Back to civilisation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

So how do you store your kit when you get back to civilisation?

• I keep everything in my pack ready to go

Votes: 31 37.3%
  • I stow each item away separately

Votes: 27 32.5%
  • I leave everything where it falls!

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Dunno...

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Some other option

Votes: 12 14.5%

• Total voters

PurpleHeath

Forager
Jan 5, 2005
West Sussex, England
i am a real slob unlike you guys, all the kit that has to come out when i get back does but the rest i usually leave in there for a day or two before i do anything with it, i am terrible! for that! i do clean my kit but it takes a while before it gets done!:oops:

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
My kit lives in 3 rucksacks, 8 plastic boxes `borrowed` from work :roll: and generally put on a stacking system from Argos.. too much gear in all!

Will get around to sorting it out one day and have just one pack with all i need, ready to go... yeah right ! :eek:):

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I get home my wife cleans the clothing and the cooking gear/utensils, I hang all the basha gear in the garden to dry, all my sharps get cleaned and oiled and locked away in the shed, And once that is all done it gets packed away ready for the next outing(except the sharps of course)

I do have a dedicated full wall cupboard that I use for all my gear that doesn't always go with me on trips, but the wife, Bless her! wants me to put it in the attic out of the way and where I will probably never see it again!
And thats about all really!:)

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I am terribly disorganized. Not only is my rucksack a mess when I am on a trip, but when I get back, I unpack only the things that will start to smell too bad (that doesn't include dirty clothes) if I leave it.

My equipment is also at any given time mostly scattered around. What is not laying around the house is probably hidden in the stack on my desk. :D

desk.JPG

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Torjus...love the style :lmao:

Coming back from an outing, I unpack everything, dry and maintain it (clean? - only when necessary) then I pack it away in areas where it's all easy to find.

I keep clothes at one end of the wardrobe, kit in a four drawer cabinet, belt, possibles pouch and neck sheath is hung up near the cabinet, rucksack on a chair ready to be packed and thermarest laid out on the floor. Food is packed in a ration bag and hung up near the kitchen.

All I have to do is go in in a systematic "circle" to pack the kit when I'm ready to escape again :D

Pablo

D

Deleted member 4605

Bit of both. Generally when I get back from a camp everything gets dumped. Over the next few days things are aired/washed/dried and stored. My 'usuals' (rather than possibles) bag is always packed, and I have a couple of locking cupboards in the garage where everything else is stored.

Odds'n'ends like my Mora, firesteel and Cegga axe are stored in various places around the house as I use them on a regular basis.

Various cupboards around the house have bits of camping gear in (plates, billys etc.) and bushcraft books and magazines are dotted around the house as well.

I try to keep everything together, but it all seems to migrate on it's own! :D

Because I use my gear a lot, it's generall multi use gear it's always available. I have dedicated drawers for sharps and small kit like survival gear and these are generally bagged and stored ready to grab n go. There always the basic in my car for emergency anyway. Tents and sleeping bags are stored loose in massive bags in the loft or under the bed. I've got plastic storage bins for the other gear like winter clothes, gaitors, bivi's n tarps. Some of my gear is hung up on the walls inside my house like reindeers skins, canoe paddles, throwbags/ropes etc...Stoves are stored in the shed with lots and lots of fuel incase of civil emergency and cooking gear stored dry in a shelf in the kitchen in dedicated canvas bags. I have alarge dedicated medical kit kept in the house-drugs rotated regulary but it is in a grab bag ready to go...Flares are stored in fireproof damp and explosion proof boxes in hut, 10 days worth of rations for a family of 4 are stored under beds and rotated regulary. Respirators/suits are stored inside the house (We are not far from Faslane!) The other non essential but nice to have gear in an emergency is stored safe underground in a plastic drum in a stash.

Essentially the whole family is catered for with tents and sleeping bags and food n tools for a bit of self sufficiency when and if the need arises so they are all mostly familiar with it all and where it is.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
w00dsmoke said:
Because I use my gear a lot, it's generall multi use gear it's always available. I have dedicated drawers for sharps and small kit like survival gear and these are generally bagged and stored ready to grab n go. There always the basic in my car for emergency anyway. Tents and sleeping bags are stored loose in massive bags in the loft or under the bed. I've got plastic storage bins for the other gear like winter clothes, gaitors, bivi's n tarps. Some of my gear is hung up on the walls inside my house like reindeers skins, canoe paddles, throwbags/ropes etc...Stoves are stored in the shed with lots and lots of fuel incase of civil emergency and cooking gear stored dry in a shelf in the kitchen in dedicated canvas bags. I have alarge dedicated medical kit kept in the house-drugs rotated regulary but it is in a grab bag ready to go...Flares are stored in fireproof damp and explosion proof boxes in hut, 10 days worth of rations for a family of 4 are stored under beds and rotated regulary. Respirators/suits are stored inside the house (We are not far from Faslane!) The other non essential but nice to have gear in an emergency is stored safe underground in a plastic drum in a stash.

Essentially the whole family is catered for with tents and sleeping bags and food n tools for a bit of self sufficiency when and if the need arises so they are all mostly familiar with it all and where it is.

Wow! :eek:

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Sharps live in the house hidden and out of reach of small hands. The rest is either car or shed depending on if I use it day to day or just on a camp.

Matt.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
torjusg said:
I am terribly disorganized. Not only is my rucksack a mess when I am on a trip, but when I get back, I unpack only the things that will start to smell too bad (that doesn't include dirty clothes) if I leave it.

My equipment is also at any given time mostly scattered around. What is not laying around the house is probably hidden in the stack on my desk. :D

desk.JPG

:yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I have two main bags, Rucksack for overnight and Daysack for bimbles.

Some stuff stays in the rucksack, mug, plate, cutlery, inflatable pillow etc, but the rest gets stored back in my wardrobe or garage. This is because I need differrent kit each time I go out, it could be hiking, bushcraft camp, sailing, weekend course etc..

Sleeping bags ALWAYS get hung up. ;)

Boots live in the boot of my car.

The Daysack always has my SAK, LED Maglite, Crusader cup and cooker, Binoculars, field guides, matches, noodles, bog roll and for some reason my DC4 stone! :)

The only bit of kit that stays with me is my 58 Pattern water bottle and that even comes to work because the water at home tastes better, is somehow more "alive" and reminds me that there is a real world out there. (I have no windows in the office, its really crap) :(

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
w00dsmoke said:

Do you know about something we don't?! :eek:

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
w00dsmoke said:

I know I should be impressed but instead I find myself a bit freaked out :eek: Can never remember where all my gear is and my contingecy plan if it all kicks off involves bending over placing my lips on my own buttocks and kissing my ar*e goodbye :lmao:

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
"The other non essential but nice to have gear in an emergency is stored safe underground in a plastic drum in a stash."

Whats that then w00dsmoke? The guns 'n' grenades for when the feds come a' knocking? :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE