Badgers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 22, 2004
Essex
Hi just wanted to share with you my excitment at seeing my first badger! was camping out not far from some woods where i spotted a badger set so i put some leftover food outside the tent to tempt the badgers to come and feed.
I went to bed with my torch ready and at about 1am i heard feeding noises and i stuck my head under the tent with my torch at the side of my head thinking the minute i turn on the torch it will run.
To my surprise it just froze like an animal in the car head lights with what seemed like huge eyes and we stared at each other for what seemed like eternity! It was so cool it then just carried on feeding and then walked off!
It looked so healthy and big!
I was so pleased i went out and bought a badger keyring to celebrate!

:wink: Lynn

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I know that feeding animals will only encourage them to be over friendly and start wandering into towns, only to get hit by a car etc etc etc...

But experiences like that can be really uplifting... unless you're camping in bear country that is :yikes:

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Awsome Lynn, badgers are beautiful and make such a noise when feeding, most people never ever see one in a lifetime (apart from the dreaded road kill) where in essex are you and where were you camping? im in essex had a great walk this morning collecting mushrooms and other edibles in essex we're looking for others to join us in our walks, any way congratulations on seeing your badger britain has so few large native mammals so well done seeing one of our most elusive!! :super: :super: :super: :super: :You_Rock_

Aug 22, 2004
Essex
Hi, i was in Hampshire when i saw the badger and yes i agree it was very beautiful, i feel lucky to have seen it. Saw it twice in the end as i did it again the next night. Coundn't get enough!
Where do you go mushroom picking Jon? always wanted to do that. I live in Hornchurch.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Hi Lynn, Mycology is a great subject theres always something round the next corner, now is a good time as the rains have brought them out and the moon is nearly full, humid wet and loads of moonlight mushrooms love, most broad leaf forests are good for mushy hunting Oaks and Beech are the trees to check under Hainalt (spelling?) forest will be good its just on your doorstep, I was over the thorndon parks, A good book is needed Collins do a good one (surprise surprise!) also roger phillips has written a good guide ,check amazon. But the best bit of Kit to take is someone who knows about mushroom collecting :eek:): you can glean so much info in a very short space, there may be some good stuff going on in essex/kent VERY soon you may just find interesting :shock: :wink: watch this space, well done on the badger by the way brings me up in goose bumps thinking about it (fox watching is good too) :wave:

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Cool, well done Lynn. I've yet to see my first badger. :eek:):

What interesting things might be happening in our flat county paganwolf? :)

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Paganwolf said:
Ah got your taste buds tingling eh, watch this space :naughty: , if theres anything you want from the gathering Scott PM me n ill pick it up if i see it n pop it over to u :wink:

ah cool, cheers dude I may just take you up on that offer. :eek:):

Aug 22, 2004
Essex
Jon, sounds interesting! will watch out for that.
As for fox watching I've seen lots of sightings on my own doorstep particularly in the last year, many in broad daylight and in my own garden as i have to get up early for work!
The most enjoyable was on night i got up to the sound of bin bags being rustled, outside my nextdoor neighbours (just thinking what a light sleeper i am!) Causes a alot mess and one day she might wait till the morning but i wasn't complaining this night!
When i looked out my window i saw what i expected, two foxes, but one had its head in the bag looking for treats and the other was sitting in the middle of the road looking around, keeping a look out. Five minutes later they swapped over : one feeding the other keeping watch! Team work!

Lynn

Zacary

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2004
Sounds like your Foxes and our Raccoons have the same idea. Of course back home they are classed as pests while here you guys seem to almost like the idea of scavengers trashing your garbage sacks!

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
I guess its a rare opportunity for 'city folk' to get a glimpse of one of our largest animals. There's definately something magical about seeing a fox. As for badger watching I was lucky enought o grow up on a farm with lots of badger activity. We would often see tham waddling up the lane ahead of us! Raz and I found a huge latrine the other day in a barley field and are planning to go back to locate the sett and spend a night watching them come and go. :)

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Well done Lynn, that was a cunning plan :super:
its so uplifting to see our native wildlife especially when you can get close.
I was over the moon when i got close enough to the Foxcub to get a decent photo. Its quite magical to be able to look them in the eye.
My best badger experience was out lamping, when an entir Badger family walked across the field infront of us. Parent front and rear and three little uns bimbling along in a line between them. A little family outing. :p
i have seen a couple of Badgers recently crossing the road out in the country, so hopefully i camn lay up and get a decent photo of one.
There are some Herons that frequent the local brook, so they are also contenders for a portrait.
Just wish i had some time !

Rich

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
As a side note, badgers can be quite viscous, they have been known to attack humans.
My freind Johnny got attacked when his dog found one. he managed to get between the dog and the badger, but the badger went for his boots. It clamped itself onto his welly and he couldn't shake it off. Fortunately 2 walkers heard his screams "help i'm being attacked by badgers", and came to his aid. His foot was badly bruised, and he was a bit shaken. But his wellies were ruined ! To this day he insists on wearing Steel toecapped wellies, incase he gets set upon again by some mad badger :shock:
Rich

Aug 22, 2004
Essex
Hi, god didn't know badgers where that vicious, but that made me laugh! spose it could have been nasty though.
Arrr.... that must have been great to see a whole family of badgers with littles uns i bet they were really sweet! would love to have seen them.
Yes, some of us city folk are a bit sad i spose we do get excited by a bushy tail now and again, well i do any way! but most people round here couldn't care less, theyr'e more worried about who has got the flashiest car outside!
Must live in the country one day,..........dream on!
I've been watching the dragonflies in my garden today trying to get a photo but the damn things won't settle anywhere.(going mad with my new digicam, shooting everything in sight :shock: )
As for herons well they cleared our pond out of fish but it was great to see it close up, perched on our shed before it helped itself! It only took the coloured ones and not the black, harder to see i spose.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE