Backpack to fit a 4feet CrossCut Saw?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VikingGirl

Mar 23, 2016
Gent
Hi guys,

Does anyone know a backpack long enough to fit a 4feet CrossCut Saw without sticking out?
The largest I'm finding about 120 liters, are not longer than 3 feet at most!

Cheers

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
Hi guys,

Does anyone know a backpack long enough to fit a 4feet CrossCut Saw without sticking out?
The largest I'm finding about 120 liters, are not longer than 3 feet at most!

Cheers

I don't know you'll have much luck. A backpack that long would just be too heavy to carry if full. Your only hope might be a military backpack with a 'beaver tail' arrangement used for sniper rifles etc. Which makes me think of an alternative, a rifle bag molle'd to a normal size rucksack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
To accommodate a saw 4ft long you're looking at a backpack that is at least 6 inches longer than the saw and I seriously doubt you would find a commercially made backpack that big.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I thought about that, but people seem to wrap skis to check them in, I fear they won't allow that with a saw..

Are you looking for a way to pack it as checked luggage? Is it a rigid (non collapsing) bow saw? If the answer to these questions is yes, I'd suggest just wrapping the blade securely and safely and just attaching the luggage tag directly to the saw. Another option might be to remove the blade, roll it and pack it, then attach a luggage tag to the bladeless saw frame.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I think it best to make a case from something like thin ply, just two flat pieces with some foam padding bolted together would do, then put the case in a bag. Shouldn't be too hard to make a simple bag, which could then be strapped to the outside of a rucksack for carrying.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Sorry, my mistake. You said "crosscut" and my mind registered "bow saw."

Anyway, I still think if you're packing it as checked baggage the idea to just secure the blade (wrap it in something cut resistant and tape securely) and attach the baggage tag directly will be your only option unless you have a case custom made.

Or adapting mrcharly's idea; cut 2 pieces of plywood that extend the length of the blade (but inside the handles) and are wide enough to cover the blade with enough tp spare that you can drill bolt hole without drilling the blade. Just sandwich the blade between the 2 pieces and bolt them together.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
How about having a leather mask/case made for it? You could have removable straps for it too so that if you ever need to carry it any distance then you could sling it over your shoulder.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE