Bank line

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Good link Stu, but I have to take issue with the comment in there about abrasion resistance.

Any cordage with a braided outer like paracord is likely to suffer badly from abrasion. And nylon isn't generally good for abrasion resistance (polyester is a lot better). So cord with a braided nylon outer is likely to be especially bad.

The main thing I like about nylon is that it's strong for its weight and it stretches more than many other materials.

A while back I bought a few packs of parachute cords salvaged from scrap parachutes. It comes in short lengths of course, as it was used on the 'chutes. I really like that you don't have to agonize about cutting it. :)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Good link Stu, but I have to take issue with the comment in there about abrasion resistance.

Any cordage with a braided outer like paracord is likely to suffer badly from abrasion. And nylon isn't generally good for abrasion resistance (polyester is a lot better). So cord with a braided nylon outer is likely to be especially bad.

The main thing I like about nylon is that it's strong for its weight and it stretches more than many other materials.

A while back I bought a few packs of parachute cords salvaged from scrap parachutes. It comes in short lengths of course, as it was used on the 'chutes. I really like that you don't have to agonize about cutting it. :)

Thanks for that Ged, I think the point that I was trying to make about abrasion resistance is that "genuine" paracord tends to be better on that front than the cheaper stuff that I generally use, some of the cheap stuff is terrible at dealing with any kind of abrasion.

I like the idea of buying a bag of paracord off-cuts, that sits nicely with my aversion to waste (especially wasting to good string by cutting it up!)

Cheers

Stuart

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
As far a line/cord goes has anyone else tried kite line, braided or unbraided, From years of flying , I know there are many kypes a line that I have used and have in my stock in the garage, also to stop water ingress and friction/abration, we have used a Slicon Spray as this does not damage the lines and when using twin and quad lie stunt kites, durring stunts, and displays it helps when lines from the kites get twisted together,

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
waxed polyester whipping twine http://www.marlowropes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98&Itemid=174 is also very good for a variety of uses, being polyester it retains very little water when wet and does not stretch as much as nylon (unless stretching is a benefit of course), it is ususally 3 ply twisted so is a lot easier to reduce into seperate strands than standard braid. One thing that may be of interest is to remember that ''spun'' twine and standard twine have totally different handling qualities, for instance ''spun polyester'' is used for making table mats etc for restaurants as spun polyester soaks up and retains water (drinks spills) in a similar way to cotton but standard polyester does not retain hardly any water at all, that is why it is used for making table mats plus the fact that polyester is more abrasion resistant than both cotton and nylon. See this link in twines qualities http://www.linenlovers.com/articles/spun-polyester-history.htm

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE