DIY quickie hunting bow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
Hi guys
Just a quickie 1 hour DIY project.

My Son wanted to practice target shooting with a bow and arrow. He was interested and had grown enough to handle a sizeable bow. I was also still curious about the potential of bamboo, after having a bamboo bow as a kid.

So at a garden centre we selected a couple of 5-6' straight canes well seasoned with no obvious faults and I also selected two more of the shorter type (thinner than the two main staves). At this stage you can tiller each of the long staves and watch for a nice even bend throughout and also the canes which have a greater resistance to bending.
Avoid any which develop irregularities under tension.

Method is fairly easy:

1. Tape the main staves together back to back so each end of the bow has one thick plus one thin end.
I taped aprox 18" in the middle then at three places for each limb 6-8" of tape.
(Avoid electrical tape. Tends to undo over time.)
2. Now adjust the length of the two shorter canes so they extend into the limbs.
These will go on the inside and will be under compression when the bow bends.
3. Tape together and fix temporarily to the inside of the bow.
4. Next tiller the bow and test the shape.
5. Adjust the shorter pair length so they allow enough flexibility to the main limbs yet still providing strong compression. You will need to experiment a bit here.
6. Tape the compression staves into place and wrap the middle of the bow with cord for aprox 10-12". (Makes a good grip and strengthens the bow).
7. Choose a bow string of the right width to fit a standard arrow notch. (Helps to already have an arrow.)
I just used white nylon picture cord which comes in various widths, but you could buy a bowstring.
8. Make a notch at each end of the bow on the front face (not too deep) aprox 1.5" in. Wrap a little tape into the notch (stops the bowstring fraying)
9. Make a loop in your string and fit one end. Tiller the bow a little and guage where your next loop needs to be.
(Don't cut to length yet - this will be a process of adjusting the length)
10. Finally aim for a gap of 9-10" between string and bow when strung. Stick a layer of tape around the string where the arrow notches (stops string fraying) and the bow is complete.

A note on stringing the bow and early usage. Wood needs time to get used to the stresses of bending. Take your time when initially stringing to gradually ease the bow to the right degree of bend (try using your knee).
Also avoid pulling back to the full length of the arrow. Start half way and very gradually work up to a full draw watching for irregularities in shape on the limbs that could indicate an impending break.

AFTER SHOOTING ALWAYS DESTRING THE BOW. DON'T LEAVE IT STRUNG FOR LONG PERIODS.

I won't go into arrow making. A project in itself. I bought a mix of alloy and wooden ones.

Final comment. I totally underestimated the potential of this $5 bow (remember I did not choose the stoutest canes in the first place because it was meant for a 13 year old boy). That said the bow would take a deer at 20 yards no problem with the right arrow. On a long shot the arrow dissapeared into the sky and landed 200 yards away at a guess. Not bad for a $5 bow! Be prepared to loose expensive arrows!
As to the longevity of bamboo, I was expecting only a short life. - 8 years later the bow still shoots fine as long as you keep it dry in a shed.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
Apologies gents - the bow is currently languishing unused at my parents place in Devon. Perhaps my price is a little out. Let's double the price to be safe. Of course arrows aint cheap!
Re the bow hunting issue though, of course UK law applies - but is it still illegal on private land with the owners permission?

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
rightly so, its not on :) (just my own opinion) be interested in others views tho, (no arguing and nastiness obviously)
im sure the good folk of this forum can do that (unlike a lot of forums out there)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just like a gun its only as good as the user

Thats a fair point there Chris... also you have to take into account that some people would just try to shoot with the wrong bow and arrow combination... ie a low draw weight bow with target piles.......

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
Im a hunter (or at least have been in the past) and my only issue is with the method of dispatch, I may be wrong as I can only
gather info from footage, but to me it seems very often the quarry needs to be chased down, sometimes for prolonged periods
of time, and if not the blood seems to be very bright and sometimes even frothy, that to me indicates lung damage will the animal
is trying to breath, bleeding out or drowning being the cause of death.
If I was in a survival situation, starving hungry, I would not blink...but!
Also I have not met another hunter using a rifle that has not fluffed the odd shot
(if they say they have not they are either talking BS or have not hunted enough, own opinion again). That to me is forgivable (just)
get back down the range or check your scope!, if your not bothered then some things wrong there, using a Bow looks like it massively
increases the chances of a "fluffed" shot?
I am the same with snares, I know how to do it, I have done it with success, but it all seems a lot of pain if it gose tits up,
pointless if I have a chicken in the freezer or supernoodles in the pack :-/.
I sort of see where the bow hunting idea comes from, primitive!, man versus nature!, back to your roots!, stalking ect.
But then again the hunting compound bows with there bells and whistles and optics sort of defeats the object for me.
Playing a bit of devils advocate here (not sh*t sturring, there is a difference :) lol)
I am no bleeding hart, just interested to see others views, particularly bow hunters, I have brought this up before on other
forums and got bitten on the bottom for my trouble lol but what the hell we all mates right?:cool:

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....I sort of see where the bow hunting idea comes from, primitive!, man versus nature!, back to your roots!, stalking ect.
But then again the hunting compound bows with there bells and whistles and optics sort of defeats the object for me.
Playing a bit of devils advocate here (not sh*t sturring, there is a difference :) lol)
I am no bleeding hart, just interested to see others views, particularly bow hunters, I have brought this up before on other
forums and got bitten on the bottom for my trouble lol but what the hell we all mates right?:cool:

I see bowhunting as an additional challenge (like you) and also prefer to use traditional archery equipment when I bowhunt. Not too many fluffed shots here; not because I'm a great archer (I'm not) but rather because I, like most bowhunters using traditional gear, forego shot we're not sure of.

That said, many bowhunters choose the compound bows not for the challenge but because it means they are simply more efficient and it enables them to legally hunt during archery season; and in areas where gun hunting isn't permitted due to dense human population (such as at the end of the runway on the local Air Force Base) Much the same reasons many muzzle loader hunters use more modern muzzle loading rifles with modern telescopic sights rather than traditional long Rifles or Hawkins.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE