Bad weather in the UK

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Heading home from my Girlfriend's in Hamillton this morning there were 2 trees & 3 large limbs fallen across the B road down from the Crawfordjohn pass. Wind being from a different direction than usual, leaves still on trees & wet = damage.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Roof in the office at work has fallen in with all the heavy rain. Sat here on the computer with about 6 buckets around us and blue tarps covering half the room! Looks like a bomb has hit it.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Oh well that's the shed needing new felting...

Roof in the office at work has fallen in with all the heavy rain. Sat here on the computer with about 6 buckets around us and blue tarps covering half the room! Looks like a bomb has hit it.

I think that constitutes as home time ???

udamiano

On a new journey
Sunshine and blue skies but a bit breezy.

Got my tarp out drying at the moment after an extremely damp and windy :rolleyes: Sunday nights camp

Merely water falling from the sky, It was pretty wet though ;). decided to spend Monday at the site as well, and just enough clear weather to dry the chute overnight and this morning. Just started raining again, but home now. Nice hot bath, a cuppa, and then all the blasted paperwork I've been putting off for a week. Back onsite Thursday until Tuesday so keeping an eye on the weather Gods (Be nice please!)

If you're out side folks be safe, be dry, and be warm. and of course have fun

Da

Well the bad news appears to be for folks in the South. Looks like we've seen the worst of it here and the low pressure system is once more in the move.

Last night certainly shoogled a few leaves n branches off the trees here in East Lothian.

....and then the inevitable pita power cuts.

Windy

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Oh well that's the shed needing new felting...

I think that constitutes as home time ???

You would like to think so but unfortunately that is not how this place works. It's just (move to another desk and carry on) If only the HSE or building inspectors came to see this they would have a field day.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Cant beat good solid rain. Great for gear testing. I usually find whenever i buy a new waterproof layer it doesnt rain for a month.

Just came back last week from a weeks tent touring in Skye which did just that. Loads of fun taking down the tesnt in 70 mph winds...Not. Clothing choice performed admirably though.

rosshs1

Apr 5, 2011
oxfordshire
had a few heavy showers just south of oxford but nothing too bad, its ment to be starting to get worse over night but seems dry at the minute.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
it all makes sense now!!! i havent been lead instructor on a course for ages and now the weather is turning crappy, i get to run an over night course all on my own. i think im being set up!!! at least ive got my new gore-tex kit

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Having gone to bed at 02:45 when the waters were subsiding I was awoken again by the environment agency's automated flood warning at 04:34 & told we were expected to flood and to take action.

So I spent yesterday bailing out my porch,
bunging up my drains,
bunging up others drains,
carrying sand bags around for people,
taking the elderly's flood boards out to let the sewage that had come up through their drains out of their properties,
feeding the council workers tea and coffee whilst they manned the pumps trying to clear the street,
moving my vehicles to the higher ground or up on blocks and axle stands as the waters rose,
moving everything manageable from the ground floor upstairs,
and hoping for it to stop raining & the water to subside. mainly the latter!!!

Weren't able to flush toilets or discharge any water from our property for 36 hours because I'd closed all the Flap valves to stop the ingress of sewage and the foul water sewers at the bottom of the street were backed up & blowing out anyway & decorating the street with the associated debris.

Also managed to tweak my back lifting a 3" stone inlaid manhole cover to see if the levels were dropping :-(

On the bright side, the old dear at the bottom of the street came out being carried by a couple of policemen as the water was completely flooded through her bungalow, I wasn't as badly hit as she was & have floors above to move things too.

So anyone who says there is no such thing as bad weather is welcome to try my life when it all goes like yesterday.
As for clothing, shorts t-shirt and wellies or flip flops were the order of the day. Grafting hard so coldness wasn't a problem but I did need something windproof for when I stopped for a break.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
been there myself mate, i wish you all the very best and hope the levels start to drop.

we had 3 feet through the house years ago, the damage is horrendous and sweeping out the "sludge" from the sewers thats left when the water subsides is not good.

once again, i wish you luck mate.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Having gone to bed at 02:45 when the waters were subsiding I was awoken again by the environment agency's automated flood warning at 04:34 & told we were expected to flood and to take action.

So I spent yesterday bailing out my porch,
bunging up my drains,
bunging up others drains,
carrying sand bags around for people,
taking the elderly's flood boards out to let the sewage that had come up through their drains out of their properties,
feeding the council workers tea and coffee whilst they manned the pumps trying to clear the street,
moving my vehicles to the higher ground or up on blocks and axle stands as the waters rose,
moving everything manageable from the ground floor upstairs,
and hoping for it to stop raining & the water to subside. mainly the latter!!!

Weren't able to flush toilets or discharge any water from our property for 36 hours because I'd closed all the Flap valves to stop the ingress of sewage and the foul water sewers at the bottom of the street were backed up & blowing out anyway & decorating the street with the associated debris.

Also managed to tweak my back lifting a 3" stone inlaid manhole cover to see if the levels were dropping :-(

On the bright side, the old dear at the bottom of the street came out being carried by a couple of policemen as the water was completely flooded through her bungalow, I wasn't as badly hit as she was & have floors above to move things too.

So anyone who says there is no such thing as bad weather is welcome to try my life when it all goes like yesterday.
As for clothing, shorts t-shirt and wellies or flip flops were the order of the day. Grafting hard so coldness wasn't a problem but I did need something windproof for when I stopped for a break.

Sorry for your troubles mate. A small bit of advice, if you've been in those flood waters (especially as you say their is sewage and/or debris mixed into them) make sure your TTD immunization is up to date.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE