Barbour Wax Jackets - Breathable?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I've heard that Barbour wax jackets aren't breathable. But then I've also heard that they are. I can't find anything about it on the Barbour website, so I don't know what the official answer is.

I wear mine a lot, but usually just when wandering around, so I haven't done any stress testing to figure out moisture transfer rates or anything like that.

I can't see how it could be breathable, but then wax-treated leather is, so maybe it can be.

What's the verdict?

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I think mine is - but it's nowhere near as breathable as the Drizabone I've had much longer. A damn site tougher though.

I read somewhere that if you hairdryer the wax, it sinks into the fibres, making them waterproof, leaving gaps between, rather than just smearing a layer of wax on top.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Used to use one shooting/beating 20 years ago....if your activity is high, so is the condensation factor. Non waxproof breathables were a godsend.... :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I reckon the fabric itself isn't that breathable but the cut of the garment allows air movement that helps shift moist air out. That said my wax jacket can get damp inside if I'm working hard in it, but the fine wool lining means it's never cold.

Hanging the jacket in full sun seems to soften and even out the wax and let it soak into the fibres. The tumble drier works just as well, though the hairdrier might well be a better idea.

Cheers,
Toddy

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
mark a. said:
So that's a very resounding "maybe, perhaps"... ;)
Barely.....from my point of view. As Toddy also points out. when you're active dampness (condensation) builds up inside. They're tough as old boots, very resistant to brambles, but you get soaked through condensation and sweat... ;)

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
No they ain't ''breathable'' in the sense liken gortex........primarily they are just a wool lined 'water proof' jacket.........if ye've bought one o' the 'knock off' copies in the past, ye'll know that the side pockets lets water in liken a skiff on the reef!!......An' they do get 'sweaty' after a prolonged work out.......also the hood is rubbish....opt fer a barbour hat t' keep the drips from yer neck....also cheap way o' re-waxin'......WAX-OIL CLEAR......much cheapness.....an' in my mind...BETTER!!.....but then.....20,000 toffs on the estates can't be wrong eh?.....lol.......''just a peneth from a geeze that haz one''...... :D

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
OK, thanks. My curiosity has been sated. As I said, I don't tend to do much strenuous work in my Barbour anyhow. Whether it gets condensation inside or not isn't easy to tell because of the lining.

Does anyone know why waxed leather walking boots are meant to be breathable, but waxed cotton isn't?

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
mark a. said:
OK, thanks. My curiosity has been sated. As I said, I don't tend to do much strenuous work in my Barbour anyhow. Whether it gets condensation inside or not isn't easy to tell because of the lining.

Does anyone know why waxed leather walking boots are meant to be breathable, but waxed cotton isn't?[/QUOTE]

Good question. :rolleyes:

IMO,if it's waxed it aint breathable. :)

Like everything else,it's a compromise.If you need a tough,rip resistant jacket,the Barbour is hard to beat.If you are working hard in it,your sweat output will overpower any "breatheability" it might have.
The same goes for the latest high tech material.

You will reach saturation point if you try hard enough. :p :)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I'm not so sure about this one either. I once gave a friend of mine a full length Drizabone oilskin duster that was given to me as a throw-a-way, and my gosh it's a tough coat. As to whether it's breathable, I don't know.

I can tell you that oilskin is probably just as tough as Barbour Wax jackets. Oilskin is traditionally made with sailing cloth, which is very thick, tough, heavy ounce canvas. As far as I know, Barbour cloth is as well. And, regardless of the fabric being treated with wax or oil, I would say that they are quite similar except for the obvious difference. An American company known as Filson http://www.filson.com uses a was mixture for their garments. Very similar to Barbour I believe.

Adam

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I've got the full-length Drizabone, and while it's better than a plastic bag, it's not what you'd call breathable. Good hardwearing coat though. Although it does weigh a bit. :)

I also have a tin of genuine Drizabone proofing, and it's a wax.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I was just looking at the Meindl website, and in its care instructions for leather boots it says you shouldn't heat wax when applying it, as it then penetrates too deeply and breathability is impaired.

So perhaps a thin surface layer is ok, but with waxed cotton, the wax is sort of melted in (with hot wax and/or hairdryer), thus all air gaps are filled?

B

brasst

wax being a solid in no form can be breathable barbour jackets when re-proofed are coated in melted wax on a heated table for the wax to penetrate the weave they are definately NOT breathable jackets although barbour do make breathable jackets in a similar style the material used is a completely different breed as for being a warm jacket even barbours tell you that its not and advise wearing it as an over jacket or with a fleece lining that they produce to fit inside with press studs

ex barbour employee

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
mark a. said:
I was just looking at the Meindl website, and in its care instructions for leather boots it says you shouldn't heat wax when applying it, as it then penetrates too deeply and breathability is impaired.

So perhaps a thin surface layer is ok, but with waxed cotton, the wax is sort of melted in (with hot wax and/or hairdryer), thus all air gaps are filled?
Yes it does melt in........I used to spread it on then warm the surface up with a hairdrier. The waterproofing is actually achieved by causing the wax to impregnate the cotton so as to make it waterproof. If this process is not thoroughly achieved, the waterproofing is compromised.....the upshot is that evapouration of sweat and condensation is poor......hence it's not a breathable performance jacket. That's basically why goretex and hydrophilic and other coatings took over the market for hillwalkers and performance activities about 15 years ago because (despite modern day negative comments about goretex) they're so much better... :)

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Sorry to drag this back up again, but my wife got a Barbour wax jacket for Christmas, and I was just looking at the "instructions" leaflet. It say something along the lines of "Unlike many other waterproof garments wax jackets allow the outward passage of air to avoid a build up of condensation".

So it looks like Barbour do reckon they're breathable after all. I'm still confused!

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Mark,

I wouldn't waste too much time trying to wrap your mind around "breathable" and "not very breathable" and "somewhat breathable". Look at this way: Oilskin coats and jackets will breathe a bit more than your average PVC slicker garment. This is probably due to the cut of the garment rather than anything to with the actual fabric itself. I wouldn't try doing any really strenuous physical activity while wearing one (or your wife for that matter) but for a walk up a chilly knoll you'll do just fine.

Cheers mate,

Adam

Jan 22, 2006
uk
got a howies ventile (in the sale) a while ago, cant recommend it enough. walking home in a thunderstorm last weekend, it let in some rain through the zipper, but not much. breathability, weight, general design etc is pretty much perfect. no fuss, a bloody great jacket you can wear to the pub too. ideal. i find some clothes can make people pre-judge you, which can sometimes work against you. had a wax jacket for years as a kid tho, like you say, not very breathable - but that didnt really exist as a feature back then!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE