bag loosing it's water proof coating inside

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 12, 2010
birmingham UK
i've got an old rucksack that i've used a lot and want to keep it going, but on the inside, what looks like the water proof coating is peeling off, anything i can use to sort this out?

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Once a rucksack's lining starts to flake, there's not much one can do.:(
Any product you try to paint on, such as the latex mentioned, won't be tough enough to support constant abrasion & will peel, not to mention it's incompatabilty with the rucksack's fabric.
Either a bag liner ( or keep your gear in smaller, seperate dry sacks) or if you are good with a needle & thread, you could sew in a liner, but is it really worth it. ?:rolleyes:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What the others have said, forget about the packs coating and use a bag inside instead. Very few packs are waterproof to begin with so a pack liner makes sense.

Go for either a purpose made liner with a roll top or just use a plastic bag and scrunch it down. I use a combination of a heavy duty rubble bag and individual small roll top bags for my sleep kit and dry clothes.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Incidently, what brand & size is your rucksack. I ask because some ruckies are worth continuing with, while others, well, it was the lining that was giving some solidity ( even holding it together) to the bag & so cease to be 'usable' once the lining has gone.:)

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I use silnylon dry bags and a waterproof pack cover. I prefer the pack cover over a liner because it keeps the rucksack dry and clean aswell as the contents.

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
For what it's worth, I go ultralight and use an Alpkit 30l Goudon dry sack rucksack. It's £30, extremely simple and effective. Blacks also do a Dry-System series that are more heavy-duty, but good value.

But if pressed, bin-liners or dry-bags, as others have said.

It's all down to budget and availability in the end; adapt, improvise & overcome...

May 12, 2010
birmingham UK
Incidently, what brand & size is your rucksack. I ask because some ruckies are worth continuing with, while others, well, it was the lining that was giving some solidity ( even holding it together) to the bag & so cease to be 'usable' once the lining has gone.:)

it's an old Berghaus dart 28, had it for years and it's been on a lot of trips, would retire it if i could find another one like it but quite tricky finding a new one, think they were stopped being made in blue a long time ago.

was thinking of using Nikwax stuff that you can spray onto tents, but i doubt it's going to work after reading some of the stuff, guess i'll have to use a liner or something, the only problem is the pockets! have to get some good strong bags to use in them.

thanks all.

dixienormns

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2011
meadowview Va. usa
i used a mixture of paraffin wax and bees wax on the outside of mine 250grams of paraffin wax to 50 grams of bees wax melt at low temp till melted pour into plastic junk container set in fridge till solid cut it out of container and rub on pack use low to med heat hair dryer to melt into fabric repeat if necessary waterproofed outside and inside of mine and it will stiffen fabric a little

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE