Back from the Wilderness Gathering

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oh that was so much fun! I particularly enjoyed trying out the Atlatls (and I want to make one NOW, this second!) but the whole weekend was a lovely chilled experience even if I was supposed to be working.
There are now a few more silly yet practical hats wandering the wilderness, and I met loads of lovely people. Roll on next year :)
edited to add, I clearly can't spell 'Wilderness' in the thread title, oops!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sally,

Tell your fellah that Red says his woodwork is truly lovely - a very talented man indeed!

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Sounds like you had a good time. Why don't you make an atlatl? I quickly made one at the recent EMCCU bushcraft weekend with some British Blades people. It was nothing complicated, I had made a dutch arrow and saw a j shaped stick with a small twig coming out at the start of the curve. I cut off the rest of the j leaving the twig to sit the arrow on. It probably wouldn't last too long but it certainly worked and we were able to throw the arrow a fair few metres on our first goes. I reckon with practice, I could have got a good range and accuracy with it.

I may stick a post up on making dutch arrows some time. I want to make one with feathered flights instead of cardboard ones!

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I had a good time there - didn't meet as many BCUKers as I'd hoped, but saw sallyinwales, Mr & Mrs Riven and Dave Budd - and someone else at Dave's stand but still can't remember his BCUK name, and "the 13 year old in the Swanndri". I watched Dave using his iron age forge on Saturday but it's a shame I got back to his stand late on Sunday afternoon, as I was hoping to see if he would make me a firesteel while I watched, but he'd unfortunately run out of charcoal.

Marcus' wild food masterclass was interesting and the whole site is a lovely location. Nice just to get out there and play in the woods...but glad I was a long way from the pounding stereos in the car park. :rolleyes:

Geoff

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Well, I'm suitably shattered! It was a lovely chilled weekend (except when forging!) and as far as I know there was only one minor 'incident' and that was dealt with by tying the drunk bloke up in his sleeping bag :D

The lad helping me out was George, he's a member here (forget his username though) and he was a great help! Many thanks little mate! :) he may be young but he knows his stuff, so was able to help people when I was busy sweating away next to the forge. I managed to get through over 50Kg of charcoal this weekend! :O I think that next year I will do more structured demos and have a blackboard up with times of forging and sharpening demos ;)

Glad everyone had such a good time there, I know I did. I just didn't get to see much during the daytime sadly. Still it did mean that I spent less money :lol:

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
We both had a good time (Mrs Riven and me) over the weekend.Lots of interesting things to do,some great characters,and lots of teepees.Had lovely views early morning of the Bison and Deer.Nice to meet so many like minded people.Sorry to djcalvert for not catching up with you,I was half asleep when we met in the morning.Oh,and thank god it didn't rain. Riven.

Leon in that case a big thanks for standing there all weekend trying to sell my tat :You_Rock_
its still packed in the bergan ready for next years stall :eek: :eek: :D

thanks to Dave Budd and helper (Dog) for trotting by in the mornings and putting up with a chat (warning the Dog likes Sausage sticks :eek: )
And Rob still hasnt recoverd from a wolf apearing in his tent door at early 'O' clock :D :D :D :yikes:

ATB

Duncan

leon-1

Leon in that case a big thanks for standing there all weekend trying to sell my tat :You_Rock_
its still packed in the bergan ready for next years stall :eek: :eek: :D

Duncan

No problems Mate, it was good to meet you, infact it was good to see faces old and new and I look forward to next year.

I would name everybody however it would take a long time as there were loads of people that came through, it was also good to catch up with that man of many talents (and clothes pegs:D) Ian Maxwell:).

No problems Mate, it was good to meet you, infact it was good to see faces old and new and I look forward to next year.

I would name everybody however it would take a long time as there were loads of people that came through, it was also good to catch up with that man of many talents (and clothes pegs:D) Ian Maxwell:).

What was the score with the pink day-glow pegs?? I had one clipped on my possibles pouch - thought it was like being given the black spot!!! :eek:

Phil.

leon-1

What was the score with the pink day-glow pegs?? I had one clipped on my possibles pouch - thought it was like being given the black spot!!! :eek:

Phil.

It's a game you play on one of the tracking courses, but you are not allowed to clip the instructors, which normally means that Max is covered in them by the end of the course.:D

I got the blame for having done it and it wasn't me "Honest Guvvna", so the pegs were revenge, there were pink, green and orange. Max had quite a collection by the last day:D.

I daresay I will be on the receiving end of a practical joke that has been planned for a year, but it was worth it:D.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Good to see ya again Leon, phil, the forest knights team and all the others I bumped into who frequent this place - hope those of you who were there as volunteers/staff enjoyed the party on the sunday night!;)

Fire Starter

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2005
England
I really enjoyed the gathering this year lots more to see and some new schools teaching.I was on the lookout for BCUK members but didn't see any. Were you all wearing camouflage and hiding in the woods?
Unfortunately I spent more time talking to people and ended up missing the classes I wanted to attend, ah well next year.
I got to admit that I stood in awe when I looked in at the backwoods stand, the range of skills and crafts shown seem to cover every aspect of bushcraft.
Patrick if your listing in I think your the finest bushcrafter this country has to offer and a genuine non pretentious man to boot. I must polish up on my Glaswegian though!!

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Thanks for the kind words firestarter although I only agree with the non pretentious part - are you looking for a free course.:lmao:

I also enjoyed the gathering this year although I seem to spend my time talking and miss out on a lot.

Only met a few BCUK members myself, too much kit to carry, falcon and bamboodoggy - I enjoyed the natter lads, see you next year

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE