Baking... with premade pastry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Just had an idea of using Jus Rol premade pastry in a dutch type oven.

Freshly baked croissants, pan au chocolat, and cinnamon swirls for little effort sounds like a plan.

So wondering if anyone has tried it? Someone surely must have?

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Aye its handy stuff to take and quite a few folk do. You can do savoury or sweet. (Mr. Mears did some sorrel tarts for pudding in one of his programs). Some bigger supermarkets also do various doughs in sealed cardboard tubes that travel through temperature changes and crush damage.
Handy stuff.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Cool. Use the premade puff pastry in the kitchen, but never thought to try it out in the field until this evening.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Wee things like it make a big difference when your out. The smell of fresh baking and coffee brewing after a cold driech night can really make a moral boost. Can also make the racing-snake ultralight guy camped out in a shallow scrape not far away crunching his dehydrated vitamin enriched sawdust hate you forever as you have a nice breakfast while he shivers away. (Usually nice to make a couple extra and invite them into camp, means you'll make a friend for life and you don't have to eat while he watches your every bite like a hungry spaniel :D ).
Do you take a dutch-oven or something similar while your away?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Various types of oven can be improvised with existing cookware, fire blankets, oven cosys, earth ovens. There are a few threads on it here though and I'm sure we can always do more. What sort of cook set up are you using at present?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE