Bad experience with blade commission :(

i've editted the indivdual's name out of your post hibrion
its a very frustrating occourance for you and i empathise but naming and shaming isn't going to help either side
as you haven't paid out for it up front i would say i dont like it it isnt what i asked for so keep it and sell it to someone else,

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I quite like the look of the knife he made you. The micro bevel you speak of, could it be where it has been stropped and just removed the etching on the final edge. Might I ask how much he was charging you? PM if you prefer.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
but surely it's good for future customers to know the maker won't replicate a knife when requested only make something in its style?

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
but surely it's good for future customers to know the maker won't replicate a knife when requested only make something in its style?

I was hoping people would see it that way and I mught save someone some future grief :)

If I had said make changes where you thibk they are necessary or make me something in this stype, I woukd have to accept the knife made, but I was very clear that I wanted a blade the same as my current one only in damasteel.

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

that's my thinking too. and I also agree the other party should be able to chime in just incase the whole story isn't so one sided.

I like the knife, but I'd be damn right cheesed off if it was mine! it must have a been a very dissapointing 2 month wait for sure..

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Realy? - we've had plenty of other threads where only one side was presented

The surplus and adventure thread being a prime example, I don't see an issue with this thread as long as it stays factual.

I also think its worth pointing out that comissions may or may not be copies, alot of makers dont want to make exact copies as its an infringment on somone elses work and they might only make something 'in the style' and this thread shows this is the case.

It's happened to me before and it was my design that got stylalised by someone else...

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Realy? - we've had plenty of other threads where only one side was presented

The surplus and adventure thread being a prime example, I don't see an issue with this thread as long as it stays factual.

I also think its worth pointing out that comissions may or may not be copies, alot of makers dont want to make exact copies as its an infringment on somone elses work and they might only make something 'in the style' and this thread shows this is the case.

It's happened to me before and it was my design that got stylalised by someone else...

Surplus and adventure had a representative reply.

My point is simple. Its quite easy for any of us to post anything about anyone on a public forum. I have had enough disagreements with my wife to know its perfectly possible for both parties to think they are in the right. In this case there was obviously a communication issue but no money has changed hands. We don't know the tone of hibrion response to the knife image he viewed. We know very little and noone else is saying they had similar treatment.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I don't think you can use the "not making an exact copy" excuse for this particular one, Corso! This is not even close to being what the OP asked for.

As for both sides of the story, fair enough. However, unless the OP was lying through his teeth in saying he provided that photo with instructions "just like this but in Damascus steel please", then it looks pretty cut and dried to me. As to that, give me some sodium pentothal, a rubber truncheon and a few hours with Hibrion, and i'd be happy to ascertain the facts:)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Surplus and adventure had a representative reply.

My point is simple. Its quite easy for any of us to post anything about anyone on a public forum. I have had enough disagreements with my wife to know its perfectly possible for both parties to think they are in the right. In this case there was obviously a communication issue but no money has changed hands. We don't know the tone of hibrion response to the knife image he viewed. We know very little and noone else is saying they had similar treatment.

Eventually somone turned up after about the 10th thread that was started re their poor service, they joined funny enough because google directed them to the thread :)

besides that was just one example Bronzemoon outdoors hasn't popped their heads up yet :D

I don't think you can use the "not making an exact copy" excuse for this particular one, Corso! This is not even close to being what the OP asked for.

I quite agree mate. I was more describing the value of the thread for anyone asking any maker for future comission - i.e make sure you are BOTH on the right page at the begining.

With the loss of the makers name from the thread the only value it now has is just such a warning.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Just gona let this go. If I was out of line with this thread, please delete it.

Just going to stick with makers I know and trust from now on.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I think you'll have to let it go mate and move on while its good to vent its not realy helping you get the knife you want

you need to be careful you dont put the offers off

can't say i'd be after a Damasteel blade myself but best of luck with your search

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
It obviously wasn't what you wanted and if as you say no money has changed hands I would just send it back to the maker and move on.

The maker hasn't lost anything but the postage and you can not be seen as the baddie for not paying!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE