Barefoot and Blindfolded in The Woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

On Friday I was one of twelve people that met up in a car park outside Escot Park in Devon, I was about to have the way I looked at things in general changed to a very large degree.

Over the next couple of days I would learn that when blindfolded and barefoot in a wood there is a very good chance that you will not walk into a tree.

I would also come to understand that clothes pegs equal paranoia.

That every action has an opposite and equal reaction, but not until you have had a cup of tea.

I think that I can also safely say that we would all become quite positively addicts; I am talking about the Fundamental Tracking course run by Shadowhawk.

I cannot begin to explain the satisfaction that can be found in finding, identifying and then starting to follow something as everyday as an animal track. Tracking is an age old, fundamental skill which is practiced too little by far nowadays :?:.

Max and Rhoda have a passion for tracking which is carried across in their instruction of their students and their passion for tracking is addictive. They teach you awareness of your environment and fine attention to detail that even the most paranoid guardsmen would be envious of. :eek:):

Both Max, Rhoda are patient and informative instructors be it learning the physical side or the classroom orientated side of tracking fundamentals, they are always willing to go over information more than once for anyone who asks.

I would say this, if you get a chance to do a course with Shadowhawk, be it hosted by Gary or one hosted by Shadowhawk themselves, do it.

I had a terrific time and would not think twice about paying to do a course with them again (I am tight fisted as hell and could put Shylock to shame, so this is quite a recommendation), last, but not least many thanks to Max and Rhoda for running the course and to Johnny for hosting it :wave:.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I was lucky enough to be on the course with Leon 1. The weekend was fantastic.

I think everyone should go on a course with Max and Rhoda. The woods before were grey now i can see the colour and the texture. I have been out every night since doing my sits. i had a deer walk within 20ft last night. perfect.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Thanks guys! You were all amazing to teach and hilarious to watch in your tree dodging blindfold antics! :eek:): Seriously though the difference in everyone from arrival on Friday to leaving on sunday was incredible. All credit to you for being such passionate and hard working students, the level of awareness you achieved was through your own efforts as much as through what we were teaching you. I'm so glad you both feel so inspired to continue tracking as that is our main aim in teaching achieved!

Keep up those sits and happy tracking!! :)

Swampy Matt

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2004
Midlands
I had the privilage of being on this course as well, and second everything that Leon-1 and Wayne have said!

A short walk in my local woods on monday afternoon and i'd found fox and squirrel prints within minutes, because i now know where to look. But to top it off, i got to watch four squirrels feeding on the ground less than five yards from me, for about 15 minutes.

This was the closest i have ever got to these animals and for the longest amount of time. It felt simply amazing

I feel that a Shadowhawk course would be a real eyeopener for anyone with an interest in bushcraft or nature.

Matt.

Rod

On a new journey
I was also on the course. It has been a real eye opener and has brought a greater sense of clarity not just to walks in the woods, but also for me to the environment on my doorstep.

I would echo Matt, Leon & Wayne's sentiments: for anyone who wants to develop a deeper understanding within bushcraft a weekend with Max & Rhoda is a must.

cheers guys

Rod
aka

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have'nt had a chance to get out since the course, Monday evening is ear marked for finding a little "sit-spot" and getting back into it.
After thinking about the weekend, I 've decided that tracking will give my bushcraft trips more purpose, I usually try out a couple of new skills on each trip, be it carving spoons or making string , whatever, tracking will only enhance this and has already increased my awareness of my own impact on the environment and for that reason alone the course should be a prerequisite for anyone venturing into wilderness, woodland or countryside.
Neil1

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Blyme, I take it there were some non BCUK members on the course :shock:
Sounds like you all had a great time, I must admit iam a little envious.
I better save some pennies, Max and Rhoda are certainly inspiring trackers.

Cheers
Rich

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Roving Rich said:
Blyme, I take it there were some non BCUK members on the course :shock:
Sounds like you all had a great time, I must admit iam a little envious.
I better save some pennies, Max and Rhoda are certainly inspiring trackers.

Cheers
Rich
I'm saving the pennies as well! Need to start at the begining but all their courses seem to have instantly found it onto the top of my 'must do sometime soon' list.
Unfortunatly the list is already about 3 lifetimes long so I guess the things at the bottom will have to wait and see if there is a next time round!
cheers
David

leon-1

dtalbot said:
I'm saving the pennies as well! Need to start at the begining but all their courses seem to have instantly found it onto the top of my 'must do sometime soon' list.
Unfortunatly the list is already about 3 lifetimes long so I guess the things at the bottom will have to wait and see if there is a next time round!
cheers
David

David you need to move it to the top of the first lifetime list (you know the one that has win the lottery on it). :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE