Backpack repair on worn thin nylon - lost cause?

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
My Karimor Wind 25 which I have carried for a few years (5 maybe?) has developed a nasty rip from the outer pocket into the inner one. It is badly frayed and will need to be stabilised with a stitch even before it can be drawn closed. Of additional concern is the nylon separating the outer pocket from the main compartment seems very thin, almost transparent. It wasn't always like that, so I'm guessing it is just badly worn or maybe even perished?

Should I attempt a repair, or is a bag a lost cause when it gets to this stage? I spend ages fixing the belt a few weeks back! ;)

I'll be sorry if this bag is on its last legs.

IMAG0169 by Abrasive Scotsman, on Flickr

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
That can be fixed. If the Nylon is worn, a re-inforcing patch either sewn or glued on with Seamseal and then stitched to the webbing will sort it.

rg598

Native
There is a stitch you can use that is used to hold carpet edges together. I don't know what it is called, but if you look around, you can find it. It will prevent the threads from coming apart. you can then stitch the two pieces together.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Glad to see it can be repaired. I hate seeing things thrown out when little things wear out. I'll know what to do when my bag needs a fix now:)

Good luck with your repairs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE