Bad experience with blade commission :(

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Sorry if this is on the wrong forum, or inappropriate, but I need to vent my frustration to people who will understand.

So over two months ago I commissioned a blade from a knife maker My go to bushcraft knife is an enzo trapper in 01 and I love it, so I asked Ingermar to make me one from Damasteel to the same specs as my 01; as this was going to be a 200 euro blade alone, I even provided pictures and specified the grind type (zero ground scandi) several times to be absolutely clear about what I wanted. This was the picture I provided:
trapper01B_zps8bf98649.jpg

I received a mail during the week from the knife maker saying the knife would be ready at the weekend. i was delighted having waited two months. I asked if he could forward a picture and after seeing the knife I would transfer the funds.

To my disappointment, he had made the blade to a different spec. Here is a picture:
trapper_zps2768f4be.jpg

It now had a false edge along the spine and included a micro bevel. To say I was gutted was an understatement. Having waited for this blade to be built I was now looking at something that was not to my taste, not what I had asked for, and most frustrating, would be no use for carving due to the false edge along the spine.

Despite my disappointment, I politely replied that although the blade was beautiful, it was not what I ordered and not what I wanted.

The reply I received was both unprofessional and downright rude. He refused to acknowledge the balde had a false edge at the back and that I hadn't ordered this. It ended with him saying, 'that is the way it is, like it or not'.

I am really annoyed at this and needed to vent, but I also thought it might be worth sharing my experience in case others might face similar problems in the future.
:(

Last edited by a moderator:

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Wow I would be just as annoyed as you. Have you paid a deposit? I certainly wouldn't pay him any more as its not what you asked for. What a cheek some people have.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
No, mate. Havn't parted with a penny, nor will I. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks he is out of line.

I did buy some rather nice desert ironwood scales for the project, but I suppose I can use them on another knife. Perhaps I will try one an S30V enzo trapper from Brisa instead.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
No, mate. Havn't parted with a penny, nor will I. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks he is out of line.

I did buy some rather nice desert ironwood scales for the project, but I suppose I can use them on another knife. Perhaps I will try one an S30V enzo trapper from Brisa instead.

That would be a safer option. I have recently had a knife made by HillBill off this forum and it's beautiful and worth every penny. Not sure how busy he is but drop him a message and see if he can help. Very helpful guy and workmanship is second to none.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Yeah, Hill Bill's stuff is very nice.
I spoke to him in the past about a knife and he was very nice to talk to as well. I still want an Enzo trapper blade made from Damasteel though and Hill Bill's knives are of a different shape, still beautiful though :)

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Yeah, Hill Bill's stuff is very nice.
I spoke to him in the past about a knife and he was very nice to talk to as well. I still want an Enzo trapper blade made from Damasteel though and Hill Bill's knives are of a different shape, still beautiful though :)

Ah ok fair enough I wasn't sure if he made custom blades as well as his own shapes. Bugger hey. Give the S30V a whirl.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks for the suggestion though. Maybe Hill Bill will read the thread and want to give an enzo trapper style blade in damasteel a whirl, eh?

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Yeah, that's a different type of Damasteel, but the same knife. I had seen them and wanted one without the false edge, so it's even more annoying how this turned out.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Yeah, that's a different type of Damasteel, but the same knife. I had seen them and wanted one without the false edge, so it's even more annoying how this turned out.

Same maker and shape as yours though, it seems that's his shape and he didn't listen to any of your requests just banged one out to his design not yours.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
That seems to be what happened alright. He may not have even looked at the picture I supplied. It is a bit strange because the way I wanted it would have been less work for him.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
i posted the same thread over there, but some of them seem to think I've done it just to whinge?

sounds about right!

I'd be pee'd off if that was my comission. The dude clearly didn't listen or take them time to understand why you wanted an Enzo copy! I'm sure one of our makers will chime in with offers soon enough, and they will make the knife how you want it!

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Playing devils advocate no money has changed hands and we don't have both sides of the story. As such naming and sharing in a public forum isn't really fare.

Sorry to hear of your disapointment, but I have to agree with mountainm here, it can be seen as bad form to name someone when no real harm was done. and no money lost.:)

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
From what I know of his work, it looks like he has taken the enzo blade and made it in his own style. Knowing the potential problems involved in discussing commissions I suspect this is a communication/language problem.

For a knife maker, reputation is everything and this thread (in my opinion) is unfair to the maker. It will come up in google searches and may put people off dealing with him, and I doubt that was your intention.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have to agree with the above comments but if I were you I would contact Hillbill and see if he will do what your asking. He is always accommodating and even better if you could send him your Trapper for size and shape.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE