Back to civilisation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

So how do you store your kit when you get back to civilisation?

• I keep everything in my pack ready to go

Votes: 31 37.3%
  • I stow each item away separately

Votes: 27 32.5%
  • I leave everything where it falls!

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Dunno...

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Some other option

Votes: 12 14.5%

• Total voters
ScottC said:
Do you know about something we don't?! :eek:

Ayeee maybe I do and maybee I don't! :cool:

Remember...if it goes pear shaped in our time, leave the cities, head for the CENSORED-CLASSIFIED INFORAMATION

Good ole UK gov aint gonna look after us and that's a dead cert. If anyone has ever been directly involved in civil emergency planning within the UK here in the last 40 years or so you will already know that. And no man there's nothing dodgy in the barrells that I'll admit to or imply here!

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Most of my kit will stay in the pack. The exceptions to that are;

Sleeping bag, tarp (tent on those very rare occations), underblanket and hammock get hung up in the loft to air until I need to re pack for next time. This way they are dry, aired and the loft of the sleeping bag and underblanket are not over compressed.

All cooking and eating and wash gear is washed again then stowed away.

First aid kit re stocked if needed

Fuel bottles re filled

Herbs and spices re stocked and packed.

I do like to check stuff over and make any repairs needed as well.

Most of the time I enjoy this as it gets me close to understanding my kit and reviewing how it's performing. There are times when everything is wet and covered in mud that I have to force myself in to doing it.

The advantages is that it only takes me 20 minutes to pack for a trip.

david

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Every thing is washed, oiled, cleaned and repacked. Sleeping bag and bivvi bag hung next to rucksack, as is goretex. All hung in a corner of my studio and draped with a sheet. In gerneral principle i try to keep out the spiders, of which bushcraft has cured me of my phobia! Takes up very little space that way and is ready to roll in about 5 mins.

Dehydrated food is stored in mess tins and plastic box in sack. If the mood hits me and the day has been ****ty, I can be in the woods in under an hour and just spend the night getting my head straight. :umbrella:

S :)

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
w00dsmoke said:
Ayeee maybe I do and maybee I don't! :cool:

Remember...if it goes pear shaped in our time, leave the cities, head for the CENSORED-CLASSIFIED INFORAMATION

Good ole UK gov aint gonna look after us and that's a dead cert. If anyone has ever been directly involved in civil emergency planning within the UK here in the last 40 years or so you will already know that. And no man there's nothing dodgy in the barrells that I'll admit to or imply here!

I gather I'll have enough time to find my gear without all that organization when it starts going pearshaped...

CENSORED-CLASSIFIED INFORAMATION = Outer Hebrides? :confused: :D

Axe Catcher

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
The Wilds of Stratford-upon-Avon!
I have a habit of packing up messily after an outing, so back in civ I unpack everything, air it out, make sure it's dry and mud free (I attract mud like a mud-magnet) and then once everything is clean and dry I re-pack it ready for the next outing. I have a spot on top of my wardrobe that just about fits my packed ruck and I can just pull it down, stick my tin box in the back of my car, and away I go next time. No fuss, no muss and most importantly, nothing gets forgotten.

AC

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I have a couple of large rucksacks in the corner of the office which are known affectionately as the kit monsters! All of the kit is stored in them and items are then selected from a set of kit lists I have for each type of outing (Winter Day Walk, Spring/Autumn Overnighter etc.).

This works well for me, in the past if kit is not ordered well it ends up all over the place and gets mislaid. There is nothing worse than buying a new piece of kit to replace a mislaid item then finding the original the next day!

Stewey. :D

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
w00dsmoke said:

Blimey...that sounds very secretive.....you're not some kind of Free Mason are you! lol :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Funny handshakes and trousers rolled up before we're allowed into you NBC bunker ;)

(and I am pulling your leg a bit about the nbc shelter...no offence meant :) )

Bam. :D

bambodoggy said:
Blimey...that sounds very secretive.....you're not some kind of Free Mason are you! lol :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Funny handshakes and trousers rolled up before we're allowed into you NBC bunker ;)

(and I am pulling your leg a bit about the nbc shelter...no offence meant :) )

Bam. :D

I hope you are being on the level with me brother... :p no offence taken pmsl

Just don't believe everything that the government tells you that you should do in a civil emergency :rolleyes: I'll just leave it at that.

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
Boot of the car for most of the stuff. I typically pull my multi-tool and knives out and take them into my flat.

All a bit ad hoc, sometimes take some of the stuff in an leave it lying about but predominantly keep it in the car.

mine all gets cleaned and then repacked.
allows for spontaneous trips away (or anything potentailly unpleasent happening)
only thing i dont repack is meths as i have a fear of mehts flooding my bergen and being a fire hazard
mind you i have assorted bits of kit lying around the house too
Cheers
Sam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE