Inflatable ground insulation mat repair - revisited

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
I’ve been a fan of the ‘self’ inflating ground mats since I became aware of them back in the ‘80’s – you cannot beat getting some damp rising/heat sinking mitigation between you and good old mother earth! They are reasonably lightweight, compact, easily stowed and effective and since the military have been using them, fairly cheap to buy surplus. But that is all until they puncture! In the outdoor pursuits/camping arena it is nearly always possible to lay them down on an even, hazard free patch of ground – not always the case when using them operationally – or BC-wise. By default there are likely to be some gnarly roots, rocks or deadfall debris somewhere on your chosen spot and even when you think that you’ve cleared a space there might just well be a hawthorn ‘skewer’ lying in wait to deflate your enthusiasm (usually mid slumber:() – especially if you’re setting up during the hours of darkness. Some years back, after countless repairs using methods liken those identified in a recent post plus several bicycle inner tube repair methods I decided that pre-emptive action was required and sewed one side of a disassembled mat (BER and only cost me 5 quid) to the underside of my deployment one to beef up the protection and create a pocket into which I could slip one of the BW surplus ground insulation mats – result! – no more punctures. But – as periodically seems to be the case, just after I posted a response and the images to that recent thread the BC gods decided to take the P and caused a loss of pressure in the mat between the time that I had posted the reply and then went back to roll the mat back up – b*%@#cks!
The following day it took me the best part of an hour to discover the source of the leak, at one point suspecting that it might just have been as a result of my sewing alteration to the mat, even though I had used it numerous times since without problem.
It wasn’t in fact a puncture – it was the fact that the brass tube of the inflation valve had rotated within the molding that joins it to the two outers of the mat and was now allowing air to escape down the sides! This breach might have been a manufacturing fault which had gradually evolved to the point of failure (although I have to ask – why was a brand spanking new, un-issued mat released well before the recent upgrade?) – or it could have been caused by my own over enthusiastic tightening of the valve? A further point to note re over enthusiasm is the advice of not blowing more than two breaths worth into one of these mats – I have seen such done - and the consequences – too many breaths and the weight of a person can cause an over pressure within the mat that causes the outer to be forced apart from one side of the internal sponge matrix resulting in what looks like a ‘pregnant’ mat and which becomes practically unusable for its intended purpose! Anyway – the repair – had to be slightly different to one on the fabric sides – couldn’t be flexible or it could potentially move each time the valve was opened/closed. Seam sealer? No, too flexible; Evilstick? Likewise; Hot glue? Mmmm – might over do it and block the air inlet in the mat – best keep this one in reserve; Superglue? – tried it – cracked as I closed the valve, might not have taken to the brass of the valve; Aahaa – Nas-coat! I’ve used this stuff regularly to repair bramble, hawthorn and gorse snags on my rucksack covers and a shell jacket and it has worked well, drying to a an almost rigid, waterproof finish. Five days later the mat is still holding pressure. :D

Groundinsmatrep(i).jpg Groundinsmatrep(ii).jpg Groundinsmatrep(iii).jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE