Best Backpack For My Needs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 18, 2022
United Kingdom
I've bought a couple of acres of land nearby, within walking distance of my house and I'll be walking there at least a couple of times a week. I'm generally finding that I'm needing to carry things every time I go, currently in carrier bags but would like to buy a backpack. I'm generally finding I'm carrying a notebook, flask, sometimes a small hatchet or folding saw, some basic tools, seeds, lunch and just general bits and bobs.

I know there is no group of people who know kit better than you guys. What backpack would you recommend?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi Matthew, welcome to the forum :)

From my own experience of working on land away from the house, you will find you need to carry more and more and heavier and heavier tools as your 'management' progresses. I would consider a trolley of some kind for your tools (even a sack-barrow may be suitable) and a 30-35L bag for your personal items and lunch which, depending on the distance you are walking, would not need to be either expensive or sophisticated. I tend to use a shoulder bag (canvas messenger bag type) so I can whip my binos, camera, or notebook out quickly without having to get it off my back.

Reactions: scruff

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Hi Matthew, welcome to the forum as well ;-)

As Broch stated, your needs will change as you start investing time in you new land. It would help to state you will be doing, or intend to do, and importantly how long you intend staying there at any one time.

One is assuming there is road access, so any full on work using chainsaw etc, can be done in comfort, without having to carry it all via a single pedestrian track/foot path?

If it is just a few tools, lunch, camera and note pad, etc. You could get away with anything from a 12 to 30 litre bag.

From experience I would keep below 60 litres.

I am a big fan of the 5.11 rush bags, they are comfortable for me, even under heavy loads. Have the rush 12, that I use for work, rush 24 for day hikes and day bushcrafting, for camping I use the rush 72.

They will not break the bank price wise, as there are always deals to be had for online stores, they are strong and comfortable.

Others will have there recommendations, but these are mine from my experience, and I have walked 1000s of miles under full load with these bags.

Another note of recommendation, redback dealer boots are bomb proof, in my job and past jobs I would wear through a pair of boots every year (soles and leather worn away)....i bought my current redback boots in 2018, and have only just last week changed the insole, brilliant boots that get worn every day.

Jun 18, 2022
United Kingdom
Hi Matthew, welcome to the forum :)

From my own experience of working on land away from the house, you will find you need to carry more and more and heavier and heavier tools as your 'management' progresses. I would consider a trolley of some kind for your tools (even a sack-barrow may be suitable) and a 30-35L bag for your personal items and lunch which, depending on the distance you are walking, would not need to be either expensive or sophisticated. I tend to use a shoulder bag (canvas messenger bag type) so I can whip my binos, camera, or notebook out quickly without having to get it off my back.
Yeah. The land has road access so can take bigger things in the car to unload when needed. The bag will just be for taking bits of things, such as the binos/notebook/drinks/lunch ect and the odd tool when I don't want to drive.

Hi Matthew, welcome to the forum as well ;-)

As Broch stated, your needs will change as you start investing time in you new land. It would help to state you will be doing, or intend to do, and importantly how long you intend staying there at any one time.

One is assuming there is road access, so any full on work using chainsaw etc, can be done in comfort, without having to carry it all via a single pedestrian track/foot path?

If it is just a few tools, lunch, camera and note pad, etc. You could get away with anything from a 12 to 30 litre bag.

From experience I would keep below 60 litres.

I am a big fan of the 5.11 rush bags, they are comfortable for me, even under heavy loads. Have the rush 12, that I use for work, rush 24 for day hikes and day bushcrafting, for camping I use the rush 72.

They will not break the bank price wise, as there are always deals to be had for online stores, they are strong and comfortable.

Others will have there recommendations, but these are mine from my experience, and I have walked 1000s of miles under full load with these bags.

Another note of recommendation, redback dealer boots are bomb proof, in my job and past jobs I would wear through a pair of boots every year (soles and leather worn away)....i bought my current redback boots in 2018, and have only just last week changed the insole, brilliant boots that get worn every day.
It's not an overnight place really (or at least, if I were to stay overnight I would drop the larger things off in the car first). There is clearing and work to be done though, so it's basically arriving after breakfast and spending most of the day there. Like I said above its mostly personal items, drinks, lunch, camera, notebook, maybe a change of shirt, the odd tool and things I've bought that I need to drop off. It's mostly just a day bag.

I'll take a look at the 5.11 rush bags and the boots, thanks for the recommendations!

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Also check out the 'carrying' section of the forum, and all posts by Erbwurst, who gives phenomenally detailed kit recommendations, particularly with regards to rucksacks.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
I'm also a fan of 5.11 stuff, so I'd check those out.

I also rate Decathlon for excellent value for money - their "Solognac" hunting brand has some options that might appeal...

Reactions: StevieE

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I have the rush 24 which i think is a good bag and is very easy to organise kit with lots of internal pockets.
the biggest drawback of most of the 5.11 bags is the zips are not water proof - and there are alot of zips as it's a clam shell style bag. I carry a rucksack cover for when it rains. i suspect they don't have much rain where they are designed/ built!

Consider what's important to you - internal pockets so each item has it's own place, waterproof (or not), top loading or clam shell etc. that way you can reduce a rather daunting list a little to start with.

For me, comfort is important with a backpack. the best recommendation from one person might be terrible for another because people are built differently and it just doesn't fit. the best thing is to try on as many as you can and see how they feel.
The load you carry also makes a difference with this of course but if the pack is too wide/ narrow/ long/ short to start with adding load will not help

photonician

Jun 30, 2015
United Kingdom
I've bought a couple of acres of land nearby, within walking distance of my house and I'll be walking there at least a couple of times a week. I'm generally finding that I'm needing to carry things every time I go, currently in carrier bags but would like to buy a backpack. I'm generally finding I'm carrying a notebook, flask, sometimes a small hatchet or folding saw, some basic tools, seeds, lunch and just general bits and bobs.

I know there is no group of people who know kit better than you guys. What backpack would you recommend?
My personal recommendation would be a Savotta Jääkäri S, (https://www.savotta.fi/products/jaakari-s) which seems to be available from a few places in the UK.

It is fairly bare bones (webbing straps, single compartment with a smaller zip pocket at the top for small things and a water bladder/backpad sleeve) but it is absolutely bombproof: it still looks brand new after 2 years of use... I even got hit side-on by a motorcycle, with the pack taking 99% of the impact... Pack was absolutely fine apart from a broken strap buckle which was an easy fix.

It has a lot of MOLLE, compression straps on the side and long straps to fasten the (roll top, so no zips and fairly water-resistant) lid, which makes it really flexible for carrying stuff in it and attached to it.

The only thing I missed was some back padding, but savotta make a fairly cheap separate back-pad/sitting mat that fits perfectly in the water bladder sleeve that works quite nicely.

Jun 18, 2022
United Kingdom
After listening to some of the advice here as well as going down a rabbit hole of reviews and youtube videos I've decided on a 5.11 rush. I think I can make this fit my needs very well. Thank you all for the advice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE