Bamboo Bow No. III

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Okay! You're probably all a bit bored with this now, so I shall make this the last "bamboo post" for a while :eek: .

Luckily it has turned out as well as I could have hoped for. It has a draw weight of around 30lbs, so still within reach of the scouts draw weight. Shoots well, 250-300ft and retains accuracy.

Constructed with four canes, two longest staggered with thickest ends for the tips and the third cane on the belly offset with its thinner end nearer the tip to equalise the curvature. The fourth cane is approx 8 inches long and forms the handle on the back. Once again the whole is lashed tip to tip and laquered...

DSCF2486copy.jpg

As opposed to bow II the arc appears to be quite symetrical, and feels comfortable when drawn.

DSCF2478copy.jpg

I'm off to make some arrows and then a "birch bark quiver"...Now where is that tutorial I saw the other day..... :rolleyes:

Reactions: tomtom

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
:)
Hi Stovie
Robin Hood eat your heart out ;) Thats more like it. What is the penetration like?
Can you do a pic of your arrows?

Rgds
Tutchi
:cool:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Tutchi said:
Hi Stovie
Robin Hood eat your heart out ;) Thats more like it. What is the penetration like?
Can you do a pic of your arrows?

Rgds
Tutchi

Hi Tutchi

Penetration is 8-10 inches into a straw bale at 60ft. And that is without metal tips.

These are what I'm making at the moment. Had a batch of dowling left over from a previous job, set with duct tape fletchings. Simple and quick (it has to be for the scouts ;) ). I am getting Goose primaries in the new year (after christmas :D ) and will attempt proper fletchings then.

arrowsIIcopy.jpg

Cheers!

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
stovie said:
Okay! You're probably all a bit bored with this now, so I shall make this the last "bamboo post" for a while :eek: .

Luckily it has turned out as well as I could have hoped for. It has a draw weight of around 30lbs, so still within reach of the scouts draw weight. Shoots well, 250-300ft and retains accuracy.

Constructed with four canes, two longest staggered with thickest ends for the tips and the third cane on the belly offset with its thinner end nearer the tip to equalise the curvature. The fourth cane is approx 8 inches long and forms the handle on the back. Once again the whole is lashed tip to tip and laquered...

DSCF2486copy.jpg

As opposed to bow II the arc appears to be quite symetrical, and feels comfortable when drawn.

DSCF2478copy.jpg

I'm off to make some arrows and then a "birch bark quiver"...Now where is that tutorial I saw the other day..... :rolleyes:

WOW!

What is the bow lashed and laq' with?

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Is there any chance of seeing a series of constuction pictures as I would like to ave a go at making your wonderful looking bow

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Emdiesse said:
Is there any chance of seeing a series of constuction pictures as I would like to ave a go at making your wonderful looking bow

Hi Emdiesse,

If you use Chris Claycomb's tutorial on Bamboo Bow making, this is pretty much my starting point. I used less canes and then lashed the whole tip to tip.

I did not take pictures as I was constructing the bow, but I have no doubt I will be making another one soon, so will post some images on this link when I do.

have fun. If you want any other info, PM me

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
OK, thank :D
I think I will be having a go at this sometime.

One thing i will quickly ask is what do you use for the lashing and what do you use for the bow string?

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Emdiesse said:
OK, thank :D
I think I will be having a go at this sometime.

One thing i will quickly ask is what do you use for the lashing and what do you use for the bow string?

The lashing is standard hemp cordage (but you could use anything) then laquered. The bowstring is any strong cord you can get your hands on. I use various things but mostly linen, using the flemish technique.

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
Hi Stovie
did you see Ray Mears on Sky yesterday? Was with a guy who makes bows by carving them out of wood using flints and the like. I think it would have been right up your street.

Rgds
Tutchi

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Um.

That would be the repeat of the show that was on BBC2 a while back, first of RM Bushcraft series. The bowyer was Chris Boyton and the flints were knapped by John Lord. :rolleyes:

A yew bow using flint tools is rather more of a commitment than a cane bow :lmao:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Tutchi said:
Hi Stovie
did you see Ray Mears on Sky yesterday? Was with a guy who makes bows by carving them out of wood using flints and the like. I think it would have been right up your street.

Rgds
Tutchi

I have seen it before. Am I right in thinking he uses an Ash stave. The reason I mention this, is that I am seasoning one at the moment. :D Though I am not intending to use flint...THIS time ;)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Fantastic work stovie, have you though to taking things to the next level and slitting larger di bamboo and using the stripps for the bow?

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
tomtom said:
Fantastic work stovie, have you though to taking things to the next level and slitting larger di bamboo and using the stripps for the bow?

Thank you tomtom...

The thought has crossed my mind, and now that I have a supplier in mind of SUBSTANTIAL cane, it may become a reality. The other plan is to use bamboo as one layer in a composite bow...a traditional method in the east...the options are many...

bowarrow.gif

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Hi Stovie, great looking bow!

You've inspired me to give it a go. I've bought some 8ft canes and read the other link to the more detialed instructions, but for a complete dimwit can you confirm a few things for me...

It refers to nocks which I believe are simply the where ends of the main draw string attatch to the bow itself. How did you do yours, only glue soaked string around smooth bamboo doesn't fill me with much confidence (not saying it wouldn't work, I wouldn't know, just on first thoughts!).

I wondered if cutting a notch in each end and tying it through and around to hold it tight together to stop it splitting, but didn't want to make the effort if it was likely to fail.

Anyway, a little crimbo project is just what I need. Did you retenesion anything one it was all set in place and does it need time to settle once the string is on?

How do you know how long to make the draw string and how far to bend the canes for optimum performance without snapping them, or is it just down to feel?

Any feedback on the above would be appreciated

Cheers
Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE