially if/as the thought changes.

You can always throw away or burn the paper. That's how I keep my journal, it all goes in without order and pages come out as necessary.

I like all writing instruments but especially fountain pens, even the cheap £1 jinhao from ebay are decent these days! The disposable nature of bics and even pencils bugs me a little. I'd very much like to try my hand at harvesting my own oak galls to try my hand at making some iron gall ink, also.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
You can always throw away or burn the paper. That's how I keep my journal, it all goes in without order and pages come out as necessary.

I like all writing instruments but especially fountain pens, even the cheap £1 jinhao from ebay are decent these days! The disposable nature of bics and even pencils bugs me a little. I'd very much like to try my hand at harvesting my own oak galls to try my hand at making some iron gall ink, also.

Do not, whatever you do, look on Cultpens website. I'm on their own version of a mini Kaweco fountain pen with Diamene inks, Koh-I-Noor pencil, and a Rhodia paper notebook. I also have a lovely rough cardboard bound Atoma notebook. Oh, and some very good Zebra rollerballs. Don't look ok? It's bad for the wallet. :lmao:

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Do not, whatever you do, look on Cultpens website. I'm on their own version of a mini Kaweco fountain pen with Diamene inks, Koh-I-Noor pencil, and a Rhodia paper notebook. I also have a lovely rough cardboard bound Atoma notebook. Oh, and some very good Zebra rollerballs. Don't look ok? It's bad for the wallet. :lmao:

It's too late. I buy my Rhodia pads from there and usually throw in a bottle of ink or two. Somehow I'm up to 10 bottles of ink. It's like knife-GAS but with stationary!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE