Backpack help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Irvy

Mar 29, 2015
Glasgow
Can any of you guys recommend a nice daypack for starting out and building a kit with? Ideally should be comfy for cycling too.

Love the look of the maxpedition range but are a little pricey for starting out.

Cheers!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Have a look at the smaller of the Karrimor SF range, great packs and nowhere near as spendy as MaxP. There was a small Delta 45 in the classifieds here, don't know if it's still there.................

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The Maxpedition packs are very expensive, they are however very well made and second hand ones are likely to be as tough as the day they were baught. You could have a look at what is available on ebay. Another vote for the Karrimor packs, also very good and again sometimes available on the bay. :)

MarkN

Jan 13, 2015
Dorset
Hi Irvy,

I've got a Karrimor SF Sabre Delta 25 for my everyday, going to work bag. I ride a motorbike and very often have this one on my back while riding. Apart from a few bits and pieces for work and also carry a pair of shoes, trousers and a jumper etc. It's very nicely made and waterproof etc.
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/rucksacks-bags/karrimor-sf-sabre-delta-25.htm

As a good day sack, I use a Karrimor SF Sabre 35. Again, well made and waterproof, although I do keep everything in a dry sack inside for extra security.
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/rucksacks-bags/karrimor-sf-sabre-35.htm

They're both about £70 and well worth the money. I don't mind spending a bit extra because generally you get what you pay for. My previous day bag was a Karrimor sack and I had that nearly 25 years and I paid nearly £50 for that one.

Hope that helps?
Cheers
Mark

Irvy

Mar 29, 2015
Glasgow
Cheers for the quick replies dudes ☺ Those sabre packs look ideal , I'm gonna look into those for sure.

It's always true you get what you pay for, it's striking the right balance between crap and something bombproof.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...and something bombproof..."

Just to throw another one in the ring, if you want bombproof then the Berghaus Munro might be worth a look, I used one back in my roadie days, bashed about, overpacked with hard and oddly shaped bits of gear, it never failed. Not much of a back system though.

:)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Just to throw another one in the ring, if you want bombproof then the Berghaus Munro might be worth a look, I used one back in my roadie days, bashed about, overpacked with hard and oddly shaped bits of gear, it never failed. Not much of a back system though.

:)

Much as i use my munro. I think think they are a bit outdated nowadays.
Karrimoor predator 30 would be my choice

Brynglas

A lot ot the current design in relation to packs relies on lightweight fabrics and a lot of smaller fittings and pockets that for me just increase the chances of things going wrong or getting damaged.

My old MacPac and Berghaus bags are far more robust and sturdy than my newer Haglofs pack.

An excellent British maker is Aiguille Alpine in the lake district. I have a a bumbag and a sack from them that I use for ski touring and it's fantastic, excellent build quality, string zips and fabrics. It's definitely my favourite. (I have no connection with Aiguille other than being a happy customer)

Last edited:

Irvy

Mar 29, 2015
Glasgow
I snatched up that sabre 45 that Lou was sellig on here. Pretty cool that you can add the sidepacks later on if you need more space.

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
I owned kifaru, mystery ranch, arc'teryx, and ended by CRUX AK47.
It just not necessary in this size category, over engineered, heavy cordura 1000, tactical ....
CRUX bombproof, ultralight, comfortable for this size. Great for cycling climbing or running, or just multi day ruck.
Found only one contra, not a lot ventilation on back.
But tis is problem for most backpack in this size(exception spezial ventilated back system).

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
Just as info.
Beware crux 37 have short back frame and small shoulder pads, in different size (1, 2, 3) all was same short ( i am not big).
But ab AK47 size system work correct.
This ruck very simple compress to small size, to 30 no problem.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've used Karrimor and MacPac's and loved them both at least until I discovered Osprey. Currenly using the Exos 58, big enough for multiday trips and can be flattened for shorter trips, ridiculously light too. Think I did a review on here somewhere. I've also got one of their Talon range and the child carrier, attention to detail on their packs are fantastic.

I would suggest though that if you're buying new go into a shop, ask them to load up several packs and try them on. The Osprey child carrier we've got I find very comfortable but my wife cannot get on with it. Any good outdoor shop will be more than happy to do this, the last thing you want is to get miles from home and start getting aches, pains, rubbing etc.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Agree totally, wear them innthe shop with a load in them. Its the only way to tell if a sack works for you. We did justbtyis for my wife a few years ago amd she picked out the Osprey as the most comfy for her, lucky for her that I was paying !

bridget

Banned
Apr 21, 2015
Exeter, Devon
found a 'Day pack' basic side pockets and waterproof for £6.99 looks lite and of a simple design holds about 15 ltrs I think has straps 'for extras' at the base with room to mod is my thinking?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE