Bad, good and better!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Actually, Dave, as much as I like and admire Steve in person, and as much as I think Boatman's gone well over the top, you are arguing from an illogical position! Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof! Otherwise I could quite cheerfully claim that fairies tears trigger oak tree growth and tell you to eff orf if you can't disprove it:)

The same goes for Pastafarians, who will give $250,000 (it may be $500,000 now) to anyone who can definitively prove that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is not the Supreme Deity. So far, no-one has been able to claim the reward........

As far as Reiki goes, if it makes someone feel better, then its ok with me (as long as its used as a complementary treatment, not an alternative). Besides, I know its close relative - Rakia - works a treat:)

Mate i would completely agree IF the OP was trying to convince people that the phenomenon was true, he isn't arguing that point, he was merely stating what he believed to have been the events, so as far as i can see it was an unprovoked attack on his beliefs.

Dave

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Glad you are ok now. Take care of yourself.
My wife is a Holistic therapist and I am a Shaman. But that does not mean we do not use drugs/meds/splints etc?
no it just means that we acknowledge that there are other things that can help also
A Shaman will use what ever tools suit his needs and he tries to give people what they need NOT what they want!
The human mind can do amazing things sometimes.
My father in law was a scientist (Franz Mandl statistical physics/Quantum mechanics), but even he in the end had to admit that sometimes there isn't a scientific answer to things.
We used to have many a 'discussion' on this, but in the end, it did not matter what either of us thought, but what happened. He could not always explain what happened lol.
Alan

Nice one, Alan, with you all the way :)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Mate i would completely agree IF the OP was trying to convince people that the phenomenon was true, he isn't arguing that point, he was merely stating what he believed to have been the events, so as far as i can see it was an unprovoked attack on his beliefs.

Dave

Ah- you did say that " There has been no definitive proof that this is hokum". I merely pointed out that some things are impossible to disprove, no matter how absurd they may be. You are trying to shift the burden of proof onto the naysayer, which of course is not the scientific method, although beloved of snake-oil peddlers and other assorted miscreants over the ages. Now I happen to know that Steve is neither of those, but that doesn't mean I'll accept his account without a certain degree of scepticism as to the cause of the apparent relief - which he would expect from me!

Now frankly I personally have no time for all these pseudoscientific "cures/treatments", but if it makes someone happy, or helps relieve suffering (whether or not it is purely a placebo effect), fine. The only time I have real problems is when folks are conned or persuaded into taking them instead of scientifically-proven treatments, and end up suffering or dying as a result.

On a lighter note, one "treatment" that always gives me the giggles is homeopathy. The argument goes that - although the "active" ingredient is diluted so much that there is none at all in the end product, the water "remembers" it, and is therefore effective. Considering what else the same water has been in contact with over its lifecycle (and remembering that much potable water has passed through sewage works umpteen times), how come it remembers the antibiotics etc, and not the faeces and other assorted nasties?!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Steve, I am glad your doing OK an the Old Boy improved, but can I please please stress to any one an every one that Heart issues can't always be treated this way.

My dad had his first Heart attack when I was 17, I was in colladge and I got a call from my Dad's friend saying "Chris I don't want to panic you, but your dad's just been taken to the Royal they suspect it's a Heart attack", I was 30 or so miles away and I got to where I was on public transport thankfuly one guy I was with drove me to the hospital and broke the speed of light to get me there. A few months later my dad had his first quad bypass for a few day's before my dad had been complaining about heart burn, 5 Years later I am sitting at my desk when I get a missed call on my phone and I call back it's my mum saying my dad's in hospital I get there as fast I can, my dad's been feeling "Wobbly" for a few days and had a heart attack that was number two. My dad has since had a artificial valve fitted two years ago, and my inner geek say's "Sweet Dad's a Cyborg", but it also say's "LISTEN FAT BOY, THATS YOU ONE DAY I AM YOUR BODY AND IF I SAY SOMETHINGS NOT RIGHT DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT AND TALK TO A DOCTOR".

So if your heart is cauing you problems, seriously go an talk to a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL as soon as you are able.

But Again I am glad your doing well Ste.

I wish I could give you rep for this, you are spot on.

As for the Reiki thing - well rhythm, gentle movement and the warmth from hands (even without touch) have a calming and soothing effect, particularly when delivered by someone who cares.
I don't believe in Reiki having special powers but I do believe in the above.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
On a lighter note, one "treatment" that always gives me the giggles is homeopathy. The argument goes that - although the "active" ingredient is diluted so much that there is none at all in the end product, the water "remembers" it, and is therefore effective. Considering what else the same water has been in contact with over its lifecycle (and remembering that much potable water has passed through sewage works umpteen times), how come it remembers the antibiotics etc, and not the faeces and other assorted nasties?!

Nothings works as well as Homeopathy.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Interesting idea that all beliefs should be respected and if you don't then you must be filled with hate which is demonstrably untrue. Roman Catholics have a phrase "hate the sin not the sinner" .........

I've heard that phrase very often indeed. But not from Roman Catholics; rather it's from the Evagelicals that were my prime influence growing up.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've been fascinated with Tesla lately, the scientist who pioneered 3 phase electricity and had unique insights into spirituality which led, inevitably, to ostracisation in American scientific society......

Actually Tesla was ostracized for worse reasons. He was on the wrong side of a battle between the millionaires of the day battling for supremacy. One side backed Tesla and the other backed Edison. It was like a real life game of Monopoly (which was actually designed to immulate those 19th century battles)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Should have been all long-winded I suppose and added that it was supposed by some that they could foretell the future......

Foretelling the future's easy; we're all gonna die. Nothing will change that; not the NHS or any "alternative" treatment. If faith helps face that, why do you object?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I dunno! I have a go at Boatman for "wrong time, wrong place", then you lot keep going on about fairies:)

Personally, I believe it is my religious right to sacrifice virgins and eat their still-beating hearts at the Solstice and the MODS must support my right to say so and deny anyone naysaying it......

I'm not naysaying it. I just want to know where you're finding virgins!? We've ran out!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I'm not naysaying it. I just want to know where you're finding virgins!? We've ran out!

Thats because you live in Florida, inhabited by the old! Head northwards, towards the buckle on the bible belt, and you'll find quite a few. And luckily, a disciple of ours managed to introduce the concept of a chastity ring that girls can wear to show the world they are "good girls" (Barnum was on the money with his "there's one born every minute!"), making the collection of such virgins for our rites much easier.

Mmmmm - still-beating virgin hearts - now that's what I call good eatin.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE