backing with rawhid?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
ok folks I have made a few bows now and am not to bad! But I want to back the one I am making at the mo with rawhide. But what glue is best in rawhide?
Chris

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
www.nativeawareness.co.uk
chrisanson said:
ok folks I have made a few bows now and am not to bad! But I want to back the one I am making at the mo with rawhide. But what glue is best in rawhide?
Chris

Hi Chris

White carpenters glue works well. Don't go over the top with the amount of glue as it can get a litle messy. A light coating. I like to smooth the skin down with a wrap of bandages, lets the air in to dry it.

Try and get the thinest skin you can find or sand a thicker one. I backed a purple heart bow with a very thin hide. Looked fantastic as the purple came through the transparent rawhide.

I hope this helps,

James :)

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
Hello James ,
Ya thanks m8 that dos help! I was thinking more along the lines of araldite or evostick. Ok so do you put the rawhide on damp?
Chris
PS nice site .

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
chrisanson said:
Hello James ,
Ya thanks m8 that dos help! I was thinking more along the lines of araldite or evostick. Ok so do you put the rawhide on damp?
Chris
PS nice site .

Chris.

I haven't any experience with evostick or araldite. Are they water soluble?

I cut the hide to size whilst dry. One piece for each limb, with a little over lap at the handle.
Soak for about an hour or so, depending on the thickness.
Dry the hide with a towel.
Smear the glue on the skin.
Place one piece of rawhide on back of bow.
Wrap one limb with bandage working from handle to nocks. Not too tight. Stretch rawhide slightly at knocks away from handle to remove air bubbles.
Do the same with other limb with over lap at handle.
Leave for a couple of days to dry.
Pace up and down impatiently wanting to see what it looks like.
Remove bandage.
I leave for a week to dry further.
Trim edges with cabinet scraper, or the likes.
Jobs a good un!

And you could also use my preference, hide glue.

James

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
Nice one m8 thanks a lot. Its pretty much what I was thinking but its always nice to be reassured !( all the best books tell you what you already know). Thanks again.
Chris

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
chrisanson said:
Nice one m8 thanks a lot. Its pretty much what I was thinking but its always nice to be reassured !( all the best books tell you what you already know). Thanks again.
Chris

No worries. Good to talk bows. Why are you backing? Are you using sawn timber?
Too right about books. I’m teaching a guy to make his first bow. I've banned him from reading a book on the subject until he’s finished his first. I want him to get to no the process in his muscles before he confuses himself with the books. Tuff on him when visiting, I see him eyeing up the bowyers bibles and such like on my shelves! I no a lot of people (me included) get a bit apprehensive about starting there first bow after reading a lot(information over load). He’s hooked already. After the first foot of working down to a growth ring he was planning his next bow. Can’t wait to give him a book and show him the possibilities. :eek:

James

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
Hello again,
Yes it is sawn timber (a peace of American white ash). And yes I like to get my “hands on”, I feel the job much better that way. I find working wood nice and relaxing after working steel all day.
Chris

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Ordinary wood glue ( I use Titebond 2) or hide glue (not the liquid kind as it takes forever to dry).

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
Snufkin said:
Ordinary wood glue ( I use Titebond 2) or hide glue (not the liquid kind as it takes forever to dry).

Right “ Titebond 2” I will try that on another bow , thanks.
I intend this to be something of an ongoing thing , all abit experimental. Is Titebond 2 readily available from the B&Q etc? or is it something that I will need to get online?
Thanks again
Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE